Dyno with 4r70w tranny.

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
After a long day at JDM, I left very satisfied. My car had the 60psi injectors installed, a BA 2400, and 10% OD pulley. Car made 470 whp and 408 torque when it went in. It left with 490whp and 466 torque. The problem is the converter that Len at Lentech sent me has a 4700 - 5000stall on it. When I bought the set up he told me the stall will be at 2600 - 2800. That in my opinion is a BIG difference. I got to talk to Len today, cause there is quite a big difference. So all in all 490 on a street tune Automatic isnt that bad.
Cant wait to take it to the track and put down the real numbers.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
congrats... very nice #s

rog06gt

Mash it!!!
Reaction score
Hi againstallodds, I'm curious about the complaint you had with boost in 1st gear, ie; no full boost or something like that, how is it now?
Are you going to switch the TC for a lower stall?
Cheers

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hi againstallodds, I'm curious about the complaint you had with boost in 1st gear, ie; no full boost or something like that, how is it now?
Are you going to switch the TC for a lower stall?
Cheers

Jim D'amore fixed the problem with 1st gear having little to no boost. I am going to send the converter back to Len to have him tighten it up. The car feels like a different aanimal now. 1st gear is useless now on the street. I fry the tires up the whole way now.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thats outstanding. When are you going to take it to the track?

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
TC

After a long day at JDM, I left very satisfied. My car had the 60psi injectors installed, a BA 2400, and 10% OD pulley. Car made 470 whp and 408 torque when it went in. It left with 490whp and 466 torque. The problem is the converter that Len at Lentech sent me has a 4700 - 5000stall on it. When I bought the set up he told me the stall will be at 2600 - 2800. That in my opinion is a BIG difference. I got to talk to Len today, cause there is quite a big difference. So all in all 490 on a street tune Automatic isnt that bad.
Cant wait to take it to the track and put down the real numbers.

Len told me my TC stall is 4000 rpm,i asked him the other day at what rpm i should trans break at,he said 3500! Now i am concerned after reading this post,i never got a chance to get to the track to test it out.Did JDM get your cruise control working in OD??What make of Dyno does JDM use??

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Len told me my TC stall is 4000 rpm,i asked him the other day at what rpm i should trans break at,he said 3500! Now i am concerned after reading this post,i never got a chance to get to the track to test it out.Did JDM get your cruise control working in OD??What make of Dyno does JDM use??

I never even asked him about the cruise control. I never use it anyway. They use a dyno jet.

Len told me when I ordered the setup that the TC stall will be at 2600 - 2800.

rog06gt

Mash it!!!
Reaction score
Jim D'amore fixed the problem with 1st gear having little to no boost.
Hi Paul, did Jim gave you an explanation on why your boost was behaving like that before the tune?

I am going to send the converter back to Len to have him tighten it up.
Good, I'm sure you will see even more power with a tighter TC, the power will go up and the torque will go down...just a guess...we'll see...
Did Jim mentioned a retune with the new converter stall?

The car feels like a different animal now. 1st gear is useless now on the street. I fry the tires up the whole way now.
No wonder with a stall like that LOL! just hold on with that new converter I would not be surprised that you go high 10's, good luck!
Cheers

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Here is the copy of the dyno sheet

DSC00097-1.jpg

JimIII@JDM

Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Are those STD or SAE numbers?

STD...

Man you can really see in the graph how the converter is hurting the power band too, its passing right through the insane twin screw blower torque curve and leaving you with just about only 500 RPMs of peak torque!! Where did the table top go! The power numbers are great for that trans/converter setup. With a tighter converter i think you might have yourself a 10 sec street car there paul!

Rob06GT

The load values were off which caused the car to have a number of problems. Boost readings being one but also the air fuel was very lean compared to how it ran with our tune for the 5 speed manual. I definatley do recommend a tune when doing this conversion.

JimIII

JimIII

rog06gt

Mash it!!!
Reaction score
STD...

Man you can really see in the graph how the converter is hurting the power band too, its passing right through the insane twin screw blower torque curve and leaving you with just about only 500 RPMs of peak torque!! Where did the table top go! The power numbers are great for that trans/converter setup. With a tighter converter i think you might have yourself a 10 sec street car there paul!

Rob06GT

The load values were off which caused the car to have a number of problems. Boost readings being one but also the air fuel was very lean compared to how it ran with our tune for the 5 speed manual. I definatley do recommend a tune when doing this conversion.

JimIII
Thanks JimIII for the reply, +1, figured out that there was no load present until the converter started to stall...
I'm pretty sure that when he changes the TC to a lower stall the billiard table torque curve will be back and power will go up...there is a Mach 1 with a twin screw that went 10.50 on the stock Mach 1 converter, that was on drag radial and on foot brake...gotta use that torque...
Cheers

silverpoison

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
what input shaft comes in this transmission? Is this the same trans they use on the Terminators?

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Is it a full manual VB 4r70 with no lockup and no kickdown? I ask because the manual will always stall much higher than it is set for. However, even it is, you are seeing way too high IMO. My TC is set for 2800 and it hits at about 3800...

So I have a hard time believing it is actually set for 2600-2800. From wht you are getting - if it is manual with no kickdown and no lock-up - I would think it is set more in the 3800-4000 range.

If it a lock-up, then it is WAY OFF...:shock:

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Is it a full manual VB 4r70 with no lockup and no kickdown? I ask because the manual will always stall much higher than it is set for. However, even it is, you are seeing way too high IMO. My TC is set for 2800 and it hits at about 3800...

So I have a hard time believing it is actually set for 2600-2800. From wht you are getting - if it is manual with no kickdown and no lock-up - I would think it is set more in the 3800-4000 range.

It's a full Manual Valve Body with a non lock up converter. The way Len explained it to me is that the car should leave like a bat out of hell and it will never fall below 4500rpms going down the track which will Net a very good ET. When our local track opens in a month I will make a few passes with the new set up since it is tuned now. I get full boost now in 1st and 2nd gear. No bogging, so we will see. Then I will run it by JDM after I go to the track and see if I will benefit from a tighter converter. Len told me I should launch about 1000 rpms less than the the stall on the Trans brake, about 3500. Ill start at 3000 and go up. I am on Drag Radials, 325-50-15 MT, so I dont want to be too hard on the drivetrain.

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Trans swap

Len told me my stall is 4000,with my non lock up converter & manual valve body,i have yet to test it out,can't wait.He also told me to launch at 3500 on the trans break! Any opinions or thoughts???? This car scares me now,i was pulling 11.68 @ 120 MPH granny shifting,what should i expect now with my setup????
Thanks,
Randy

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back