Drivetrain "slop" after drag strip.

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
So it sounds like a business opportunity to make a quality designed part that is machined to spec in such a way as to prevent any sort of slop in the mounting locations.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
So it sounds like a business opportunity to make a quality designed part that is machined to spec in such a way as to prevent any sort of slop in the mounting locations.

Go for it. :beer:

Keep in mind, when you are busy with R&D; just about every vehicle manufactured relies on torque/clamping force to secure the suspension components in place.

Here is another shot. This is the factory Upper Control Arm Mount, on a 2011+ Mustang. The bolt is an 18mm piece, similar to the factory bolt size....except it is not "stepped down" to a smaller size on the end.

Here is the "slop" within our CAB005 mounting point:

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
Wiley: You design something without any tolerance for the vagaries of a mass produced item assembled by humans and you'll get 3/4 of the item back because "it didn't fit". There has to be some tolerance for variation car-to-car. Aftermarket can reduce that but, you can't eliminate it entirely.

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
Alright guys, I've been contemplating this a bit more lately. I remember reading a while back I believe about someone having an issue with their flywheel bolts loosening up. I haven't torn into one of these cars at this point in my life to look at the design and how the clutch/flywheel/pressure plate assembly is assembled but in the event that somehow the bolts that hold the flywheel to the crankshaft or the pressure plate to the flywheel loosened up enough to allow slight angular deflection could that potentially be the issue?

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Alright guys, I've been contemplating this a bit more lately. I remember reading a while back I believe about someone having an issue with their flywheel bolts loosening up. I haven't torn into one of these cars at this point in my life to look at the design and how the clutch/flywheel/pressure plate assembly is assembled but in the event that somehow the bolts that hold the flywheel to the crankshaft or the pressure plate to the flywheel loosened up enough to allow slight angular deflection could that potentially be the issue?

No.

If your pressure plate bolts loosen (as they did on many 2011's), you'll lose the ability to shift the transmission. If the flywheel bolts loosen (very unlikely), you'll experience rattling, vibration, and starter engagement issues.

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
No.

If your pressure plate bolts loosen (as they did on many 2011's), you'll lose the ability to shift the transmission. If the flywheel bolts loosen (very unlikely), you'll experience rattling, vibration, and starter engagement issues.

Hm.... I'll keep mulling it over...

Potential Causes...

-Motor Mounts
-Flywheel Connection
-Clutch Plate (If sprung clutch)
-Pressure Plate Bolts
-Transmission Bolts to Engine

-Transmission Mount
-Internally in Transmission
-Driveshaft connection to Transmission
-Driveshaft Connection to Chassis (2-piece)
-Driveshaft Connection to Diff

-Ring and Pinion
-Differential
-Axles
-Lug Nuts (improbable)
-UCA to Body
-UCA to Axle
-LCA to Body
-LCA to Axle
-Panhard to Body
-Panhard to Axle

Those in Red are the ones we currently think do not cause the issue.....

I guess it's going to be transmission related but the only way to further diagnose that is to pull the tranny and test that.....

snopro442

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 2006 gt with the 5 spd. When I have the car parked in gear I roll the car back and forth using the rear tire and I get a very loud clunk coming out of the tail section of the tranny. car has 28,000 miles on it, one pc drive shaft both upc and lca are aftermarket. Have someone roll your car and lay down by the drivers door and you will hear it. that's my guess as to what your hearing.

skulls

forum member
Reaction score
Doing just generic internet research...seems this is a very common issue amoung many different cars and brands, the new fr-s seems to have this issue as well.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
Well...stating a fact from a actually related car, namely my 2012 Mustang: the tailshaft housing was one of the items taken out when my MT-82 spontaneously imploded. There is more driveline slack since Ford rebuilt it and this isn't a surprise, with tolerance stacking in the trans plus them having to pull the driveline components multiple times. I say to myself re. the additional noises, well, they fixed the trans and all appears to be functioning well, is it worth it to have them chase more subtle and occasional noises? Not really; chances are good they'd make more in an attempt to cure what's there.

char259

Wolf Pack Racing
Reaction score
No.

Agreed, I don't think this is the culprit. Friend on here Joe L had the pressure plate bolts back out and shifting slowly became a giant effort before it was fixed under warranty. I think it's just inherit of the trans, I have noticed a little of the symptoms described, mostly during low speeds.

Back