JDM Sterling cams

05sonicblue

forum member
Reaction score
Here is my situation I bought a set of JDM sterling supercharger cams from a guy who went to turbos and had no use for the cams. So I have the cams the comp cams phase limiters and I need the springs. Brenspeed will not give me any information about the springs or specs of the cams. They only say. They use pac springs. I could bring my cams to my machine shop and for 100$ they will measure them out and give me the "secret grind" specs. But, I want to play nice. Anyone have any help for me. I called pac and they don't answer their phones our return calls.

Last edited:

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
They are like that about their cams, main reason i didn't buy detroit rockers and went with hot rod's.
I don't like having a critical engine part I don't know the specs of, just sounds stupid.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Do you know the lift of the cams? You can measure it with a set of v blocks and a dial indicator or on a lathe if you have access to one.

If the lift is below .550 or so you will be able to get by with Comp 26113 springs, more than that and you will need the stiffer Comps or TFS (made by Pac). You can also figure out the icl and lobe separation with a degree wheel.

It's not rocket science and there is no reason for a company to not give out a cam card with a cam purchase, especially with a fuel injected car. Getting the fuel injection timimg (when the injectors start to spray) right makes the difference between making power and having a car that smells like raw gas because it's being sprayed at the wrong time and dumped out the exhaust.

IMO it's just a marketing ploy aimed at uninformed consumers who buy into the "secret squirrel" stuff.

05sonicblue

forum member
Reaction score
Do you know the lift of the cams? You can measure it with a set of v blocks and a dial indicator or on a lathe if you have access to one.

If the lift is below .550 or so you will be able to get by with Comp 26113 springs, more than that and you will need the stiffer Comps or TFS (made by Pac). You can also figure out the icl and lobe separation with a degree wheel.

It's not rocket science and there is no reason for a company to not give out a cam card with a cam purchase, especially with a fuel injected car. Getting the fuel injection timimg (when the injectors start to spray) right makes the difference between making power and having a car that smells like raw gas because it's being sprayed at the wrong time and dumped out the exhaust.

IMO it's just a marketing ploy aimed at uninformed consumers who buy into the "secret squirrel" stuff.

I don't have the tools or knowledge to do the measuring. I'm guessing the lift is around.550

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't have the tools or knowledge to do the measuring. I'm guessing the lift is around.550

Send one to Mike at L&M and he will tell you what you have and what you need for springs.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

In that case I'd take it to the machine shop and pay the fee. $100 isn't as much as it sounds like. It will take them some time to figure out all of the specs, they have to pay the guy to do it, pay taxes, utilities, etc. Not to mention paying for the equipment.

They should give you lifts, lsa, durations, and icl. I'd guess the ramp rates are in line with other Comp cams. You could also call Comp with the grind number and ask them for a cam card or to email the cam card to you. I know of one other person who has gotten a card for a "secret squirrel" cam by just asking Comp since they were doing the grinding.

In fact, you could give Comp the grind number and ask what springs they would recommend.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Are you sure these are a Brenspeed grind? I have done a search and found a JDM sterling grind camshaft, but nothing on brenspeed's website on a sterling camshaft for 05-10 or 11-14 engines. Brenspeed's only custom grind I am aware of is the Detroit Rocker cams and they are a NSR/no phase limiter application ground for them buy Comp Cams. I actually used to have the specs on those but got rid of them after selling the 2005.

reference the link below that comes with springs, limiters, and cam.

http://www.teamjdm.com/2005-2010-3v-mustang-gt-camshaft-upgrad-package-by-jdm/

Last edited:

46addict

Reaction score
Getting the fuel injection timimg (when the injectors start to spray) right makes the difference between making power and having a car that smells like raw gas because it's being sprayed at the wrong time and dumped out the exhaust.

Arent some cams more prone to raw gas smells from overlap?
My car with hot rods and an O/R x pipe smells pretty strong with the windows down in traffic. I think most of that is from not having cats though.

05sonicblue

forum member
Reaction score
Are you sure these are a Brenspeed grind? I have done a search and found a JDM sterling grind camshaft, but nothing on brenspeed's website on a sterling camshaft for 05-10 or 11-14 engines. Brenspeed's only custom grind I am aware of is the Detroit Rocker cams and they are a NSR/no phase limiter application ground for them buy Comp Cams. I actually used to have the specs on those but got rid of them after selling the 2005.

reference the link below that comes with springs, limiters, and cam.

http://www.teamjdm.com/2005-2010-3v-mustang-gt-camshaft-upgrad-package-by-jdm/

I'm so sorry, they are JDM sterling and yes that is the kit. I'm going to call comp cams on Monday. If I get nowhere I will pay the 100$ to have my machine shop measure them. I will keep everyone posted and thanks guys! I appreciate it.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I'm so sorry, they are JDM sterling and yes that is the kit. I'm going to call comp cams on Monday. If I get nowhere I will pay the 100$ to have my machine shop measure them. I will keep everyone posted and thanks guys! I appreciate it.

Call JDM, I'm sure they will help you out. They probably have the cam cards on file and for sure they will know what springs to use.

Brenspeed was probably wondering what you were talking about. Makes me wonder how many times shops get calls for other shops products.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Arent some cams more prone to raw gas smells from overlap?
My car with hot rods and an O/R x pipe smells pretty strong with the windows down in traffic. I think most of that is from not having cats though.

Of course. But it can be amplified if the fuel injector isn't spraying at the right time. This can also cause more fuel consumption when compared to a motor that's spraying at the right time.

I ran Hot Rods with cats and didn't notice any raw gas fumes from the exhaust.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Jim does a good job answering PM's on this site also.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back