Mach-e unveil

OX1

forum member
Reaction score
Forget plugging into a 1 kw 110 vac outlet in your garage overnight, not gonna work. The typ 240 vac chargers are 6.3 kw.... and use 8 awg cu..... like an electric stove. Easily installed in a garage.

For condo owners, and folks in apartment buildings, you are outa luck.

Or those that don't have guaranteed parking in front of their house and/or their side of the street (and either have another car in driveway already or don't even have a driveway, like many shore houses)

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Obviously it's not the perfect fit for EVERYBODY.
No car is.
But all those people buying Teslas now, they either have a charging solution or come up with a solution when they buy the car.
Audi e-tron owners, same thing.

Why do some of you think that the buyer for this car won't somehow come up with a way to do the same?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Not having a home recharging solution would be a huge roadblock for most folks.

I have no idea what the National Electric Code or local building codes have to say here, but I'd expect them to be strict rather than lenient in what they allow. Stricter yet for apartments and condos.

Norm

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Obviously it's not the perfect fit for EVERYBODY.
No car is.
But all those people buying Teslas now, they either have a charging solution or come up with a solution when they buy the car.
Audi e-tron owners, same thing.

Why do some of you think that the buyer for this car won't somehow come up with a way to do the same?
All those people buying Teslas who have a charging solution are mostly in the upper middle class and above who can afford both the Tesla and charging solutions. However for the average person and for those who aren't in the upper middle class are not able to afford buying a vehicle that costs up to 60k. Also as previously mentioned, for those who live in apartment buildings, condos or houses that don't have access to a garage wouldn't be able to come up with a charging solution anyhow. Therefore an all electric vehicle just wouldn't be considered as very practical even if they were able to afford purchasing the base model at 43k :shrug:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
These cars are not going to end up in the cities. They will be bought by upper middle class buyers with large houses (with garages and electrical hookups) that commute back and forth to work and that feel guilty about their "environmental impact".

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
He missed a big issue that needs to be addressed for almost everyone I know. Charge time. If I own a car and I take even infrequent trips of 300-400 miles, an EV with just 240 miles of range is not going to cut it. I am not going to buy a car that will require hours to charge part way through an otherwise 4 hour trip.

Even through it isn't a limitation most days around home it presents as a major limitation mentally. As rational or even irrational as it may sound being able to jump in my car and drive off for several hundred miles is an option I am comfortable with. On this hypothetical trip I could stop for gas, food, and bathroom in under 20 minutes and be back on the road. With current technology at about 225 mile I would need to stop and charge for hours. Big thumbs down.

I'm driving my family to Florida in a few weeks (about 1200 miles one way). That's about 5 stops to charge. If we had an EV we'd double (at the least) our travel time for charging. To the mainstream buyer that is just not acceptable.

Now if you could drive 300 miles (about 4-5 hours) and stop for an hour or less to take a break, pee, eat, stretch while the car charges and then be able to do another 300 miles, I think a lot of people would be interested in learning more.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
His only nod toward actual enjoyment of driving is limited to mentioning "robust acceleration". No surprises there.

Norm

It would be totally doable to make electric vehicles drive just like gas powered cars. It's all in the "tune". You could make it deliver power just the way a gas car does. Or any other of an infinite ways you might choose.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
It would be totally doable to make electric vehicles drive just like gas powered cars. It's all in the "tune". You could make it deliver power just the way a gas car does. Or any other of an infinite ways you might choose.
That only "fixes" the way it'd drive in a straight line.

Norm

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
553e07c30f2c1ace8588169cd2a29417.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Great car, they'll sell all they can make. Electricity in every home to charge and charging stations all over- the future of ford's all electric fleet is bright.

I prefer the id4 vw.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Still think it should have been named something else. But I'd drive one.

At some point the battery recharge/range limitations will be sorted out and then the full core switch will begin.

Almost infinitely adjustable power delivery will be pretty cool. You want massive torque of the bottom end? No problem. You want it to pull away strong and build like a V8? No problem. You want maximum efficiency to go as far as possible on the charge? No problem. Endless possibilities. The same car could behave like a econobox commuter and then with the push of a button behave like a hypercar.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Almost infinitely adjustable power delivery will be pretty cool. You want massive torque of the bottom end? No problem. You want it to pull away strong and build like a V8? No problem. You want maximum efficiency to go as far as possible on the charge? No problem. Endless possibilities. The same car could behave like a econobox commuter and then with the push of a button behave like a hypercar.
You mean like an infinite number of "drive modes"? When 5 modes is already at least two more than anyone needs?

I have a feeling that something like that would end up being tried in the beginning and almost never bothered with afterward. Especially since it's pretty much a guarantee that Ford would have it all reset itself to their defaults every key cycle.

Norm

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You mean like an infinite number of "drive modes"? When 5 modes is already at least two more than anyone needs?

I have a feeling that something like that would end up being tried in the beginning and almost never bothered with afterward. Especially since it's pretty much a guarantee that Ford would have it all reset itself to their defaults every key cycle.

Norm

I was talking more in general terms about the adjustability. How or even if it was implemented from the factory is a big question mark. But people will figure out how to "tune" them to perform just like they do with what we have now. In reality it'd be a bit of boon for performance junkies.

Rich

Reaction score
Electric cars are a fad and won't survive long term. There is too much money involved with ICE vehicles and the infrastructure is over 100 years old. I see no scenario where electric cars become the norm and ICE vehicles disappear, we have too much invested in them. No matter how fast electrics are, they are some of the most boring vehicles I have ever rode in/driven.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back