Decided to paint my car myself.

dtorres31

Reaction score
That hood looks like a professional did it! If you were a full time shop, I would probably have you do my 2002 Mustang GT! Still looking for someone to trust in San Antonio.

MrBhp

Reaction score
That hood looks like a professional did it! If you were a full time shop, I would probably have you do my 2002 Mustang GT! Still looking for someone to trust in San Antonio.
Got to be an ese or two that can paint in San Antonio. There's a couple here, but they are insanely expensive. One wanted 13k to paint my car.

MrBhp

Reaction score
Well, excellent job! I assume you dropped your pressure a little and opened the fluid up more to get the clear to lay like that. Although, it is entirely dependent on the type of clear and how high the solids are.
What is your schedule like...do you feel like doing my car? LOL
Yeah I'm running the fluid all the way out, all the gun will spray. I used 28 psi on the hood. I still had to be real careful to not get any dry spots, which is one of the issues of using a cheap gun I hear. Fan is a bit smaller than a high end gun. I think I'll just keep compensating for it before I go and spend 750 on a better one.

MrBhp

Reaction score
Another thread I let drop to the wayside. Sorry guys.

Here's the (hopefully not final) outcome to my foray into the autobody/paint business.
The following is a quote from two years ago when this thread was active.
My previous post brings up a good point. I can apparently get the product on the panel to my satisfaction. Which in itself is really surprising to me. However, I really don't know the technical side. I have to rely on the recommendations of others to know what products to use in a particular situation. That's something I hope to learn with experience.

Turned out to be somewhat prophetic. LOL Check out the following pictures.

20220128_132021.jpg 20220128_132114.jpg 20220128_132148.jpg

So, here's "the rest of the story". (Thanks Paul)
The last night I painted was when I did the driver side door, passenger side fender, and half the front bumper. I was painting to about 1AM. That's when the wind is at it's lowest and even though I'm in a filtered air booth, I still will take every advantage I can get. After I finish a spray session, my habit is to step outside the side door of the shop where I have a wood palette leaning up against a stack of wood. That's where I clean my gun and hang it there overnight. After my paint session that night I walked up to the house, took a shower, and turned in. I woke up around 5am to the thought that I did not clean the gun. I figured it was ruined by now since the last thing that went through it was clear. I got up anyway and went out to the shop. I picked up the gun, went in the shop, and to my absolute horror saw about a quarter inch of clear in the cup. My horror was increased when I realized the clear had not set up. It was still as liquid as it was hours earlier. As a matter of fact I was able to clean the gun just fine. But...... if the clear in the gun didn't harden, what about the clear on the car???? It looked great, but didn't seem right. I pulled the car into the sun to look it over and bake a bit. I recalled having a bit of a sag right above the door handle. Not quite a run. I got a new razer blade to cut it out and that's when the heartbreak began. The sag was still soft. Couldn't even cut it. I could push a fingernail in the clear, all over. I called the paint store. He asked what hardener I used and I told him it was the one he sold me just yesterday. After looking at his records he says, "Oh no, you bought additive for the base coat, not clear. They are completely different things". I said no, YOU SOLD ME ADDITIVE FOR BASE, NOT CLEAR".
He said it would eventually harden in the sun so it sat outside for a week and got a bit harder, but crinkled a bit. I let it sit another week then hit it with 600 grit and brought it to a beautiful finish with lots of machine polishing work. Then it crinkled again in about a month, so I cut it again. And it crinkled again. By this time I had cut through the clear in several places. (And I had moved to Oregon.) The clear was never going to be right. Clear uses chemical reaction to harden. No amount of air, heat, or sun will work. By the time I got back to Texas my paint booth had been disassemble and I was dealing with cancer, again. So it still has the crappy paint on it. Poor car. But the hood still looks amazing! And the other front bumper looks great as well. It is sitting wrapped up in a blanket upstairs in the shop. And me and my car are in Connecticut for cancer treatment, again. F' me.

So for you few guys who wanted me to paint your car, aren't you glad you didn't?

MrBhp

Reaction score
dang - painful read on many levels - sorry to hear / see all the troubles
Appreciate it. But as I said before, I don't sweat it. And I certainly don't go looking for sympathy. Except from my wife. Lol.

I hope I can find a shop here in New England that will let me rent a booth on a weekend. I really want to finish this thing. With my two hands.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back