Hot rod cam and cold air intake

Cailloux1999

Reaction score
I want to install hot rod cam and a cold air intake on my gt 2008. People tell me that my catalyst can get dirty and damage. I'm going to do a tunning for the cold air intake and my hot rod cam. Is it safe or I am also told to change my entire line of exhaust. I don't know what to do or think.... suggestions?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Cailloux1999

Reaction score
I want to install hot rod cam and a cold air intake on my gt 2008. People tell me that my catalyst can get dirty and damage. I'm going to do a tunning for the cold air intake and my hot rod cam. Is it safe or I am also told to change my entire line of exhaust. I don't know what to do or think.... suggestions?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

ShelbySteve

Reaction score
This is in the wrong subforum but here’s my take on it. I have an 07 with 22k miles and replaced my catalytic converters at 20k miles. Don’t know if it was due to sitting so much (my stepfather had the car originally and obviously didn’t drive it much) or the fact that it had long tubes, or hot Rod cams or whatever. I do get the code (p0133)occasionally that they’re not heating up fast enough.

BottleRocket

Reaction score
Hi. I bought my '08 last Spring. It already had the Hot Rod cams installed in addition to the Ford shorty headers and the Ford CAI. I removed the Ford shorties and replaced them with a set of BBK long tubes and their high flow cat mid-pipe. I had a code problem (don't remember which one) but took it into my local tuner who adjusted one of the parameters to account for the long tubes. It now runs great (over 3K, pulls like a freight train) but a little soft around town, as you would expect. I just picked up a set of very low mile 4.10s which should give me back some of my lost bottom end but I might lose another 1-2 MPG. My next step will be a Lito tune and I've already contacted him and know what I need to collect (SCT tuner, data logging software, etc). You'll love the idle racket as will those around you. I've had Charger owners tell me they wish their Hemis sounded this good. Look for a 2-3 MPG loss, this is my daily driver and was purchased to replace a bone stock '08 I lost to a deer last Spring. That car ran great, completely stock except for CAI. I can still pull down over 30 MPG if I'm hypermiling but 26-27 is more realistic. I'm pretty happy with the way it runs and the idle always brings complements.

20190225_064255.jpg

20190224_175912.jpg

Last edited:

Charly

Reaction score
I purchased an 07 GT with WMS CAI, Ford Comp cam, long tube headers and Flow master exhaust had a Lito tune and I have never thrown a code since the tune.strut tower bar.jpg

Str Front.JPG

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
*** I can still pull down over 30 MPG if I'm hypermiling but 26-27 is more realistic. I'm pretty happy with the way it runs and the idle always brings complements.
When you say hypermiling, you mean things like turning off the engine when going downhill? I'd kill for 26-27 mpg. [My only mods are ceramic coated shorties and under drive pulleys.]

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
When you say hypermiling, you mean things like turning off the engine when going downhill? I'd kill for 26-27 mpg. [My only mods are ceramic coated shorties and under drive pulleys.]

How much are you getting? I get a solid 18-19mpg and that’s driving like a dipshit around town, I’ve never tried to really chase gas mileage though, always seemed counter intuitive on a Mustang.

DieHarder

Reaction score
31.2 mgp? That's really impressive. Never seen anything close to that. Of course, I'm supercharged so I suspect I never will since I burn gas like a :flamethr:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I get 11 miles per gallon, what kind of miling is that?

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score

I routinely get ~27mpg during highway cruising at an average speed of 70mph. In town I usually get 16-17mpg depending on traffic conditions.
According to my on-board computer, my long term average is 20.5mpg (2.5mpg better than EPA rated average).

ShelbySteve

Reaction score
Finally logged my mpg at 80ish mph and I get around 21mpg. I think it’s around 13 in town

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back