Keep breaking wheel studs...

sixohtofiveoh

forum member
Reaction score
So I've had this problem ever since I've done my TR 6060 swap. I keep breaking the Wheel studs in the driver's side rear of my car. I didn't have this problem when my car still had the MT82 in it. It's happened on stock 235's, 275's on RTR wheels, and 325's on Race stars. I've annihilated ARP studs, as well OEM replacements. I've got BMR non adjustable LCA's, but it also did it on stock. I'm starting to believe that its an issue with my driveshaft because I have a vibration over 80 MPH. Can anyone chime in that may have a bit more experience with this problem?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Lots of variables to narrow down. First off, how much torque are you using on the lugs when installing the wheels?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
isn't 70lbs a little loose for a lugnut? I do 100 for years now.

NoTicket

forum member
Reaction score
I suppose you would have mentioned this but are you using any spacers?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Do you still have the brake retaining clips on 1-2 of the studs? The stock wheels have a recess to account for them but if you use aftermarket wheels those clips must be removed.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do you still have the brake retaining clips on 1-2 of the studs? The stock wheels have a recess to account for them but if you use aftermarket wheels those clips must be removed.

Say it aint so!!!!!!! Maybe this is why i have a slight vibration. LMAO if it is. I will punch myself.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the axle on that side is very slightly bent?

I am going to go with this, or the wheel itself. Inspect the lug holes in the wheel very carefully. Are they still intact or are they damaged in anyway?

For it to only be happening on the drivers side rear indicates axle or wheel. Assuming of course you are using the correct lug nuts for the wheel in the first place.

NoTicket

forum member
Reaction score
Have you thought about taking it to a Ford dealership and asking them about it?

sixohtofiveoh

forum member
Reaction score
Its got 40k miles and has a nitrous plate on it still. Im not paying dealership prices... it'd be cheaper to replace my axles then for them to look at it....

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back