Gasoline vs E85 in the 2011 5.0

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
Since when is 11:1 compression considered "mild"? Most production engines have compression ratios below 10.

Maybe 15 years ago

With modern combustion chamber designs that maximize quench and injectors that atomize well, etc. 12+:1 CR is easily obtained on pump gas.
Just look at these cars running on 87 octane.

Put some 12.5:1 pistons in these engines and Id think youd have a real case for E85 actually showing worthwile gains

Last edited:

DON SVO

Reaction score
I know one of our local shops did an E85 conversion tune and gained 30 to the tire, all mods the same, just a lot more ignition timing and toying with the VVT.

05yellowgt

Reaction score
This. been there, done that, more timing made nothing, so no need for anything but quality pump gas.
Was only timing changed? What about the VVT? The VVT is the secret to making supercharged coyote's live on pump gas and getting more power n/a when the proper octane is available. Pump up the DCR and then you should be able to crank out a decent amount of extra power with E85.

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
Was only timing changed? What about the VVT? The VVT is the secret to making supercharged coyote's live on pump gas and getting more power n/a when the proper octane is available. Pump up the DCR and then you should be able to crank out a decent amount of extra power with E85.

Yes, I made many pulls experimenting with the cam timing too. If there was more power to be had I'd run better fuel at the track if needed to take advantage of the extra power, but it just isn't so. The car has run 11.30s and doesn't have headers or any other engine mods, so it is doing just fine in the power department.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
So back the or4iginal questions in my 1st post.. What are the long term effects (if any) of running E85 as far as fuel lines, fuel pump, any o-rings or gaskets?

Blownblu03

forum member
Reaction score
I spoke to Evo performance and I was told these cars are not even compatable with E85. I thought they were so why was I told that from such a big and known tuner?

RSKtakR

Reaction score
I spoke to Evo performance and I was told these cars are not even compatable with E85. I thought they were so why was I told that from such a big and known tuner?

they are the ONLY place I have talked to that said it was a bad idea.. JJ at JPC said it would be fine, a couple other shops have to and are currently running it w/ no issues.. I have seen these cars running on E85 just fine.. but no one can seem to tell me the long term effects IF any it would have w/ this fuel system. Thats why I was curious about the EXACT difference's in the fuel lines from injector to fuel pump between the 5.0 fuel system vs another ford flex fuel vehical.

Last edited:

Bizzyb0nes

forum member
Reaction score
i just got a new 5.0 truck, from what im told, the tune and manifolds are different, and its a half point lower on compression, other then that its the same heads/intake/cam/block ect. I must say...it skoots for a truck

RSKtakR

Reaction score
i just got a new 5.0 truck, from what im told, the tune and manifolds are different, and its a half point lower on compression, other then that its the same heads/intake/cam/block ect. I must say...it skoots for a truck

take your fuel system apart and let me know if the fule lines and o-rings are the same as a 5.0 mustang..LOL

05yellowgt

Reaction score
I can't tell you the specifics about the 5.0 fuel system but I ran E85 on the stock fuel system on my 05 plus a set of 39lb injectors for 2 years with zero ill effects. Been running E85 on my car still but I've replaced everything except for the tank.

There is clearly enough fuel pump capacity on the 2011 to support E85 on an n/a tune seeing that I've seen 600rwhp supported with the stock pump with FI.

From a compatibility standpoint, I don't think the programming is there to make a 2011 a Flex Fuel vehicle; being able to drive up to the pump and go from an empty tank of gasoline and filling up with E85 without whipping out your programmer to switch tunes.

There is nothing in a modern fuel system that won't be able to handle higher concentrations of ethanol with a possible exception of the fuel filter. I have seen some switch and had the filter start to come apart because the increased ethanol content wasn't compatible with the glue used to hold the filter media together. I wen't with a Stainless Steel fuel filter on my upgraded fuel system to be safe.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
I can't tell you the specifics about the 5.0 fuel system but I ran E85 on the stock fuel system on my 05 plus a set of 39lb injectors for 2 years with zero ill effects. Been running E85 on my car still but I've replaced everything except for the tank.
what kind of fuel lines/o-rings did you replace your stockers w/? And what about the fuel pump?

There is clearly enough fuel pump capacity on the 2011 to support E85 on an n/a tune seeing that I've seen 600rwhp supported with the stock pump with FI.

From a compatibility standpoint, I don't think the programming is there to make a 2011 a Flex Fuel vehicle; being able to drive up to the pump and go from an empty tank of gasoline and filling up with E85 without whipping out your programmer to switch tunes.

There is nothing in a modern fuel system that won't be able to handle higher concentrations of ethanol with a possible exception of the fuel filter. I have seen some switch and had the filter start to come apart because the increased ethanol content wasn't compatible with the glue used to hold the filter media together. I wen't with a Stainless Steel fuel filter on my upgraded fuel system to be safe.[/QUOTE]

which fuel filter did you use?
thanks for the info!

05yellowgt

Reaction score
I am using Fragola Fuel lines and fittings. The o-rings on the fuel injectors are stock. I am using an Aeromotive SS filter. I forget the exact part number.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
I am using Fragola Fuel lines and fittings. The o-rings on the fuel injectors are stock. I am using an Aeromotive SS filter. I forget the exact part number.

thanks I will look inot the fuel lines and filter. :beerchug2:
I also read about hardened valve seats in flex fuel vehicals.. how much truth is there to that and wtf would be the purpose? Is that because of the stronger explosion of the E85 or something?

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
they are the ONLY place I have talked to that said it was a bad idea.. JJ at JPC said it would be fine, a couple other shops have to and are currently running it w/ no issues.. I have seen these cars running on E85 just fine.. but no one can seem to tell me the long term effects IF any it would have w/ this fuel system. Thats why I was curious about the EXACT difference's in the fuel lines from injector to fuel pump between the 5.0 fuel system vs another ford flex fuel vehical.

Start comparing part numbers from non flex fuel to known flex fuel parts. In other words are the part numbers for the fuel pump hats, fuel pumps, injectors, FPR, o-rings, fuel lines, the same part numbers? That's where I would start. Make a list of all the fuel system parts for a NON flex fuel F150 and a flex fuel. Then start comparing the part numbers. Sounds tedious but at least you'll have concrete information as to EXACTLY what parts are different.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
Start comparing part numbers from non flex fuel to known flex fuel parts. In other words are the part numbers for the fuel pump hats, fuel pumps, injectors, FPR, o-rings, fuel lines, the same part numbers? That's where I would start. Make a list of all the fuel system parts for a NON flex fuel F150 and a flex fuel. Then start comparing the part numbers. Sounds tedious but at least you'll have concrete information as to EXACTLY what parts are different.

ya thats what I will end up doing I get a feeling..but I dont mind, that way I will know EXACTLY what differences are myself, and then I can also pass on the info here.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back