Looking for the right Offset/backspacing for S197 05-09

Deathstang II

Reaction score
I be asking a lot of questions around here, putting a lot of time and money into my ride and the moment and googling around don't help much.

So, Looking at a nice set of Laguna S152s for the rear of my car. I'll be running a 17x10, 5x114.3 pattern, but what I'm unsure about is the backspacing and offset. Do any of you recommend any offset to flush out the wheel gap or a 0 offset should be good enough?

I'm also looking for the right size street tire (Not drag), to fit it. What size would you recommend if I'm trying to achieve but an index finger worth of wheel gap. The car will have stock springs in the back and Steeda 1.25 In lowering springs in the front. Thank you.

Last edited:

AHaze

Reaction score
10" wide, 42mm offset is a good fit on this chassis. 0 offset wheels will stick out in the breeze. A 285/45-17 would be a perfect fit but I don't know of any tires available in anything close to that size. You'll have an easier time finding tires if you go with an 18 or 19 inch wheel.
Edit: just noticed you're leaving the stock rear springs in it. That will necessitate a much taller tire than stock to get the fender gap down to one finger. You're probably gonna have to run rubber designed for SUVs to achieve that.

Last edited:

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Look up the specs on boss 302 S, 19x10 rear wheels. Those backspace and offsets work on all 4 corners w/285s.

IIRC, they are 47 or 48 mm offset.

Deathstang II

Reaction score
10" wide, 42mm offset is a good fit on this chassis. 0 offset wheels will stick out in the breeze. A 285/45-17 would be a perfect fit but I don't know of any tires available in anything close to that size. You'll have an easier time finding tires if you go with an 18 or 19 inch wheel.
Edit: just noticed you're leaving the stock rear springs in it. That will necessitate a much taller tire than stock to get the fender gap down to one finger. You're probably gonna have to run rubber designed for SUVs to achieve that.

Appreciate the knowledge. My goal is to have the ass end of the car lifted up substantially, but not to where it looks ridiculous. So 42mm offset is what you'd recommend over 0? The highest I can go on these rims is 50/7.5" (Offset/Backspace).

Look up the specs on boss 302 S, 19x10 rear wheels. Those backspace and offsets work on all 4 corners w/285s.

IIRC, they are 47 or 48 mm offset.

As for rim size from both of you, I'm sort of determined to do 17's to have a more larger/fatter tire on the car without running into the sway bar clearance issue. If there's more options available in 18's I guess I may have to go that route.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Ignore the 19" part, just offered that as reference for backspace and offset.

AHaze

Reaction score
Appreciate the knowledge. My goal is to have the ass end of the car lifted up substantially, but not to where it looks ridiculous. So 42mm offset is what you'd recommend over 0? The highest I can go on these rims is 50/7.5" (Offset/Backspace).
50mm is the only offset that wheel is offered in that won't have your tires sticking outside the fenders. Unfortunately, it's going to cause the opposite issue where the tires tuck inside the fenders a bit.

Deathstang II

Reaction score
50mm is the only offset that wheel is offered in that won't have your tires sticking outside the fenders. Unfortunately, it's going to cause the opposite issue where the tires tuck inside the fenders a bit.

Would you say it's going to be terribly noticeable? I don't mind them being tucked a little bit. Long as if itll look relatively flush. I'm probably going to run 285/40R17's for the tires. Nitto makes some alright street tires in that size.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There is a whole thread on wheel and tire sizes in the stickies. That info should help you.

Deathstang II

Reaction score
There is a whole thread on wheel and tire sizes in the stickies. That info should help you.

Wow I'm dumb....there's a "wheels and tires" topic with that sticky. I was honestly looking for a topic thread just for this reason and couldn't find it until I double looked. I found the sticky, thank you.

AHaze

Reaction score
Would you say it's going to be terribly noticeable? I don't mind them being tucked a little bit. Long as if itll look relatively flush. I'm probably going to run 285/40R17's for the tires. Nitto makes some alright street tires in that size.
It won't be too bad. You can always add a small spacer. That tire size is shorter than stock though so your fender gap is going to get bigger. 285/40 18 was the stock rear on the 07-09 GT500.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I run a 29" tall tire and Cobra Jet Springs and love the way the tire tucks in the wheel well.

I believe these pics I was on ProKit springs I think. I have swapped springs so many times I forget.

I have a pretty decent rake on the car as the front end has been lowered more than the rear and the larger back tire. It gives it an old school street rod stance.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back