In fender CAI air re-route

MexGT

forum member
Reaction score
After looking at 2k05gt writeup for brake cooling ducts I decided to do a something similar that will work for CAI's that are in the front fender, nothing great, just a 90* PVC elbow, pics below

Items needed: 3" 90* PVC elbow, L-type things to screw in and black paint.

IMG_3169.jpg

IMG_3173.jpg

Well first I had to measure the opening in the stock front fender and its barely 3" so now I knew what size elbow to buy.

Test fiting the elbow

IMG_3178.jpg

I took the black plastic honeycomb thing and cut 3 openings, where the 3" elbow should be fastened, the lower one wasnt even covered so I didnt bothered in open it.

you can see in the pic below that the center opening is 100% covered and the upper and lower port are around 85% covered, good enough IMO !

IMG_3189.jpg

Then using the parts I mentioned above (dont know the name in english :rant::lol2:) I placed the elbow with the correct angle pointing towards the CAI.

IMG_3201.jpg

Then I decided to paint it black, so no one would notice it :beerdrink: (yeah g/f legs over there haha)

IMG_3209.jpg

And the finished product... anyone should pay close atention to notice the elbow.

IMG_3222.jpg

and a look from the inside, didnt took a pic once I painted it, but its the same thing anyway.

IMG_3183.jpg

Will it make any increase in performance? dont know, I guess its the same thing as doing the Headlight cone thing for the under hood filter, basic same principle more fresh air for the engine.

Being a cheap "mod" I decided to give a try.

And dont worry, I will clean everything haha

281express

forum member
Reaction score
i did something like that except i have the stock box with a drop in k&n, and my pipe is routed directly into the box w/out any drilling or cutting

GT Speeder13

forum member
Reaction score
I have something similar also, 2 1/2" opening running a 2" tube to the intake. It works, but could always be better! lol

Its fun creating things like this, isnt it?

partsbill

forum member
Reaction score
did the same thing, only I used 2 1/2" ID speaker box ports for the intake opening in the grille, didn't see any kind of a improvement, just a dirtier air filter so now I am in the process of installing some fog lamps in the openings.
167.jpg

Last edited:

Styre

It Happens
Reaction score
Maybe put pantyhose over the end towards the filter, or a sock to help with the dirty filter.

wct2

Reaction score
JLT makes a kit for this, but requires inlets be installed in the lower bumper fascia (similar to the brake inductions on the GT500s).
Your approach is stealth....I like it better than the kit.
I may do this!

TheWizard

forum member
Reaction score
I did something like this with a 3" black gutter outlet from home depot. 3"
square outlet on one end and 4" round outlet on the other. Fits perfectly in the middle opening, no cutting. Then routed some heater ducting directly to the CAI. $13 total

ofaekl.jpg

zk225y.jpg

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
I like this idea alot but please tell me you DIDN'T use a zip tie in front of it to secure it...

Gerardo

ofaekl.jpg

TheWizard

forum member
Reaction score
Yes it was a zip tie but have since mounted it. The pic was taken when it was temporary to see if it would work.
I added a few pin holes in the vent to drain the water. So far I have gone threw some deep water and never had a problem with water coming up the vent.
Road debris? That's what the filter is for? This only forces more air to the filter, not through it.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back