Help this old fart...

Marty333

Reaction score
Amazing, your engineering/fabrication skills go way beyond what most people can do. Nice work.
Thanks for the comment, but if I can do it anyone can...I'm not that good. I think the only reason I am able to do it is because I have patience...not talent, because I screw-up a lot and seems like I have to "do it over again" more than most...plus it's kind of cool getting new tools and learning new tricks from the real pro's hehe. man, I've been hearing the fish calling out to me saying "catch me if you can"...so maybe it's time I went back to the Santiam River in Oregon and catch me some steelhead!

Marty333

Reaction score
Lol Thank you <3 Things pretty stock though, paint and body aint the best, but I love her imperfections :p
Looks real nice to me :). I can only hope the Mustang I'm building is as nice. I've never had a Mustang (always been a chevy guy) but have always really liked the Mustangs, for some reason especially their interiors/dash and think Ford hit the nail on the head with their Mustangs. I'm getting old and wanted to have one before I go...I'm thinking of either a real dark blue or black paint color...haven't decided...or even maybe the Yukon dark dark green (almost black) and want to paint it using a 2 stage base-coat/clear coat. what I really like is the candy "black cherry" but I'd probably screw that up. We'll see. It's getting close to it being painted...then the interior work!

Deathstang II

Reaction score
Looks real nice to me :). I can only hope the Mustang I'm building is as nice. I've never had a Mustang (always been a chevy guy) but have always really liked the Mustangs, for some reason especially their interiors/dash and think Ford hit the nail on the head with their Mustangs. I'm getting old and wanted to have one before I go...I'm thinking of either a real dark blue or black paint color...haven't decided...or even maybe the Yukon dark dark green (almost black) and want to paint it using a 2 stage base-coat/clear coat. what I really like is the candy "black cherry" but I'd probably screw that up. We'll see. It's getting close to it being painted...then the interior work!

Indeed, the 05-09 S197's was the dream car I wanted and it had to be black on black, murdered. Call me original I guess, but I've done a lot of custom work cosmetically to the car to make it my own (skeleton badges, red interior lighting conversion, LED conversions). I even downgraded the interior and got rid of the aluminum dash covers for the basic black.

As for you I'd go blue black on the paint, it's what I'll be doing to mine if I ever get the money to redo the body and paint. Almost like a midnight black, blueish flaked in the sun, pitch black at night. That or a Black red metallic flake. That would be so bitchen! Mix it with a dark black/red interior scheme. The candy black cherry idea sounds also yummy. I'm not good with paint, but my body work is well....exceptional I guess when I use to do it all the time on my '98.

Marty333

Reaction score
Indeed, the 05-09 S197's was the dream car I wanted and it had to be black on black, murdered. Call me original I guess, but I've done a lot of custom work cosmetically to the car to make it my own (skeleton badges, red interior lighting conversion, LED conversions). I even downgraded the interior and got rid of the aluminum dash covers for the basic black.

As for you I'd go blue black on the paint, it's what I'll be doing to mine if I ever get the money to redo the body and paint. Almost like a midnight black, blueish flaked in the sun, pitch black at night. That or a Black red metallic flake. That would be so bitchen! Mix it with a dark black/red interior scheme. The candy black cherry idea sounds also yummy. I'm not good with paint, but my body work is well....exceptional I guess when I use to do it all the time on my '98.

Funny because I was just telling a friend that I'm thinking of going with an almost black blue but I like your idea better of the blue black/blueish flaked to show in the sun and black at night...was also thinking of doing a flat or semi-flat black down the sides in the center panel and two wide stripes on the hood and over the top to contrast with the gloss black on the rest of the car and semi-flat black wheels but might go with gloss black wheels...I'll figure it out lol. the interior is the stock black but have to paint the rear side panels I got from a donor at pick-a-part, they are the light color now. The carpet is black and actually in great condition but I'm going to have to shampoo/pressure wash it before it goes back in. Sometimes I think I'm doing all this work just to sit in it/drive it because I really like the Mustang interior. I was hoping they made the big screen for the dash in the 05's but I guess they only make them for the newer Mustangs so will get a new double din dvd/stereo for it with Bluetooth, GPS etc.
I'm hopefully moving the Mustang over into the spray booth bay (a sectioned-off part of the shop with a fan to suck the fumes out and a door I made that is all filters to catch any dust on the other end) tomorrow to do the final primer and block sand before paint. It's down to 220 now after sanding the guide coat off but some areas have 150 grit..so I'll put the primer on heavy. I'll have a lot of dust to blow out after but it'l be ok and I'll wet the floor before painting of course. I hate dust!

