EcoBoost Four More Likely For 2014 Mustang

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
There's no question a properly built IRS can handle the power. But I think the SRA has proven to be very effective and competitive compared with the IRS in the other modern Muscle that's out there. I personally am tired of hearing the media complain about it. In the real world with actual car owners and people who race them, the SRA never seems to be a problem or a complaint.

06whipple

A direct injected 5.0 making over400hp, 500lbs lighter and getting at least 30mpg highway would be awesome too.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
In the real world with actual car owners and people who race them, the SRA never seems to be a problem or a complaint.

Agree 100%. The IRS is expensive to make. The SRA is simple, stout and proven. To me the IRS is a reason to look elsewhere.

Mach1Marauder

LARGE MEMBER
Reaction score
Agree 100%. The IRS is expensive to make. The SRA is simple, stout and proven. To me the IRS is a reason to look elsewhere.
For a drag car, I would agree. For an overall street car or for you roll-racing guys, you can't beat a properly set up IRS.

FYI guys.............there are quite a few 900-1200 HP street cars with the IRS that will hand you your butt! The IRS works much better on the street than the solid. It's MUCH more expensive than the solid with the same holding capacity though.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
you can't beat a properly set up IRS.

Except with a properly built solid... I'd put my bet on a torque arm/panhard SRA setup against any Ford OEM based IRS any day.

The only time the IRS seems to have an advantage is on a bumpy road... That's about it. For heavy accelerating, and heavy braking I would take a torque arm'd solid over any IRS. Especially coming into a turn under heavy braking, and powering out of turn the turns.

Last edited:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ford pretty decidedly showed the SRA is not only competitive but superior on the racetrack.

Joser281

Reaction score
I think best thing (and possibly cheapest) option is to leave the SRA and add a watts link from the factory.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
If they lighten the chassis a little bit a Turbo 2.3L could be very fun, especially when modified.
Shouldnt be too hard to make as much power as the Coyote given that the internals could take it, which the almost certainly would as OEM turbo cars are usually overbuilt.

As for the IRS vs SRA debate. Look at what happened when Trans-am allowed the introduction of IRS, the cars did not get any fatser.
Yes, and IRS has some benefit on uneven surfaces, but unless youre rally racing, the SRA is usually just as good if not better because its lighter.

Last edited:

r.barn

forum member
Reaction score
Pinto
Gremlin
Pacer
Mustang II
Smart Car

and the all new

Mustang III

2014-Ford-Start-Concept-Front-Side-View-575x383.jpg

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Pinto
Gremlin
Pacer
Mustang II
Smart Car

and the all new

Mustang III

2014-Ford-Start-Concept-Front-Side-View-575x383.jpg

Sadly enough if you think about the past Mustangs this could be a contender. Think of this, Mustang comes out in 1964 as a small 4 seater, the next few years the car builds in size until 1973 when it was a boat. 1974 it was 2/3 the size of the original with no power due to the government regulations and gas prices. Over the next 10 years the car worked its way back to a full sized car with increasing power. In 1986 Mustang was king with the GT beating the Corvette in power and performance. The car slowly began to get larger and larger with more and more power... 30 years after the Mustang II we are at odds with the government over regulations and gas is once again very expensive. Although I don't want to Jinx it, 2014 would unfortunately be the perfect year to kick us in the ass again and go to a small platform with big losses in power. It could be Ford's anniversary present to us...

r.barn

forum member
Reaction score
Lol, that is the 2014 Focus, but do not be surprised if the Mustang III looks like it's slighter bigger brother.

Ford keeps saying its going to be smaller, lighter and have a more "euro world wide" styling. Everything is about global cross platform marketing these days.

Yuck.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
30 years after the Mustang II we are at odds with the government over regulations and gas is once again very expensive. Although I don't want to Jinx it, 2014 would unfortunately be the perfect year to kick us in the ass again and go to a small platform with big losses in power. It could be Ford's anniversary present to us...

That's not going to happen. The difference this time is the insurance companies aren't involved like they were, and the technology is WAY more advanced now with V8's getting killer mileage. We have options and we're ahead of the curve.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
There's no question a properly built IRS can handle the power. But I think the SRA has proven to be very effective and competitive compared with the IRS in the other modern Muscle that's out there. I personally am tired of hearing the media complain about it. In the real world with actual car owners and people who race them, the SRA never seems to be a problem or a complaint.

With the introduction of the Boss 302, I would think the SRA haters would at least shut up for a little while about it. Hell, even the 2011 Mustang GT takes the SRA to a whole new level. With minimal mods, the GT's can be just as capable as a BOSS on racetracks where handling is paramount.

Unfortunately, there's a reason Ford and the mainstream automotive media are always comparing the Mustang GT 5.0L to the BMW's out there. They plan to make the GT a global car to compete with with not only BMW, but every single car manufacturer out there. Ford can no longer afford to cater to just the American ideologies of what a car should be.

In India, there are Ford dealerships that have a resident religious figure on hand to "bless" new cars just before the new owner drives it out of the dealership.

In China, Ford has a regional company shirt who is paid a hell of a lot of money to determine the size, shape and names for cars to meet the expectations of that market. Just as they have in India.

The world has become a VERY small place when it comes to business. Ford is in a position to either expand and make cars that appeal to a global market or, become a niche vehicle maker limited to the U.S. only. With the market being what it is here in the U.S., where any car manufacturer can enter the fray as long as they have the financial resources to do so, Ford is being challenged to adapt or die. Too many manufacturers like Hyundai, Honda, Nissan, Kia and so on are bringing cars to America that Americans are interested in buying and driving. These vehicles have a progressively more European look and design.

And with the traitor Obama pushing his liberal agenda down our throats, the future CAFE regs are eventually going to kill V8's for all but the most wealthy of people. It's just something we will have to get used too.

Ford keeps saying its going to be smaller, lighter and have a more "euro world wide" styling. Everything is about global cross platform marketing these days.
Yuck.

fhlh

Grabber? Don't Know Her!
Reaction score
A direct injected 5.0 making over400hp, 500lbs lighter and getting at least 30mpg highway would be awesome too.

Direct Injection is what I'm waiting on... if the 5.0 goes this route, we can see more HP and MORE MPG easy.

500lbs lighter is going to be a stretch if the 2014 is still on the s197 platform.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
the future CAFE regs are eventually going to kill V8's for all but the most wealthy of people. It's just something we will have to get used too.

I respectfully disagree here.

With ever improving advances in technology, current and future V8's will continually meet or exceed those CAFE requirements. Customer demands are what drive the market, and customers want V8's as an option in the middle lineup. Ford will find a way to maintain that availability and balance between customer demands and CAFE requirements.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree here.

With ever improving advances in technology, current and future V8's will continually meet or exceed those CAFE requirements. Customer demands are what drive the market, and customers want V8's as an option in the middle lineup. Ford will find a way to maintain that availability and balance between customer demands and CAFE requirements.

I sure do hope so brother. That is certainly a path Ford could take without impacting their global sales. I just wonder if Ford is going to see it that way.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Direct Injection is what I'm waiting on... if the 5.0 goes this route, we can see more HP and MORE MPG easy.

500lbs lighter is going to be a stretch if the 2014 is still on the s197 platform.

I think they already announced they were moving away from the retro aspect and would not be S197 based. Whole new chasis, whole new car. It's gonna hafta stay fairly stout to handle the Coyote and blown GT500 power.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back