Help! 2007 GT 5r55s slow to go into reverse...

Scrape

forum member
Reaction score
And then it goes hard into gear with a firm clunk. It's a daily driver with about 115,000 km (approx 60,000 mile) with original fluid still. I know it is due for a fluid change which will be done ASAP. It's never raced or driven hard. There are times where I drive and it holds the gear longer than normal and then it is a firm shift again. Could it be that dreadful servo bore problem or the bands problem? If it is that is it expensive?
Any advice would be helpful.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Uh, no it's not 'due' for a fluid change....it's about 3 years OVERDUE.

A fluid/filter service might salvage it for a while longer. But, you're on old dirty fluid, and probably low. Get is changed soon. Or start looking at a rebuild or replacement.

Scrape

forum member
Reaction score
Update: appointment is booked for Monday at the dealer to get the fluid changed. $229 plus tax. Is that decent?

bullitt boy

Reaction score
I hope you get away that cheap. I have a feeling you are going to have to dig a little deeper that that. Keep us posted please. Good luck.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
Sounds like it could be a bad shift solenoid. The 555r's are notorious for the solenoids going bad. Your fluid is due to be changed but I doubt that is what is causing your problem.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the solenoid block, my 5r55w in my explorer had the same symptoms, kinda suspicious that the dealer always seems to have them in stock.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

AlloyGT

Lurker
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mine was behaving similarly, with 76,000 miles on it. Well, kind of similarly. Slow to go into reverse, would only go into gear if revved up, and then it clunked. But driving, it shifted normally. But it had only done it three times. I had changed the fluid twice. One day it just wouldn't go into gear at all. Ford ended up replacing the transmission pump.

Last edited:

Scrape

forum member
Reaction score
UPDATE: All went well with the flush of the tranny and rear diff. The mechanic said that my tranny shifts really well even though it was low on fluids. He said that all it needs is a fluid/filter change and she would be good to go. He also said that if the solenoid was going it would have thrown codes so all is good so far while driving and going into reverse is silky smooth. So far after 4 days of driving all the issues are gone. Thanks for all your help.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back