Deathstang II

Reaction score
Funny because I was just telling a friend that I'm thinking of going with an almost black blue but I like your idea better of the blue black/blueish flaked to show in the sun and black at night...was also thinking of doing a flat or semi-flat black down the sides in the center panel and two wide stripes on the hood and over the top to contrast with the gloss black on the rest of the car and semi-flat black wheels but might go with gloss black wheels...I'll figure it out lol. the interior is the stock black but have to paint the rear side panels I got from a donor at pick-a-part, they are the light color now. The carpet is black and actually in great condition but I'm going to have to shampoo/pressure wash it before it goes back in. Sometimes I think I'm doing all this work just to sit in it/drive it because I really like the Mustang interior. I was hoping they made the big screen for the dash in the 05's but I guess they only make them for the newer Mustangs so will get a new double din dvd/stereo for it with Bluetooth, GPS etc.
I'm hopefully moving the Mustang over into the spray booth bay (a sectioned-off part of the shop with a fan to suck the fumes out and a door I made that is all filters to catch any dust on the other end) tomorrow to do the final primer and block sand before paint. It's down to 220 now after sanding the guide coat off but some areas have 150 grit..so I'll put the primer on heavy. I'll have a lot of dust to blow out after but it'l be ok and I'll wet the floor before painting of course. I hate dust!

I surely look forward to the final results. Personally I would not paint any of the interior and try to just find the proper color you're looking for as paint fades/cracks/chips over time, personal preference. As for Stereo, get one with Android/apple car play, won't regret it, use it all the time to get around Houston.

StevezStang

Reaction score
Thank you for your comments!
I haven't figured out how to respond to a particular member on here yet so I apologize for that.
Yes the rear end is shorter...IMO it's a little too short and I'm not entirely happy with it. It looks "bobbed" right? Some friends came over and said I could add a custom spoiler on the back and make custom brackets that attached to the tailgate/back and it would help and I'm thinking of making a template to see how it'd look.

Some of you are wondering why I took-on a huge project like this especially with just the V6 in it. It's a long story but in a nutshell I'm retired, kind-of a hermit, no wife/girlfriend and don't have a lot of cash. I've always worked with my hands (cabinet maker).

I bought the 05 Mustang and a bagged mini truck from a young guy a few blocks away for $1,300.00 (800 for the Mustang and 500 for the mini-truck). I drove the mustang home (it was hilarious seeing it go down the road in such a wrecked condition) and towed the engine-less mini-truck home. I was going to put the Mustang V6/tranny in the mini-truck and scrap the wrecked Mustang. At the time I was finishing up my 1 ton dually 4x4 truck project so the latter sat in the back for almost a year. I was done with projects and "needed" something to do in my shop so figured the Mustang already ran and drove, had a good interior and it wouldn't cost a lot of cash to "do what I wanted to it" lol. So far I only have about $2K invested (steel, tires, welding gas and some Pick-a-Part parts. But hey, I'll have the only newer Mustang Truck in the world right? hehe. I just like to learn more skills, keep busy and see what I can do. But to be honest I've been wanting to go camping and fishing!

I'll post some pics of the last street rod I built that took 4 years, and the 1 ton dually project, and the jeep project I did. peace

Rick Simons

Reaction score
That is so cool!! You've obviously done this kind of thing before....
Nice work!

Marty333

Reaction score
I surely look forward to the final results. Personally I would not paint any of the interior and try to just find the proper color you're looking for as paint fades/cracks/chips over time, personal preference. As for Stereo, get one with Android/apple car play, won't regret it, use it all the time to get around Houston.
Sounds good. I had to carefully cut the side panels to fit the new truck design and roll bar...was a job...lol. But yea I can probably find black ones at I-5 auto wrecking they have a couple mustangs. Thanks

That is so cool!! You've obviously done this kind of thing before....
Nice work!
I’ve done a lot but never took-on a sheet metal job like this.

For the deepest/darkest blue/black I've ever seen check out the black on the Honda Nighthawk 'S'. A few pics below. It's actually got purple mixed in and provides amazing depth and appears darker/deeper than any black I've ever run across.

Paintcode: NH1Z
Gloss black

Colorite: http://www.colorrite.com/product/honda-nh1z-gloss-black-1282.cfm

View attachment 78632 View attachment 78633
Thanks I’ll check it out

Last edited by a moderator:

Marty333

Reaction score
Going to hopefully take it to a muffler shop and have it done so it’s semi-quiet. My Streetrod is loud enough lol.

