Decided to paint my car myself.

MrBhp

Reaction score
So.... what really lead to painting the car was the hood. A few years ago when I was sick I got the idea I needed to sell the car. So I started detailing it. Previous owner had done a fairly good job on hiding rock chips. I was going to do a mild cut and polish. After a few minutes the hood looked like it had been shot with a 12 ga. This is where it ended basically. Sat like this for almost 3 years.
So here it is getting ready for primer.
20200715_155641.jpg

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is pretty neat. I've only painted things (not entire car panels) with rattle cans, and I've gotten decent results. (The most important part of using rattle cans is surface prep.)

You mentioned something about putting clear coat on top of single-stage paint. Single-stage is paint and clearcoat mixed, right? Can I ask why--since you're going to clear coat it, anyway--you aren't just using "regular" paint?

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
You can still clear single stage, in fact you should. Single stage just gives you pigment all the way to the top, and gives more gloss once you clear. We did the summit single stage then clear on a Bug and a Vette and looked great

MrBhp

Reaction score
When you buff that, it's gonna look HOLLWOOD!!!!!

That looks really good.
Thank you! I'm really surprised. I also won a bet with that hood. The friend that I worked for that owns the body shop told me that there was no way my gun would do the job. After he saw the base coat he said "yeah it will paint base, impressive. But you're not laying down clear with that gun". I now have a crisp 100 dollar bill in my pocket. I only paid 70 for the gun.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I'm really surprised. I also won a bet with that hood. The friend that I worked for that owns the body shop told me that there was no way my gun would do the job. After he saw the base coat he said "yeah it will paint base, impressive. But you're not laying down clear with that gun". I now have a crisp 100 dollar bill in my pocket. I only paid 70 for the gun.

What gun did you use?

MrBhp

Reaction score
The best paint gun money can buy, at harbor freight. Lol. Actually it's not their most expensive gun. It's the one that sells for around $70. It's a copy of the old style Sata.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
As with any specialized talent...you gotta start somewhere. Looks like you're off to an amazing start. Can't wait to see the finished product.

MrBhp

Reaction score
LOL i will drop my car off when you are done with yours
I have considered it. But dam it is a lot of work.

I can tell that I need to enlarge my booth. I set it up 4 feet narrower than it could be in order to easily fit inside the shop. And it's about 4 feet too narrow. I need to find another used air handler that I can pull the squirrel cage out of. Need more air flow.

Aerofinz

Reaction score

MrBhp

Reaction score
My previous post brings up a good point. I can apparently get the product on the panel to my satisfaction. Which in itself is really surprising to me. However, I really don't know the technical side. I have to rely on the recommendations of others to know what products to use in a particular situation. That's something I hope to learn with experience.

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
Tip is a 1.4. I used Shopline clear, I think it's a PPG product.

Well, excellent job! I assume you dropped your pressure a little and opened the fluid up more to get the clear to lay like that. Although, it is entirely dependent on the type of clear and how high the solids are.
What is your schedule like...do you feel like doing my car? LOL

MrBhp

Reaction score
Well, excellent job! I assume you dropped your pressure a little and opened the fluid up more to get the clear to lay like that. Although, it is entirely dependent on the type of clear and how high the solids are.
What is your schedule like...do you feel like doing my car? LOL
Ha! Let's see how mine comes out when its finished.

I'm a piping designer by trade, which is basically an undegreed engineer. I have a prospect in Houston and one in Corpus. If one of those comes thru, I'll be on the gtfo train out of here for the duration of that job. But honestly it's not looking great for either one of those. So who knows? I may end up spraying a few cars. I'll pencil you in. Lol

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back