Votes: 38 46.3%
  • GT500 6 speed standard

Votes: 5 6.1%

• Total voters

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Basic question, I know first hand you want to run faster then 10.5's mostly all you will see are auto's just curious how many members are running what

05GT281

ole' legend lime
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
All my previous street rides and a couple race cars have been manuals but when I saw the three link rear the 5r55s became the only option imo

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
your not driving unless your shifting IMO.

Stick FTW

Hell yea! I LOVE this subject! I have the Stock Tremic 3650 and plan on installing a built TR6060.

Having to work the clutch, gas, shifter, steering, and brakes in a variety of different methods during different points of the same race as well as in different methods during other races on the same day is the best, true reflection of someone's skill as a driver.

Yes, you can get an auto to go fast all the time and very consistent. We are not having that argument. I just think that computers, automated hydraulics, centrifugal clutch and shifting systems, turn your car into a point and shoot appliance. The only thing the driver does is press the pedal at the right time and holds the wheel to keep it straight.

I would be willing to guess that any one of us can get in just about anyone else's auto, and within 3 to 5 passes, be running the same ET as the owner on the same day. The only real variance being the weight of the 2 drivers. Due to sticks being so widely varied performance wise, and the seat time need to get comfortable with a stick car, if I give any one of you 4 hours and 20 passes to match my ET in my car, unless you are a great driver, it would never happen.

2 of the top 3 2008 Pro Stick cars are manual trans Fox body Mustangs. Some of them are deep in the 8's running Lenco 5 speeds. I also saw an SN95 Turbo Manual 5 speed at MIR run 7.8xx @ 207 MPH on DR's.

Pro_Stick_Racing.jpg

Last edited:

jeostang

forum member
Reaction score
I'm running the stock 3650 right now. If cash allows after my build is don't I'll be switching to a 4r70w.

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
...Having to work the clutch, gas, shifter, steering, and brakes in a variety of different methods during different points of the same race as well as in different methods during other races on the same day is the best, true reflection of someone's skill as a driver....

Let's go all the way back to the early Ford's where you also had control over the spark advance on the steering column. And no power steering or brakes. And points and plugs. And let's all race on wagon wheels, then we get to see a "true" driver.

Me? Built 5R55S with a good TC.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
<<<< Wounded 5R55S (but it went a best of 10.37). Next up, a 4R70W.

I prefer to go quicker on the track, rather than compensating for low self-esteem by pretending that driving a manual somehow makes me more of a man. :moon2:

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Let's go all the way back to the early Ford's where you also had control over the spark advance on the steering column. And no power steering or brakes. And points and plugs. And let's all race on wagon wheels, then we get to see a "true" driver.

Seriously though, where do we draw the line?

Right now, today, I have the ability to setup a camera and tie it into the computer. I can program the computer to watch the tree and have the drive by wire go on the green (or last yellow, w/e) and pull a perfect 000 light every time. I also have the technology and ability to monitor and manage my traction and use the computer to tune the motor to put the max TQ to the tires, just before the break point, the whole distance of the track, making the car perform at 100% perfect every pass. Shit using IR style radar, I can even setup automatic steering to keep me on the track too.

The best part, there are no rules stopping me from using any of those technologies in the NMRA, NHRA, or IHRA. If I impliment these "automatic" funtions, sure it makes the car faster, but I am by no means a better driver; just a better geek / button pusher.

<<<< Wounded 5R55S (but it went a best of 10.37). Next up, a 4R70W.

I prefer to go quicker on the track, rather than compensating for low self-esteem by pretending that driving a manual somehow makes me more of a man. :moon2:

Ouch... I thought we were friends? :headscratch:

LOL

Last edited:

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Oh, did I mention auto trans were invented to make it easier and more appealing for women to drive, opening the market up for more sales?

:lol:

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score

^^^Wouldn't that turn into a "horse"power race? or would the aerodynamics of the covered wagons would play a role in determining a winner? haha!!

i'm with Matt though, gotta have at least one car that's a stick. but in all honesty, Auto for the track = pwnage.

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am going to be honest, when I got into the car scene I thought manual was the way to go for "manly" drivers. Not that I was trying to be manly, but I thought all the cool guys had sticks. I bought my manual because that's what I grew up on.......

But, since I have been introduced to the drag racing scene, auto is the way to go if you want to win and be consistent(sorry Marc). Yes, there are some damn good drivers out there with manuals winning championships, but they have a shitload of seat time.

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
IF only at the track... auto

Manual just more fun to drive... period.

If your car is a d/d like mine, or one you do drive on the street alot, manual is just more fun.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Aftermarket trans (4R70W).

I do have to shift, however. Just no clutch. I think high stall speed autos are fun.

Back