Keep breaking wheel studs...

NoTicket

forum member
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if they would charge you to look at it. Just a thought.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
DS out of balance causing just one wheel to break studs? I don't know how that would work.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I'm going with the ever so slightly bent axle theory myself, which is what immediately popped into mind when I read your first post.

A missing weight on the DS will cause vibrations and such, but would very likely eat your pinion gear and/or spacer(s) before causing a stud failure even one time. Much less multiple times.

sixohtofiveoh

forum member
Reaction score
My theory is that it only does it when I loose traction causing the wheel to hop in a different way then axle slapping. Ive already got a stock GT500 DS so I'll swap that and see.

Wouldn't a bent axle cause my axle bearing to leak?

Last edited by a moderator:

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Like I said its done it on 3 different wheels sets, I'm going to assume the wheels are fine..

Its got 40k miles and has a nitrous plate on it still. Im not paying dealership prices... it'd be cheaper to replace my axles then for them to look at it....

Then its your axle. At your power level you shouldnt be damaging ARP studs, let alone the OEM ones. I bet the vibration you are feeling is the bent axle.

Have someone drive behind you and look at your driver rear to see any evidence of a bent axle.

An out of balance driveshaft would cause a vibration, but why would it cause you to break wheel studs on only the driver rear? That makes no sense.

Last edited:

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do you still have the brake retaining clips on 1-2 of the studs? The stock wheels have a recess to account for them but if you use aftermarket wheels those clips must be removed.

Say it aint so!!!!!!! Maybe this is why i have a slight vibration. LMAO if it is. I will punch myself.

I'd look there as well, has to be a common part that has not been changed IMO.

where you two been??

I had to punch myself today. Thanks Brian.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Im not sure what caused the vibration, but all 4 corners still had the clips. If the vibration is gone i will be one happy mofo. Ive had it since i put these wheels on. lol

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
The axle is more than likely bent from wheel hop. Are you running factory lower control arms?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back