Engine running cold, chugging fuel

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
I've had a whipple installed on my car since 2009 and I happen to live in a cold climate where spring and fall temps are usually around freezing in the mornings.

The whipple kit came with, I believe, a 165F themostat to replace the 185F stocker.

The issue I have is the engine never reaches full operating temp and I get really poor fuel mileage. So far this year I'm getting 11 mpg just nursing the car around the city at 30 mph, no boost at all. Often when I start driving after waiting for a light, the engine temp goes down after reaching normal running temp.

I see two options, going back to the higher themostat or placing a piece of cardboard in front of the rad during colder times of the year which I can remove when summer comes around. Thoughts?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I'd just live with it until it warms up. IIRC the whipple has the IAT before the supercharger, you could warm up the engine, but then what happens when it's 35C?

avinaj80

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm having a similar issue with just running cams. It's running super rich and I dunno why... For you though, I know the lower temps are critical due to you running boost. Maybe try and tweaking the low speed and high speed fan temps to come on at a hotter temp, see if that will help. I don't know if it's too good an idea to restrict the air flow into the radiator. Maybe fouled plugs? Hopefully the blower guys can chime in with their input for you.

Kylar

forum member
Reaction score
Seems like pretty low mileage, even for the temps. However these cars arent known for great mileage around town. Was the car pro-tuned or is it just a box tune for your Whipple?

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
The tune is custom and the IAT has been relocated to after the compressor.

The overcooling has been present since the very start but is most noticeable in the spring and fall. Even in the the summer, once on the highway, the temp guage starts dropping.

JimIII@JDM

Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Put the stock t stat back in, the computer will send more fuel when the engine stays cold like that. This is why we never sell colder thermostats, these aren't old school chevy small block engines we are working with here. These motors perform better with some heat in them.

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Put the stock t stat back in, the computer will send more fuel when the engine stays cold like that. This is why we never sell colder thermostats, these aren't old school chevy small block engines we are working with here. These motors perform better with some heat in them.

I agree. I run E85 and a stock thermostat. Even though KB recommends I have a 170 degree T-stat it's just too cold IMO. Everything can be handled more precisely by the fans which can be adjusted in the tune. Lund adjusted mine accordingly and my IATs stay low and my engine temp averages 185 to a max of around 192 after a hard pull. I agree with Jim, put the stock t-stat back in and play with your low and high speed fan temp settings to find your sweet spot.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Could be the winter blended fuels combined with the lower operating temperature.
Is there any no ethanol premium available to try? Out west here we have shell 91 and Chevron 94 and in my SVT focus get an extra 30km per tank out of the shell (no ethanol) versus esso's 91.
Other than that, I'd try changing the fan settings, if that didn't work I'd just live with it.

awesome autocorrect malfunctions brought to you by tapatalk

Kalatrax

forum member
Reaction score
No need for a 165. I run a 180 and it takes a bit longer to warm up but it will warm up. Try that or a stock temp. Running an engine that cold with boost isn't good.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Could just be that your T-Stat is stuck open. Even brand new ones sometimes do not work. You could always pull it out and test it on the stove.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back