Mach-e unveil

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Electric cars are a fad and won't survive long term. There is too much money involved with ICE vehicles and the infrastructure is over 100 years old. I see no scenario where electric cars become the norm and ICE vehicles disappear, we have too much invested in them.
It's certainly not something that can happen overnight, more like your crystal ball needs to be looking 30 to 50 years out. In spite of what CA, NJ, and I think MA would like to make happen sooner.

No matter how fast electrics are, they are some of the most boring vehicles I have ever rode in/driven.
Neither of which seems to matter all that much to the average car buyer. And the problem is, 'they' outnumber 'us'.

Norm

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Electric cars are a fad and won't survive long term. There is too much money involved with ICE vehicles and the infrastructure is over 100 years old. I see no scenario where electric cars become the norm and ICE vehicles disappear, we have too much invested in them. No matter how fast electrics are, they are some of the most boring vehicles I have ever rode in/driven.

I don't agree they are a fad, but I do kinda agree they won't completely replace ICE cars. At least not for a LONG time.

The scenario I see is this. EV gets cheaper to buy and cheaper to buy until at some point a battery technology and recharge times deliver an acceptably quick charge time and range. At that point economics will take over. If the cars are similarly priced and you can charge at home or public stations or at EV "gas" stations and the operating costs are lower than ICE, less and less people will buy ICE. This would continue until traditional gas stations can't sell enough gas at a price low enough to make enough profit to stay in business. Gas will become more expensive because they can sell less but need the same profit to stay in business. As the gas price increases the financial benefit of EV will grow. Basic economics will win.

But A LOT of things have to happen before that becomes a possible situation. Not the least of which is power production and distribution. The amount of electricity that will b needed for even a 25% EV fleet US wide is enormous. We cant support that yet.

Rich

Reaction score
Neither of which seems to matter all that much to the average car buyer. And the problem is, 'they' outnumber 'us'.

Truer words have not been spoken. It's a shame there aren't more enthusiasts, but that's just how it is. The masses will always win. Makes me wonder how long V8 engines will continue to be massed produced since turbo 6's and 4's seem to be taking over.

Rich

Reaction score
I don't agree they are a fad, but I do kinda agree they won't completely replace ICE cars. At least not for a LONG time.

The scenario I see is this. EV gets cheaper to buy and cheaper to buy until at some point a battery technology and recharge times deliver an acceptably quick charge time and range. At that point economics will take over. If the cars are similarly priced and you can charge at home or public stations or at EV "gas" stations and the operating costs are lower than ICE, less and less people will buy ICE. This would continue until traditional gas stations can't sell enough gas at a price low enough to make enough profit to stay in business. Gas will become more expensive because they can sell less but need the same profit to stay in business. As the gas price increases the financial benefit of EV will grow. Basic economics will win.

But A LOT of things have to happen before that becomes a possible situation. Not the least of which is power production and distribution. The amount of electricity that will b needed for even a 25% EV fleet US wide is enormous. We cant support that yet.

All your points are true and valid. I also look at it from a perspective of all of the support that would disappear if ICE Vehicles went away. Think of all the fluids and parts that ICE vehicles consume, not to mention passenger cars I assume only make up a percentage of total ice Vehicles worldwide. Look at all of the other forms of transportation that rely on ICE and I just don't see how it could ever go away.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
All your points are true and valid. I also look at it from a perspective of all of the support that would disappear if ICE Vehicles went away. Think of all the fluids and parts that ICE vehicles consume, not to mention passenger cars I assume only make up a percentage of total ice Vehicles worldwide. Look at all of the other forms of transportation that rely on ICE and I just don't see how it could ever go away.

It's one of those things that would transform, for better or worse, the focus of the world economy. A lot of jobs would go away, but unknown jobs would probably be created. It's a big question mark.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
having fomo over v8's being gone is useless, GM is _still_ making 240 hp chevy 350's painted black with tin valve covers for $2400 or something like that. There is such an unbelievable glut of stuff still in existence. Any second I want I can pick up another gen 3 6.0 LS or a windsor core to build up. It seems to me there are more cylinder head and intake varieties available now than at any other time.

As long as any of us are alive, we'll be able to fire up our ramshackle jalopies and blow out the dust and crud.

The jobs thing, we are just playing with a stick in the sand box. Unskilled labor is about to take a huge dive in usefulness. Most people will just move around and retrain into highly skilled detail jobs like mine, others will be in the gig economy, we will always need police, fire, people to care for the old and sick... I'd say a full 30% of employable people will be paid to do JACK SHIT in the fairly near future that is before I retire. That's about all though, no more than that.

07 Boss

Reaction score
California is supposed to phase out the ICE by 2035 for new vehicles. Just how is that state going to support that kind of an electrical grid when they can't keep the power on now?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
China will sell them as many modular compact nuclear reactors as they want

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
California is supposed to phase out the ICE by 2035 for new vehicles. Just how is that state going to support that kind of an electrical grid when they can't keep the power on now?

For the last 10-15 years DOJ has been promoting NetZero agendas with a goal of 2020! At the beginning of 2020 a new stance was taken; don’t mention NetZero!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich

Reaction score
Shit, look what happened in Texas back in February when that cold front moved in and everybody turned on their heaters to stay warm. Almost complete grid failure. There's no damn way our internal power grids can support millions of EV's charging at the same time. That's why I still believe EV's will never become the norm. They have their market for sure, but ICE vehicles are too vastly incorporated into our society to up and disappear within a few decades. We're just talking passenger cars on here, but think of all of the other vehicles that use ICE, it's mind blowing!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back