Hood Pin Issues

bigbooster

2008 Mustang GT Owner
Reaction score
This morning I set in for what I thought would be a simple job. I was wrong.

With a cheap set of eBay hood pins (link below), I knew what to expect. 4 hours in Florida heat later and i have the pins in, the plate on, and all of the holes drilled and smoothed out. I assumed i was done until I tried to put one of the pins in and, due to the angle of the stock aluminum hood, would not go through the pin's hole. Upon loosening the pin, i found there is no middle ground between way to loose and having one end of the pin an inch off the hood and the other poking the other side of the plate. Any advice/tips/solutions would really make my day.:helpme:

Kit link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/252318223077?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

groundpounder

forum member
Reaction score
So it sounds like you drilled the hood hole perpendicular to the top of the hood. The hole should be drilled perpendicular to the top of the radiator support.

IIRC, the hood slopes in two directions at the point in which a hood pin protrudes from the radiator support. Did you drill from the bottom of the hood up?

I don't know if you'll have enough hood top to drill or enlarge your existing holes and still be able to cover the old holes with the top plate.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
I used the UPR pins that replace the top radiator mounts, good set i like them.

instructions were to install, lightly tap the hood onto the pins to locate them, drill up, tap again on the outer layer so your correct there, and once its located you can drill from the top if you like

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Looks like you can drill the holes in the top plates a little bigger so the pins fit through them at an angle.

bigbooster

2008 Mustang GT Owner
Reaction score

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
are they parallel with the front wheels, perpendicular, or at an angle?

my hood pins angle the inner side of them towards the front bumper, since the hood is mounded it makes it a even fitting like that

bigbooster

2008 Mustang GT Owner
Reaction score
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
are they parallel with the front wheels, perpendicular, or at an angle?

my hood pins angle the inner side of them towards the front bumper, since the hood is mounded it makes it a even fitting like that

As of now, the pins are supposed to be parallel to the grille, facing left to right and vice versa, but as I've tried, the pin won't fit that way. Facing forward doesn't work either because the hood is even more sloped that way. I'll probably be able to take pictures tomorrow morning when I take it in to ford for the takata recall.

bigbooster

2008 Mustang GT Owner
Reaction score
Turn the pin 45 degrees or until the holes are parallel with the slope of the hood.

I tried, but the hood is even more sloped pointing forward, and putting it in the other side leads to the same issue, just reversed. At an angle, it is a little smoother, but my ocd would leave me dead in a week if it was like that.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Either wallow the holes out so they go in at the required angle. Or turn them like I said at an angle pointing towards the front of the hood.

The pins are probably more one size fits all and meant more for a flat hood

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
I tried, but the hood is even more sloped pointing forward, and putting it in the other side leads to the same issue, just reversed. At an angle, it is a little smoother, but my ocd would leave me dead in a week if it was like that.

So you have your answer. You already tried "front to back" and "side to side" and they don't work.

You turn the post until the hole allows you to insert the pin where it makes even contact on both sides. It might be 45* or whatever, but that's what will have to happen.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
+1 on rotate the post with the hole so the two sides are parallel to the hood surface. Had to do that on my steeda hood, to adjust the posts and line up the holes so the pins go in at an angle.

this may help:
hoodpins-2.jpg

Back