grease on outside hub assembly? I miss something??

leviathon

forum member
Reaction score
So i take my wheels off and on the front face of the hub there is silver grease all over it and lil bit off it as well. Now both bearings were recently replaced, is this normal?

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
So i take my wheels off and on the front face of the hub there is silver grease all over it and lil bit off it as well. Now both bearings were recently replaced, is this normal?
The only place that you should put the silver anti seize at all is on the threads of the studs. If you do you only need a small dab of it as when the lug nut truns on it spreads quickly.

leviathon

forum member
Reaction score
well one the dealer put one and the other I personally did. trust me when I say it was not like that, maybe there was a lil grease and from road grime got color so I could see it?

JesseW.

forum member
Reaction score
I've heard up north that the mechanics do that with hub centric wheels cause they will stick to the hubs and become hard to get off with road salt and stuff. BMW wheels are really hard to get off if you don't

ummduh

forum member
Reaction score
I've heard up north that the mechanics do that with hub centric wheels cause they will stick to the hubs and become hard to get off with road salt and stuff. BMW wheels are really hard to get off if you don't

That.

We used to have a 20lb rubber sledge hammer for getting aluminum rims off of cars. The rims would size to the hub. Everything gets antisiezed in the rust belt.

That was in Se WI btw.

The worst ones I remember are 2000+ super duty dually rears. Those could take an hour to get all 4 off.

slagburn

forum member
Reaction score
Has anybody in this thread actually replaced a wheel bearing on one of these cars, with a dealer part? They come out of the box with a plastic shield set down over the lugnuts and hub flange, protecting a whole bunch of anti-seize looking material applied as lots of small dots. Not sure what Ford's thinking there. All the goo sticks the back of the rotor to the hub.. almost as effectively as the tin rotor clips.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Has anybody in this thread actually replaced a wheel bearing on one of these cars, with a dealer part? They come out of the box with a plastic shield set down over the lugnuts and hub flange, protecting a whole bunch of anti-seize looking material applied as lots of small dots. Not sure what Ford's thinking there. All the goo sticks the back of the rotor to the hub.. almost as effectively as the tin rotor clips.

The tin Rotor clips are actually installed so when the car is moving down the assembly line and the rotors are hanging they don't fall off. Actually a very good idea!

hawkeye18

omgwtfbbq
Reaction score
The tin Rotor clips are actually installed so when the car is moving down the assembly line and the rotors are hanging they don't fall off. Actually a very good idea!

Until you replace the wheels with aftermarket wheels that don't have the corresponding recess for them, and don't think to take them off, and then you have unbalanced wheels and you cannot for the life of you figure out why.

But other than that, good idea.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Until you replace the wheels with aftermarket wheels that don't have the corresponding recess for them, and don't think to take them off, and then you have unbalanced wheels and you cannot for the life of you figure out why.

But other than that, good idea.

True. However they are very easy to remove so not a major deal. Unless of course you forget to remove them before installing the wheels!

leviathon

forum member
Reaction score
yup! i replaced it with a Timken (ford) bearing it had that plastic thing on it, didnt seem to be that much grease at the time....

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back