Koni Strut groan and rattle

302GT

forum member
Reaction score
I had a Koni str.t strut do the same thing (groaning noise). Then after a while it got clunky. Even one of my rear Koni str.t's took a dump in about a year. I was on SR springs (1.5" drop). The car bottomed out in the rear a lot which I'm sure led to the failure.

FYI, I was using the 11+ struts w/OE mounts. Car is currently on OE shocks/springs and doesn't make any noise at all. It's quite nice actually.

For a short time I did have Bilsteins for the rear after the Koni died. The difference between Bilstein and Koni Strt.t isn't even comparable. Much more control with the Bilstein. Only problem with Bilstein (even with OE springs) was the "choppy" ride at times. The interstate I frequent is concrete and has some undulations in the surface. It'll make you nauseous.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score

This is just me compressing and letting go with my hand.

I put the BMR spring and Steeda HD mount on the stock strut. The sound appears to have been eliminated. I was toying with the idea of brembo brake chatter; but I guess the KONI POStr.t is the problem. I hear a faint clunking; but I think it's just the other KONI strut beginning to do it; gonna do that one next when I have time. Pain doing this alone. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

5tangiac.0

forum member
Reaction score
I have had the frpp non adjustable shocks on p springs with 05-09 gt500 mounts for a few thousand miles now. No issues yet. Knock on wood....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
End endlink werent the problem. Sway bar was removed completely during this time. It was fixed two months ago by replacing the Konis with a different strut.

Back