Meizure electric water pump

phattyfat

forum member
Reaction score
I'm installing an electric water pump on a BBB. Just wondering what everyone is doing about the thermostat. Leaving it be? Drilling 1/8" holes? Running nothing or restrictor plates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07 Boss

Reaction score
I've been running one on my 4.6 and didn't do anything with the thermostat. I always assumed that the water would circulate around the block but just wouldn't go through the radiator until the thermostat opened. But I've never had an issue with it.. Removing the thermostat, along with the electric pump, will make it so the car takes a lot longer to warm up.

phattyfat

forum member
Reaction score
I've been running one on my 4.6 and didn't do anything with the thermostat. I always assumed that the water would circulate around the block but just wouldn't go through the radiator until the thermostat opened. But I've never had an issue with it.. Removing the thermostat, along with the electric pump, will make it so the car takes a lot longer to warm up.

Yeah that was the route I was thinking I wanted to take. Did you have any issues burping the system?

travelers

Reaction score
I also left the thermostat alone on the '07. As for burping I would get or borrow the vacuum setups. I used one on my '11 rad system and HE setup works great.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Yeah that was the route I was thinking I wanted to take. Did you have any issues burping the system?

No but I have a bleeder valve on top of my coolant crossover which is the highest point in my system.

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are you scared of?

I can tell you what worries me... a loose wire or blown fuse can cause a complete failure of the pump, and temps will skyrocket quickly. At least with a crank driven pump the bearings may begin to howl as a warning, and some cooling capacity will remain. Of course there are the total fail possibilities of a mechanical pump as well when serpentine belts shred, but at least the whole cluster lights up.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
If the pump stops. That coolant gauge is gonna raise pretty quick

07 Boss

Reaction score
I can tell you what worries me... a loose wire or blown fuse can cause a complete failure of the pump, and temps will skyrocket quickly. At least with a crank driven pump the bearings may begin to howl as a warning, and some cooling capacity will remain. Of course there are the total fail possibilities of a mechanical pump as well when serpentine belts shred, but at least the whole cluster lights up.

If the pump stops. That coolant gauge is gonna raise pretty quick

Failure of the mechanical pump or belt will result in the same. Now granted there are more mechanical pumps than electric out there but how many failures have you heard of with electrical pumps compared to mechanical ones? If a wire or fuse goes it is an easy fix. The failure of either a mechanical or electric pump will lead to the same end result.

I'll tell you why I think the upside to having electric outweighs any fears you may have.

The are pretty darn dependable and I've never had one go out, can't say the same for mechanicals. Granted I've had many more mechanicals than electric but I've had at least a dozen without incident.

If your belt goes out, which will tend to happen more with superchargers, you can still drive the car as long as the battery will last without overheating. I drove almost 50 miles without a belt one time, but I made it to the next town where I needed to get help.

When your car is idling in traffic with no air flow over the radiator, the pump remains at full capacity flowing a ton more coolant than a mechanical at 700 rpms. My temp factory temp gauge needle used to sit right in the middle of the gauge. Since going with the Meziere it never gets to that point. It always is at least one notch below that. In fact I have seen my gauge drop while idling in the staging lanes at the track. Why, because you have the max amount of coolant flowing at all times.

For you track guys. You can run the pump and high-speed fan without the motor running. This equates to many more runs without running into heat soak issues. It takes about 20 minutes between runs with no drop off in ET due to heat issues.

And you get the benefit of less parasitic loss due to the accessory or serpentine belt. It does take a bit of force to pump that water. Squeezing every bit of power out of your car is the goal of some of you guys out there so I think this is a no brainer.

So there are many pluses to running an electric over a mechanical. The only fear you guys have is of failure which I think is more prone to the mechanical than the electric but either way it is way outweighed by the benefits. And as far as reliability I have never witnessed a failure. I daily my car with the Meziere in the high desert heat of Las Vegas and run the AC most of that time. I beat my car like a red headed step child too. No issues.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah my comment was mainly a "your gonna notice the gauge shooting up"

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
So 07 Boss writes a book on the subject, and it's all dead on.

During HPDE's I leave the accessory switch on after each run to pump coolant through the motor while the t-stat is still open. Now, thanks to the seed planted by 07 Boss, I'm going to look into putting a timer on a momentary switch that will run the pump and fan for 5 or 10 minutes. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
07 boss, great explanation, I've been contemplating the switch because of the pros listed but unfortunately in my research for the 05-09 meizures pumps the failure rate seems quite high, I have heard of others go through several units.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
07 boss, great explanation, I've been contemplating the switch because of the pros listed but unfortunately in my research for the 05-09 meizures pumps the failure rate seems quite high, I have heard of others go through several units.

I have had two (2) on mine over the past 6 yrs.
Below is the one I am running.
I have probably 4 yrs maybe 5 yrs on the 1st one.

Here is the 2nd one going on here locally in 2015.

Meziere 300 Series Electric Water Pump for Supercharged Application,

http://www.brenspeed.com/wp346s.html

Terry

07 Boss

Reaction score

That is a first for me. I mean it is a mechanical device and will one day eventually fail but the only ones I have seen fail were the older ones with the single bearing on the dummy pulley. I have actually swapped mine out for the HD version which has a stouter set up for the pulley. I have seen a couple of pulleys disintegrate on S/C applications but those were not the HD units. I will definitely keep my ears peeled for any failures. I would hate to recommend this and then have it let them down. I've ran the first unit for 70K miles and never had a hiccup. I just recently swapped to the HD unit because I figured after 30K miles with the SC it might be short on time. I have the other one along with the stocker sitting on a shelf for that just in case moment.

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
I love the idea of less parasitic loss of an electric water pump, I have been concerned of its longevity as an every day driver and long trips. But if am reading this thread correctly, they are more reliable than the mechanical water pumps? As I read awhile ago it's like 15 horsepower needed to spin the stock pump.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Only thing is the power used to turn the electric pump comes from somewhere.
Gonna give a little more load on the alternator. But pro side is it can be ran with car off to help cool between runs.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I installed one to both reduce the load on the belt drive with the Kenne Bell, and to be able to turn it on at the track with a switch. That was like in 2008.
Now, I still am using the same pump with the turbos, but bypassed the dummy pulley altogether, using a shorter belt. I had a IW 8 rib stock-diameter balancer installed and had upgraded everything to 8-rib as it was; so when I removed the KB, I left everything else 8-rib and just routed a shorter 8-rib belt differently around the crank to the lower idler pulley; no belt slip issues.
(the belt I'm using is an 8-rib belt, dayco 5080890, 89” long).

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back