Greg Weld skinny fronts/spacers out of business or bought out by some other company??

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mods-please do not move this to the wheels/tires area as that section doesn't get looked at a lot.

Has Greg Weld/the business gone out of business or bought out by some other company? I ask because I bought a brand new set of Weld's for the front to be used on track days and they do not clear my calipers; made a post about it and was linked to other people having the same issue and read that there were some "defective" Weld's made that did not clear the calipers....but if Weld went out of business did some company "assume" his products that I could call and talk to them about my issue?

What is the thickest spacer I can use and still have enough threads on the stock studs? I tried a 5/16 spacer from Auto Zone and it was not enough.

Thanks!

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
modified the title a bit, wont be moved dont worry

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Greg Weld Motorsports closed when Greg Weld died a couple years ago. The guys at Racestar bought the molds and rights to the star shaped wheel and changed it to fit the newer cars and relaunched it as the Racestar.

You could call them but they really are under no obligation to correct any issue. In this situation, you bought wheels "new" but the mfg is no longer and as a result no warranty or anything exists.

Longer wheel studs and a big enough spacer is probably your only possible option. Did you test fit your wheels before mounting them? Most people don't. But really should unless fitment is known to work. Good luck.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was afraid of that..when I googled Greg Weld I saw that he died and assumed the name/business went with him.

I did not test fit them as I was assured they were S197 specific...sigh...and then when I did put them on the stick on weights were rubbing so I had them removed and the pound on weights were installed but that did not fix it.

Any recommendations for the spacer?

Anyone know of anyone that works at Racestar?

Nickoli

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had a set of the old Greg Welds also and I was the frist person to call and send them pictures showing them they didn't fit. Your best bet would be to sell them to some one with a sn95 or a 5 lug fox and buy a set of Race Stars. good luck man

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mods-please do not move this to the wheels/tires area as that section doesn't get looked at a lot.

1,604 different threads = "doesn't get looked at a lot"?? :wtf1:

Entrenched

forum member
Reaction score
I fit my greg weld with a 3/4" hubcentric spacer. It clears the brembos on my car. The spacer I ordered came with 1/2" studs.

DSCN5514.jpg

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had a set of the old Greg Welds also and I was the frist person to call and send them pictures showing them they didn't fit. Your best bet would be to sell them to some one with a sn95 or a 5 lug fox and buy a set of Race Stars. good luck man

Was that Racestar or Greg Weld you called and did they do anything for you?

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I fit my greg weld with a 3/4" hubcentric spacer. It clears the brembos on my car. The spacer I ordered came with 1/2" studs.

DSCN5514.jpg

Ugh...don't want to swap out studs....sigh.

Wonder how wide the Brembo's are compared to the stock GT calipers...

ROUSH1711

UNDER CONSTRUCTION
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Studs look too short in that pic...IMO

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok...so I only use this when I use the Weld wheels, right?

Price or link?

Not sure how this bolts to the exisiting studs..?

Does it come with new lugs? My Welds came with the offset washers/long closed end lug nuts.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I put a link above. The spacers come with special lugs to sit flush with the spacer and then you use your lugs on the new studs. I used these kind of spacers on my 01 gt when i put on coil overs in the front.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
YIKES!

Maybe I will look for a thicker spacer and break out the grinder for those prices!

If I can't find thicker spacers at Pep Boys where would I find them online?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I ran non hubcentric spacers orignaly and they introduce alot of stress on the studs and i broke 2 wheel studs while driving. But since this would be track only the regular spacers may be ok.

Im not sure they make regular spacers much bigger than that maybe in a 1/2 inch tops, as it gets to a point where the studs arent long enough.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back