JDM 302E Engine Owners - Check In!!

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Just figured I'd post a thread specifically calling JDM 302E engine owners as I probably don't get a vast audience posting it in my build thread.

Anyway, I would like you know your experiences with the JDM 302E motor. From first crank to today, the good and the bad, technical challenges, maintenance issues, etc.

Basically would like to compare specs, setup, owner experience, etc. I haven't met many people with this motor.

Thanks!!

Would like to keep this on the technical side...

Since Skwerl posted his build sheet, I'll post mine. lol

JDM302EBuildSheet_zpsf49ecc86.jpg

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I just bought one second hand (new in the crate) but it hasn't arrived yet. I have the spec sheet. It has Manley pistons and piston to cylinder is .0027". I spoke with a couple people who said it might be a little too tight for high boost, but 10-15 lbs it was fine.

scan0001.jpg

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Now Skwerl, remember not to break it in per JDM specs...
Initially crank it for 20-25 mins until fans turn on, then off, and shut her down.
Dump oil, fill it up with new filter and drive it like you stole it!!!

I was easy on mine per JDM's specs and you know the out come.

Even the local shop said new motors should not be babied or taken easy on.
I told them my motor had a lot of idling periods, due to tuning and heavy traffic. They said that's actually the worst you can do to a new motor.

I'll be following your build/experience.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Make sure the head bolt holes are clean before installing the heads. When assembling the one I recently put together, some of the holes were dirty, one so bad that it had to almost be re-tapped to get cleaned out. For the price of what you're paying, you would not expect this.
Other than a missing windage tray standoff stud not being used, that was the only issue I ran into. And overall, it's a beautiful piece of machinery!

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
Sub'd

I'm about to head down this road myself.

How do these match up to say like Brenspeed B326 3V?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
sub'd as I have been planning on getting this motor also

Sub'd

I'm about to head down this road myself.

How do these match up to say like Brenspeed B326 3V?

I've been pretty firm on my desire for an aluminum block. I spent a lot of money shaving pounds off the front of my car and wasn't willing to dump an extra 70 lbs back on the front axle simply to save a couple dollars. I picked up the JDM only because it was being sold second hand and I saved quite a bit of money. If I were buying new I definitely would have chosen the FRPP Aluminator instead. Ford Racing's reputation for quality and standing behind their engine warranties is unmatched by most other engine builders, especially JDM. You can pick up a Ford Racing Aluminator for $4600 shipped from Tousley Ford.

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
I've been pretty firm on my desire for an aluminum block. I spent a lot of money shaving pounds off the front of my car and wasn't willing to dump an extra 70 lbs back on the front axle simply to save a couple dollars. I picked up the JDM only because it was being sold second hand and I saved quite a bit of money. If I were buying new I definitely would have chosen the FRPP Aluminator instead. Ford Racing's reputation for quality and standing behind their engine warranties is unmatched by most other engine builders, especially JDM. You can pick up a Ford Racing Aluminator for $4600 shipped from Tousley Ford.

Looks like you have done your research. Thanks for the info.

Is the Ford Racing Aluminator a direct bolt in for us 3V guys?

Last edited:

durr4456

forum member
Reaction score

Got a link to that?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Skwerl, I just finished talking to the shop.

They said 0.030" for the oil ring is loose...thats where the oil is going.

We are still going to perform a compression and leak-down. But they are pretty confident that the specs on the motor (build sheet above) are considered "loose" tolerances.

So not sure how your setup will perform. But keep use posted on your experience with oil consumption.

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Skwerl, I just finished talking to the shop.

They said 0.030" for the oil ring is loose...thats where the oil is going.

We are still going to perform a compression and leak-down. But they are pretty confident that the specs on the motor (build sheet above) are considered "loose" tolerances.

So I wonder if JDM will accept the shops diagnosis and take care of you on this?

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
It would be great if someone would make a sticky thread with the top 5 motor builders and there specs.

you know for dumb people like me. lol

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
It would be great if someone would make a sticky thread with the top 5 motor builders and there specs.

you know for dumb people like me. lol

What would have been ideal!! I was so hard for me choosing who to go with and not knowing how it would end up. Plus the investment is so big.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Bryan, since you are next in line to run one of these engines here is what the engineer at Total Seal told me since this is what is in the JDM 302E motor.

The AP rings seat up like any other ring and should have been seated up right away. There are many other factors that come in to play, cylinder finish cylinder geometry, fuel curve during initial run in , break in oil and the list goes on. I generally like to see a person run it sort of easy for 50-100 miles after that get on it. Cylinder pressure is what seats rings. But like I said there are many other possibilities here.
This was an exert of our conversation regarding my particular issue.

But see the red highlighted statement?
Interesting...wish JDM would have specified that.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back