How do I make 400whp in an 06 GT?

Tumble Nuts

Reaction score
Bought my first V8 last month. It's an 06 with 50k miles on it. The car is bonestock aside from the new exhaust I just put on. My question is what should I be spending my money on to make more power? I'm new to working on cars and really don't know much about building them up.

RoninGT

Reaction score
Welcome.

A ton of really smart folks on this site. You'll appreciate that as most of us do.

I just got a 07. In general here is what I learned.

1. If you stay NA you can have a lot of fun, a lot of projects and a good deal of $ but not a ton of HP.

2. The only way I know to get the HP your after is boost. Centrifugal or roots whatever you like best. Not cheap but good reliable power.

My car has some basic mods from Shelby and is a lot of fun as is but I asked the same question you did. However, I live in a emissions area so ultimately if I want more HP, I would have to go buy it as in GT500.

Good luck. Great cars, great forum.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Single turbo kit will get you there easy.

Dallas281

Reaction score
JLT CAI
Stroker kit
High compression pistons
127500 cam
Intake manifold
Ported heads
Cmcv delete
Headers, cat delete, x pipe
Under drive pulley
Light weight drive shaft
And a really good dyno tune Where you are pushing 7000 or more rpm
Rear gears help with your accel but wont produce power either

Lots of forums and a few videos of people making 400-430whp NA with these mods. Some things like a bigger throttle body is debatable since the stocker flows like 1000+cfm.

After years of research, because I have just spent the time enjoying my stock 09 GT. Beat lots of cars I shouldn't have either too.. I am going the NA route and want to push nitrous through it. 500-600whp would be the goal. The 3v is very underrated and I love it. I have heavily debated on coyote or LS swap though, but the 3v can weigh like 3200lbs and less with most of an interior too so big advantage there vs newer cars

Obvsly boost is another answer but everything adds 100-200+ lbs, same with an engine swap so idk depends on your budget and what you want. I like a light, responsive, torquey car

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Bought my first V8 last month. It's an 06 with 50k miles on it. The car is bone stock aside from the new exhaust I just put on. My question is what should I be spending my money on to make more power? I'm new to working on cars and really don't know much about building them up.

There's two routes to achieving 400rwhp from a 3V engine:

1. Naturally-aspirated.

You'd need to just about throw the kitchen sink at a stock short block (CAI, 62mm TB, intake manifold, ported heads with upgraded valve springs, SPR cams with phaser limiters/lockouts, LT headers/mid-pipe, EWP, underdrive pulleys, plus a tune to get that amount of power, and it just isn't cost effective. Even then, you'd still need an aluminium flywheel and driveshaft to reduce the drivetrain loss in order to get to 400rwhp SAE from a NA 4.6 3V. AFAIK, nobody has pulled this off.
Some e.g. BBR claimed in the past to have gotten over 400rwhp from a stock NA 4.6 3V, but this was only with the higher reading STD or STP dyno correction.
It's far easier to get 400rwhp NA if you build a 4.9/5.0/5.3 stroker but the cost can be prohibitive. If you're nevertheless inspired to take that route, check out YouTuber Four Eyes build of his 08 GT (see images below). You can also check out these pages from my site:

Another alternative is a Coyote engine swap. With minor bolt ons, 400rwhp is easily achievable but you need to do your research and due diligence. This page from my site will give you an introduction:

I'd also recommend that you follow Matt Soppa on YouTube. He's performed several Coyote swaps and has solutions to multiple problems. He's also resident here under the username @mattjames

2. Forced induction.

This is by far the easier and less expensive route to 400rwhp. Indeed 450-500rwhp is quite easy to achieve with a supercharger kit and there are different flavours (centrifugal or twin screw). I suggest you watch Brenspeed's videos on YouTube to get an idea of what's possible.

You could also opt for a turbo kit e.g. On3 Performance. It's probably the best bang for the buck of any full-time forced induction set-up. The only downside is the complexity of all the intercooler/exhaust pipework under the car.

Take your time to decide what you want and how much you're willing to spend. Don't forget to include suspension/braking/drivetrain upgrades in your budget, as you'll need to build the whole car around that elevated HP level.

Four Eyes Stage 1.jpg

Four Eyes Stage 2.jpg

Four Eyes Stage 3.jpg

Four Eyes Stage 4.jpg

Last edited:

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
You should check out Four Eyes on youtube, he's doing a series where he took a hist stock '06 GT and upgraded it in stages, with his N/A setup being in the neighborhood of what Dallas posted and makes ~ 410 RHWP. It's a pretty good series, it really shows how much $$$ you can put into an N/A setup. (he's going boosted next)

He has a race w/ a stock 3V:

I got to 350 RWHP with these:

90mm CAI
GT500 Throttle Body
Ford Racing Intake (deletes the CMVCC plates too)
Comp Cams 127400 (great driving cam BTW, it's more about mid-range gains than peak HP)
long tube headers, high flow cats

I'm in the middle of a rebuild right now, going to be going supercharged next. 350 RWHP is a lot of fun but it does leave room for improvement

Larryfishes53

Reaction score
I think you can get close to 350 RWHP NA, maybe a bit more. 350 Hp is a bunch for a 281 CI. Cams, tune, CAI, long tube headers, bigger throttle body, underdrive pulleys, aluminum drive shaft will get you there…Reducing weight won’t make hp but will make your car quicker. I have all the above and am reducing weight by 400 lbs… I.e. tube front, BMR K member and control arms, viking struts, manual brakes and steering, lighter wheels and tires lighter front seats.

