Detailing Questions-Answered

superslow86

forum member
Reaction score
^ I always use my power washer. A quick spray down with the 40 degree tip, then hit it with the foam cannon then another rinse with the 40 degree (also spray off the wheels and wheels wells and whatever else I can on the underside of the car) then 2 bucket method with a final rinse using the hose and sheeting method. I also spray FK425 or CV7 on before I wipe it dry to help minimize scratches from hand drying. I am thinking about buying a leaf blower so I can just blow it dry as well.

5.0 Probie

forum member
Reaction score
^ Good to know thank you... I just called my plumber to install hot/cold basen in my garage (FOr towles, dirty hands ETC) do I can hook up the hose to the hot line when washing...

Thanks for the info on the tips... My unit came with a bunch of them and a soap tank...

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
Think about it this way. The more you touch the car the greater the chance is to scratch/marr the paint. So if you pressure wash, cannon, and rinse again you could get most of the dirt of prior to even touching it.

Drying wise is the same. You can "sheet" each panel then blow dry it then follow over with some QD as a lube/drying aid in the towel. It makes a huge difference.

5.0 Probie

forum member
Reaction score
Well... After taking a few weeks to read and understand all of this... I think I will just start hunting for a great detailer that locals know and trust vs. some punk fly by night that seem to pop up four or five times a year...

By the time I buy the multiple pads, polisher, MF, and six bottles of this and that I am over $500. And reading I have to do it 2-3 times a year, well... I would rather pay someone else to do that at this point. This is the wrong car for me to learn on from were I sit.

Thank you all for your help!

28ONE

Reaction score
Well... After taking a few weeks to read and understand all of this... I think I will just start hunting for a great detailer that locals know and trust vs. some punk fly by night that seem to pop up four or five times a year...

By the time I buy the multiple pads, polisher, MF, and six bottles of this and that I am over $500. And reading I have to do it 2-3 times a year, well... I would rather pay someone else to do that at this point. This is the wrong car for me to learn on from were I sit.

Thank you all for your help!

Find a detailer that can apply OptiCoat and you're good go! Since your car is new, won't really have to do any major paint correction before applying OC which will save you money...

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
Find a detailer that can apply OptiCoat and you're good go! Since your car is new, won't really have to do any major paint correction before applying OC which will save you money...

^This

I defiantly find someone legit to do the work. If your going to do that I would find someone that is opti pro certified instead. If they are pro certified they will be a little more legit I would think but the coating is gaureenteed also. I would contact these guys to see who is certified in your area.
http://opti-coat.com

5.0 Probie

forum member
Reaction score
^This

I defiantly find someone legit to do the work. If your going to do that I would find someone that is opti pro certified instead. If they are pro certified they will be a little more legit I would think but the coating is gaureenteed also. I would contact these guys to see who is certified in your area.
http://opti-coat.com

How do we tell if they are certified? I used the link, found a few folks on the USA link... Does not tell me more than they sell the product... Thanks for the help!

ANd a lot of the ratings spook me a bit. I just started looking, and most have some, what seem to be, complaints I worry about.

5.0 Probie

forum member
Reaction score
http://www.opti-coat.net/approved-dealers.php?state=WA

This is under their pro applicator tab. Your in Washington right? I'm not sure if any of these are close but theres some

Yep that is the link. The thing I had a hard time identifying is who is certified to apply it and who is just authorized to sell it.

I called Kyle and he spoke of some daddy do or something like that, product, not the one that sent me to his site.

Really appreciate the help though... I may just say the heck with it and go back to doing it myself. After with speaking with Kyle, I am not as comfortable or confident in giving my car for three to four days for them to apply the product they prefer to use, and the $350 price they want to do it. Not that it is worth it, but they told me it is an annual application. So why not just drop $500 and do it myself with the products you suggested... Sigh. Thak God it is winter time one the sun is not laughing at me as I struggle with what to do. :roflmao:

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
Yep that is the link. The thing I had a hard time identifying is who is certified to apply it and who is just authorized to sell it.

I called Kyle and he spoke of some daddy do or something like that, product, not the one that sent me to his site.

Really appreciate the help though... I may just say the heck with it and go back to doing it myself. After with speaking with Kyle, I am not as comfortable or confident in giving my car for three to four days for them to apply the product they prefer to use, and the $350 price they want to do it. Not that it is worth it, but they told me it is an annual application. So why not just drop $500 and do it myself with the products you suggested... Sigh. Thak God it is winter time one the sun is not laughing at me as I struggle with what to do. :roflmao:

I think everyone who is an authorized dealer of opti prp are certified installers because you have to be certified to even get it.

I would definitely think about doing it your self. Just set your self a budget and let us spend your money for you ;) lol. If you do it your self it gives you more options and uses put of products also. It's not hard to correct your paint and apply a sealant or coating its just time. If you rush your going to mess up but if you take your time and actually pay attention you'll be fine especially since your paint ahould still be in decent shape still

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
Kit looks good but I can't vouch for Pinnacle products though. I think you have to see where you want to start like actually polishing, just waxing and cleanliness, etc. but if you want to remove swirls or minor scratches your going to need some type of polisher. A glaze will help "fill" the swirls but they will still be there later. If you are looking to keep it as is and just protect it then that's defiantly a good start.

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
For swirl remover - Menzerna FG400 w/ Orange pad
Menzerna SF4500 w/ Blue pad
Menzerna SF4500 w/ Black Pad

Finish with 2 coats of Blacklight & Wax (Red Pad)

5.0 Probie

forum member
Reaction score
Well... Looks like I am finally getting off the sidelines... Came across Lethals sale today... http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109701

And am planning on getting...

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 - $20
Griotas Garage Wheel Cleaner 35oz. - $7
Pinnacle Ultra Poly Claybar 4oz - $10
Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine 32oz - $8
Pinnacle Liquid Souveran Car Wax - 16 oz - $20
Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish $Unknown

And then I will hunt for a polisher and pads...

Sale was just to good to pass up frankly...

Last edited:

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
Quick question-

I removed the vinyl stripes off the car today due to them being cracked and peeling in a couple of spots after a few years of them being on the car. Wanted to remove them before I attempted the paint correction. After reading the steps off of seers sticky thread, I had a question on the final steps. Once I'm done with the actual polishing and use a couple of coats of blacklight, do I have to wait 24 hours before putting on the coats of lava and v07? If I do have to wait I will, but will I have to wash the car off once again before applying the lava and v07?

I can't wait to finally detail the car like this. I'm hoping it'll make me like it again and keep me from wanting to go out and buy a new car this year. Kind of hoping to jump into a 2015 f150 or maybe fix my car up again and drop a new engine/FI in it.

28ONE

Reaction score
Quick question-

I removed the vinyl stripes off the car today due to them being cracked and peeling in a couple of spots after a few years of them being on the car. Wanted to remove them before I attempted the paint correction. After reading the steps off of seers sticky thread, I had a question on the final steps. Once I'm done with the actual polishing and use a couple of coats of blacklight, do I have to wait 24 hours before putting on the coats of lava and v07? If I do have to wait I will, but will I have to wash the car off once again before applying the lava and v07?

I can't wait to finally detail the car like this. I'm hoping it'll make me like it again and keep me from wanting to go out and buy a new car this year. Kind of hoping to jump into a 2015 f150 or maybe fix my car up again and drop a new engine/FI in it.

Once all the polishing is done, make sure you remove all the polishing oils before applying Blacklight to insure proper bonding of the sealant. I would wait 24 hours for Blacklight to fully cure then apply Lava...

Last edited:
Back