Marty333

Reaction score
Damn I love the front of that, it has a mean Jack Skellington/pumpkin lantern look about it lol, hella bitchen.

Stick with the stock hood on this, looks great.
Thanks Deathstang...I haven't decided yet to leave the front open as-is or insert some kind of mesh. I picked-up a pair of Fog Lights for the front but not sure where to put them yet...was thinking of inserting into the spoiler but not sure...decisions decisions.
Yes! leaving the hood flat is a good plan...I started laying out two wide/long louver panels going up each side of the hood (you can see the tape layout on earlier picture) and spent all day scribing to the contour of the hood and cutting and welding the frames with notches for the louvers but after realizing they would take me weeks to build I set them aside lol. still have them and might finish building them anyways but the latter "might" is only about a 10 out of a 100 hehe. I like the idea of the old school wide painted-on strips each side of the hood, going over the top to the rear too but that's only a 50/50 now. Or I could get an aftermarket hood with scoop(s) or some cool shape too.
started working on the interior yesterday, making the plywood base to cover the rear seat area that will be carpeted. Underneath there are deep holes so am making access panels to get to those hole spaces. They would be a good place to mount 2 large subs but then the subs would have to be laying flat and would probably get damaged once something landed on them or my dog went back there so will use the access spaces for storage and build a sub box maybe between the roll bars. In any case it's kinda fun to come up with designs/layouts for "stuff" lol.

Marty333

Reaction score
Thinking about adding a sheet metal valance across the bottom in the back for the new exhaust pipes to stick out through and adding custom mud flaps (hence "truck") lol. So it's a-ways-off from being painted. Plus for awhile now I keep picturing a custom lumber rack with a ladder tied to it...(or a surf board) with a skinny curved LED light bar across the front...but the design would have to be just right to compliment the body and it'd have to be removable/bolt-on. What do you all think?

Deathstang II

Reaction score
Thanks Deathstang...I haven't decided yet to leave the front open as-is or insert some kind of mesh. I picked-up a pair of Fog Lights for the front but not sure where to put them yet...was thinking of inserting into the spoiler but not sure...decisions decisions.
Yes! leaving the hood flat is a good plan...I started laying out two wide/long louver panels going up each side of the hood (you can see the tape layout on earlier picture) and spent all day scribing to the contour of the hood and cutting and welding the frames with notches for the louvers but after realizing they would take me weeks to build I set them aside lol. still have them and might finish building them anyways but the latter "might" is only about a 10 out of a 100 hehe. I like the idea of the old school wide painted-on strips each side of the hood, going over the top to the rear too but that's only a 50/50 now. Or I could get an aftermarket hood with scoop(s) or some cool shape too.
started working on the interior yesterday, making the plywood base to cover the rear seat area that will be carpeted. Underneath there are deep holes so am making access panels to get to those hole spaces. They would be a good place to mount 2 large subs but then the subs would have to be laying flat and would probably get damaged once something landed on them or my dog went back there so will use the access spaces for storage and build a sub box maybe between the roll bars. In any case it's kinda fun to come up with designs/layouts for "stuff" lol.

Indeed, you inspire to to do my mad max project with all that welding. Just no time space nor money at the moment.

Thinking about adding a sheet metal valance across the bottom in the back for the new exhaust pipes to stick out through and adding custom mud flaps (hence "truck") lol. So it's a-ways-off from being painted. Plus for awhile now I keep picturing a custom lumber rack with a ladder tied to it...(or a surf board) with a skinny curved LED light bar across the front...but the design would have to be just right to compliment the body and it'd have to be removable/bolt-on. What do you all think?

If you're going for that offroad look may as well go big or go home. Personally that rear has a cyber truck look from Tesla.

Marty333

Reaction score
Indeed, you inspire to to do my mad max project with all that welding. Just no time space nor money at the moment.

It will come if you think and work towards it. I don't like giving advice but will just say be patient. Lol I tell my younger friends to "Work hard towards something but have patience because without patience you'll get nowhere fast." Life on this planet is becoming harder and harder especially for the younger people. It is TOTALLY different than it used to be. I have to keep reminding myself to not watch the news and not become intrenched in worldly/social matters...It will bring me down and change my perspective and character in a heartbeat.

If you're going for that offroad look may as well go big or go home. Personally that rear has a cyber truck look from Tesla.

Your right!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back