Looking for a big blower for a street/strip setup

1996lasercobra

forum member
Reaction score
Help me out guys. Was gonna go turbo but thinking big blower instead. Motor is 323 big bore buillt to the gills 9.1:1 compression with 3v ported heads.Want to drive on street with 93 oct and track with 116 oct. Been looking at Procharger F1-c and Vortech YS. Thoughts, ideas, opinions, experiances, other options, deals that you knnow of (may wanna PM that last one), etc.

1996lasercobra

forum member
Reaction score
Dont second guess yourself lol.
I hear ya lol. I'm on the fence still, but I've already got the headers. Power would be there, install would be easier, and all for about the same price when you figure in the big turbo and all the piping and labor that comes with that piping (thats a big expense).

yellowjohn1

forum member
Reaction score
If I were able to spend that kind of cabbage on big supercharger, I would either go with the Procharger F-1, KB Mammoth or maybe a Whipple. I agree that since you already have the headers installed, you should go with a supercharger. That's what I would do anyway.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I hear ya lol. I'm on the fence still, but I've already got the headers. Power would be there, install would be easier, and all for about the same price when you figure in the big turbo and all the piping and labor that comes with that piping (thats a big expense).

Honestly, you can put a 700-900rwhp turbo kit together for $3-4k.

My hotside cost me $1500, turbo $850, wg $225, bov $200. And installed it myself, wasnt really that hard, hardest thing was tapping the oil pan. lol

95ragtop

forum member
Reaction score
Pully changes on the YSi are not hard but a little bit of a pain because the bolts go forward from the engine leaving little room, the hardest one is the middle one that I have to use a racheting wrench and a 12 inch extension to hold the bolt in.

Towelly

forum member
Reaction score
Honestly, you can put a 700-900rwhp turbo kit together for $3-4k.

My hotside cost me $1500, turbo $850, wg $225, bov $200. And installed it myself, wasnt really that hard, hardest thing was tapping the oil pan. lol

FYI, I got my Novi 2200 HO (Intercooled) kit brand new, which is capable of around 750-800RWHP, for under $4k. After all the supporting mods, however, I am up around $5k. But I did get some extras that weren't required. I could have done it for $4500 if I had wanted to really do a budget build.

1996lasercobra

forum member
Reaction score
FYI, I got my Novi 2200 HO (Intercooled) kit brand new, which is capable of around 750-800RWHP, for under $4k. After all the supporting mods, however, I am up around $5k. But I did get some extras that weren't required. I could have done it for $4500 if I had wanted to really do a budget build.

Thanks. Never really considered Paxton. They also got the new Novi 2500 but not if they offer it for my car.

1996lasercobra

forum member
Reaction score
Pully changes on the YSi are not hard but a little bit of a pain because the bolts go forward from the engine leaving little room, the hardest one is the middle one that I have to use a racheting wrench and a 12 inch extension to hold the bolt in.
thanks for the inside info. i like the idea of the sepeate cog direct drive on the f1-c

tached_out

Bigger the better
Reaction score
3.4 whipple...just saying :beerdrink:

Its hard to find a 3.4 not to many of them left ;)

I love my 3.4 set up so far, still having slight issues with the fuel rails. (fore fuel rails are not wainting to fit with the 3.4's water cross over)

I would go with a 2.8 KB for an easy install. Even though I bought a complete kit that I ended up bolted on I replaced just about every thing but the blower for bigger stuff.

I rode in a few whipple cars and I am liking them for for a street car than when I had my procharger.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back