Front sway bar removal - why?

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the update . How did it feel driving to and from the track ?

There was just a little "wobble" if I turned the steering wheel abruptly, but I was surprised that it actually handled fine. Not as buttoned down as with the sway bar, but I can understand why many people never put them back in once they remove them.

It's very easy to install/remove the front sway bar, so I reinstalled mine tonight since our local tracks are now closed until next spring. I'll remove it again once the tracks reopen then.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
^ umm ok.

Ah, come on, it was funny. I suppose you meant to ask specifications/diameter of the GT500 sway bar, huh? I bet it's a lot thicker and much heavier than the one GT's use to better control the heavier nose of the GT500. All the more reason to remove it for drag racing to transfer weight to eliminate/minimize the wheel hop and traction issues that plague GT500's at the dragstrip.

doodad

Let's race!
Reaction score
How about ET? Does removing sway bar effect the ET and MPH in a negative way since the car squats down a bit more than stock under acceleration and that would effect the aerodynamics?

LoL I know I am thinking too much into it but hey, if you wanna run good times, you have to consider everything. (Even taking a dump right before the race for weight saving purposes) :D

BLKS197

Formerly TAJoerg
Reaction score
How about ET? Does removing sway bar effect the ET and MPH in a negative way since the car squats down a bit more than stock under acceleration and that would effect the aerodynamics?

LoL I know I am thinking too much into it but hey, if you wanna run good times, you have to consider everything. (Even taking a dump right before the race for weight saving purposes) :D

You are looking a little too into it lol. Honestly, what you gain from removing it in both weight transfer and removing unnecessary static weight, will outweight any losses. Not to mention when I think aerodynamics, I don't think S197.

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
After removing the front sway bar, I noticed NO difference in my MPH. But I have gotten better on my ETs.

Every little bit counts.

Big50

forum member
Reaction score
Last time at the track I decided to unhook the end links. Boy launches are night and day. I was pulling 1.70x's with nitto dr's with 4.10's and 500 whp. I think i could have got into the 1.6x's if i would have launched hard but i was trying not to blow out the tires and was trying to find the right rpm launch. Right off the bat I could feel the front end lift higher, it was a weird feeling because it would slowly lower back down to. I wish i would have done it earlier when i was running my mickey dr's. Instead of low 1.6x's I think i could have got into the 1.5x's. I highly recommend doing this for anyone who goes to the track.

Simon

forum member
Reaction score
Last time at the track I decided to unhook the end links. Boy launches are night and day. I was pulling 1.70x's with nitto dr's with 4.10's and 500 whp. I think i could have got into the 1.6x's if i would have launched hard but i was trying not to blow out the tires and was trying to find the right rpm launch. Right off the bat I could feel the front end lift higher, it was a weird feeling because it would slowly lower back down to. I wish i would have done it earlier when i was running my mickey dr's. Instead of low 1.6x's I think i could have got into the 1.5x's. I highly recommend doing this for anyone who goes to the track.

I have pulled 1.59 60' with the bar hooked up and 1.60 with it unhooked. I am going to try the unhooked bar on a good track witht he 2 step and see what happens.

My problem with unhooking the sway bar is I run the bias ply in the back and radial in the fornt. It ameks it challenging driving the thing down the track.

I'm hoping to get big and littles for this year.

Noclutch

forum member
Reaction score
next season it comes out, ran full weight this year on stock tires and don't believe it would have helped much taking it out, when I read this thread earlier this year I amost pulled it. Have anyone see any write ups where someone pulled it at the track?

doodad

Let's race!
Reaction score
You are looking a little too into it lol. Honestly, what you gain from removing it in both weight transfer and removing unnecessary static weight, will outweight any losses. Not to mention when I think aerodynamics, I don't think S197.

Hahaha, that is so true :)

router

Pro Dyno Racing
Reaction score
I agree with all the above, The removal does seem to help with weight transfer. The removal also helps with the weight removal. Plus, witht the transfer and weight removal will help with brining the front tires off the ground, but you need all the goodies in the back first. If you are not drag racing it, I would not remove it.

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
Anyone do this on a 2011 yet? Tonight is the last night of racing for the year here and looking for every little bit

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I didn't notice a change in everday driving when I took mine off, but more squat at the track, love it.

router

Pro Dyno Racing
Reaction score
It can only help, the only place I noticed is curves around town (if too fast) LOL.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Also I found the front handles the bumps better since the left and right are free to move independently now.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
DO IT! I took mine off this morning and life couldn't be better. Had an annoying clunk from the endlinks that wouldn't go away, so I took all of it out and the suspension is as quiet as a mouse. The average driver would not know if the bar was gone unless someone told them in terms of daily street driving. Don't know why I waited so long to do this.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back