D-1SC on a stock block?

B

Black Heart

Has anybody done this or know someone that has?

I've heard one person say that 8-10psi on a D-1 will give you about the same rwhp that the P-1SC will. I want to do this because I plan to build the motor next year but have the Money for the blower now and the D-1 will bring me greater numbers later on. The car is my daily driver, I do anywhere from 12-15k miles a year, and it runs the quarter mile maybe twice a month. I plan on upgrading the fuel rails, pumps, injectors, plugs, and clutch along with the blower. I will also have it Dyno tuned at a local shop who has built some nasty procharged s197's. Before I asked the people at the shop I wanted to get some more opinions.

So do you think I will be safe? Any Suggestions or Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

SC boss

watch this!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
TUNE TUNE TUNE! A good tune and that boost I think you will last a long time (my personal opinion though). Take it from me, 12psi and an aggressive tune = trouble! llisten to the guys that know alot more on here, they will chime in soon.

Shawn

Last edited:

DirtyDogOfTheDesert

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You'll be fine. It's in the tune, and amount of boost you run. Keep it in the 8-10 psi range with a safe tune.

Don't get aggresive with it until after you build a motor for it.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hmm, if you have the money for the S/C, you could just get the built short block first and then get the S/C later when you save up more money.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
but then he misses out on the added power for how ever long it takes to get the grub stake together again!

B

Black Heart

Hmm, if you have the money for the S/C, you could just get the built short block first and then get the S/C later when you save up more money.

Actually after I added everything up the build would be more. I also want to enjoy a year of having a supercharged Mustang without any problems. Because once the big HP numbers come in I'll probably break s*it left and right lol. I am an aggressive driver.

If you guys think I will be fine though I will go ahead and push it. I'm also wondering, in the future, If I wanted to switch the D-1 out for a F-1...will I be able to keep the piping of the D-1 installed and just buy an F-1 blower?

Last edited by a moderator:

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was just mentioning it as I sometimes wish I would have gone with the built short block first. Then again till I put the S/C on, I didn't think I'd need a built short block, I got a bit more power and wanter more and more.

DirtyDogOfTheDesert

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes you can keep all your piping etc... but to go F1 you need of course, the new F1 blower, and also an F1 blower bracket. All the other stuff fits. At that point you should also strongly consider getting the larger "race" blow off valve, and larger intercooler.

B

Black Heart

I was just mentioning it as I sometimes wish I would have gone with the built short block first. Then again till I put the S/C on, I didn't think I'd need a built short block, I got a bit more power and wanter more and more.

I hear ya man, I know a few months after the blower I'll be itching to get that bottom end built haha... I have a bunch of friends with built fox bodies and 99-04's and they tell me to enjoy my car while it can be daily driven. This is my second GT but the first that I have modified and I think I am going to take their advice.

Dirty Dog, SC boss, Zman...Thank you for the help.

SC boss

watch this!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Im with you on that! Now I have a supercharger but no motor! lol Cant wait till Larry gets back from his around the world adventure but then he will be married and have to get permission to build my motor.... he he (just kidding Larry. Congrats!)

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Im with you on that! Now I have a supercharger but no motor! lol Cant wait till Larry gets back from his around the world adventure but then he will be married and have to get permission to build my motor.... he he (just kidding Larry. Congrats!)

Ha ha, from what Larry told me his wifey to be seems pretty cool. He is also looking to become a vendor and doing the engine building thing on a more regular basis.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The engine he is building for my 65 is about done, but I'm not going to be able to pick it up till after he gets back. Good choice going to one of his engines though.

usmcpony

forum member
Reaction score
Actually after I added everything up the build would be more. I also want to enjoy a year of having a supercharged Mustang without any problems. Because once the big HP numbers come in I'll probably break s*it left and right lol. I am an aggressive driver.

If you guys think I will be fine though I will go ahead and push it. I'm also wondering, in the future, If I wanted to switch the D-1 out for a F-1...will I be able to keep the piping of the D-1 installed and just buy an F-1 blower?
Dont quote me on this but I was talking to procharger and they said if you plan on upgrading the D-1 to the F-1 you have to get the stage II kt with the larger intercooler. Your best bet is to call them to see if they have new or changed parts with kits. From the research I have seen the D-1 compared to the PS-1 delivers about 30-40HP more at lower boost levels. This is with two identical cars with the same peak numbers about 480RWHP. I think the PS-1 was at 11-12lbs. and the D-1 was at 9-10lbs.

usmcpony

forum member
Reaction score
I hear ya man, I know a few months after the blower I'll be itching to get that bottom end built haha... I have a bunch of friends with built fox bodies and 99-04's and they tell me to enjoy my car while it can be daily driven. This is my second GT but the first that I have modified and I think I am going to take their advice.

Dirty Dog, SC boss, Zman...Thank you for the help.

Also if your worried about a daily driver I wouldnt worry to much. A friend of mine has a 2005 Saleen, built 302ci stroker kit, livernois stage III heads, Comp cams stage III, Vortech S-trim 14lbs and dyno at 587RWHP and drives like my car which is almost stock until you lay into the throttle and from that time on its a completely different car. I have driven it my self and the car pulls HARD until you let off the throttle. Can break the tires in fourth gear at 120MPH and very controllable at the same time. The car was tuned at Modular Depot here in Cincinnati, Ohio and to be honest you can barely hear the loap of the cams. The car is almost a sleeper cause everything is almost silent including the Vortech.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back