Copper core plugs. Why all the interest lately?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
There have been several copper core threads lately. I was under the impression that all the performance plugs were copper core and some were plated with different substances. I will admit to not knowing a lot about the makeup of spark plugs. I know that they apply a charge to a gap that creates a spark and ignites the air fuel mixture.

I generally use what works for others. With the old style heads it was ht0 or ht1 and with the new heads I've been using the NGK Iridium plugs. I know that both kinds are copper core and I know that's good for a performance application.

I'm wondering why all the copper core threads have popped up lately? Is this a topic somewhere else? Has anyone come up with some testing data that shows a significant advantage for one over the other?

Just wondering what all the interest is about.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know where all the interest came from either?
But I am a believer in copper over platinum from a performance standpoint.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Copper conducts electricity much better than most metals, including iridium and platinum. However, copper doesn't last as long. That's why the OEM's have gone to platinum for longer maintenance intervals (great selling point on new cars), while enthusiasts look to copper plugs for better spark.

skyline247

forum member
Reaction score
Copper conducts electricity much better than most metals, including iridium and platinum. However, copper doesn't last as long. That's why the OEM's have gone to platinum for longer maintenance intervals (great selling point on new cars), while enthusiasts look to copper plugs for better spark.

Thanks for the input. I was wondering about this myself. Makes perfect sense though lol.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

I understand this much. I'm just wondering why there is a plethora of copper core threads lately. Did a magazine do an article or something? Lol?

My understanding is that even copper core plugs are plated with a longer lasting metal. Like the iridium ngk plugs. They are still copper core for conductivity, just plated with iridium.

I guess it's really a non issue.

Morris

forum member
Reaction score
I think there just a lot of guys who are reaching the mileage where you start thinking about maintenance. That's what got me here anyway.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
^ Nah, probably ran out of "what color stripe looks best" posts.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back