KLJ777

Reaction score
Just an fyi. I am pushing just over 500 at the rear wheels. I have been told and have witnessed myself that that is about max I feel comfortable doing without block work and swapping my 5R55.

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
Supercharger is the way. If you're keeping stock block, be careful with boost, and research and invest in a reputable tuner. My profile pic is a rod (one of three) through the stock block on 8.5lbs of boost and ~475whp

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I think you can get close to 350 RWHP NA, maybe a bit more. 350 Hp is a bunch for a 281 CI. Cams, tune, CAI, long tube headers, bigger throttle body, underdrive pulleys, aluminum drive shaft will get you there…Reducing weight won’t make hp but will make your car quicker. I have all the above and am reducing weight by 400 lbs… I.e. tube front, BMR K member and control arms, viking struts, manual brakes and steering, lighter wheels and tires lighter front seats.

Yeah, 350+rwhp (400+hp crank) is quite easily achievable but the best way to get there if you want to minimise low rpm torque loss and have a strong midrange (340+rwtq) is:

JLT 3 CAI
Underdrive pulleys
DIY ported OEM TB
OEM intake manifold with DIY port matched delete plates
127400 SPR cams with phaser limiters
DIY ported heads with stock valves, PAC springs, stock retainers/keepers
Full length LT headers & high flow cats
Lito tune

JC SSP

Reaction score
This might be one of those "genii questions" OP posted and disappeared... LOL

RoninGT

Reaction score
This might be one of those "genii questions" OP posted and disappeared... LOL
Agreed. However a lot of great information though. I still toy with the idea of boost so it is enjoyable reading about how folks go about it.

For all the time effort and $$ involved staying NA I'm not sure why the centrifugal or roots solution isn't just the de facto way to go on a 3v. However if you got the skills and the time I'm sure it's fun doing cams etc.

Great info though. I saved this to my S197 file.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
There is a handful of intake, drop in camshaft and header w/ catted x pipe combos that when properly tuned will put the stock block in the 330 to 350 RWHP area. This makes a very happy and well mannered engine with good sound and response. A little suspension work and gearing will make it quite snappy. Then a stock 5.0 spanks you pride and joy and damn, now what? Build it more and drivability and longevity become an issue or go for the gusto. The 3 valve loves boost. Having read several stories of valve train failures above 7,000 rpm and con rods jumping out of the engine at something over 450 hp I purchased a forged and balanced bottom end kit and put it in my block. Changed the springs in the otherwise stock heads to match the camshafts recommendation and then set a R2300 TVS on top of it. Two different tuners adjusted this combination too over 500 hp at the wheels and the torque is gut wrenching as low as 3,200 rpm. No need to wind to 7,000 rpm. There is no comparison between a normally aspirated engine and a fixed displacement blower motor of the same displacement.

Last edited:

RoninGT

Reaction score
Your description is excellent. I want a snappy well behaved no huge hit to longevity Shelby which already has some suspension work and handles well. 450 sounds about right.

I'm not to concerned if a 5.0 can beat me or not. I have had a gt500 and a 670hp Roush. Someone can always beat ya. I'm in Colorado. Nutcases here have 500hp Subarus! And is there a Mustang anywhere that can beat a Tesla off the line? I don't think so.

Its the driving experience and to a certain point, HP boosts that experience.

(Pun intended)

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Mustang anywhere that can beat a Tesla off the line
Thinking about this. Strikes me a bit funny. Even though it’s below zero and the roads are covered with snow and ice I can throw studded tires on my Mustang and safely drive to town and back. Studs on all four corners and I can play sloppy-slide a little bit for fun. There are a couple Teslas in town. They are frozen in place or sleeping in a garage because they don’t go in the cold. There are no Mach E or electric pickups running around here either.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Just an fyi. I am pushing just over 500 at the rear wheels. I have been told and have witnessed myself that that is about max I feel comfortable doing without block work and swapping my 5R55.
You would require 625 hp at the crank to get 500rwhp with any 5r55s. That's way beyond the safe limit for the stock block. Stock 5r55s just explode with 500 rwhp. I have yet to see any stock 5r55s that will hold 500rwhp.

RoninGT

Reaction score
Thinking about this. Strikes me a bit funny. Even though it’s below zero and the roads are covered with snow and ice I can throw studded tires on my Mustang and safely drive to town and back. Studs on all four corners and I can play sloppy-slide a little bit for fun. There are a couple Teslas in town. They are frozen in place or sleeping in a garage because they don’t go in the cold. There are no Mach E or electric pickups running around here either.
Agreed 100%. However here in Colorado there are a ton of them. Remember, I'm near Boulder which is the Blue tree hugging granola capitol of the world. We freak out over plastic straws.
But to your point, we just had a major storm and it stayed about 35 to 40 degrees so not the impact temperature wise you see.
I will never own an EV. The sales suck for a reason and operational concerns in cold climates is just one factor.
If Biden wants to put his money where his mouth is, outfit the USPS with 100% electric. Let's see how that goes.
However in the mean time there are stock Teslas running 9s and 2.3 second 0 to 60. That is pretty freakish.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back