Moving to an area that requires emissions testing....

Reaction score
Moving to a county in Georgia that requires emissions testing. I don't think they use the sniffer test but connect to the OBD port. My car has off road mid pipe, tune, and CAI. Will the tune having the catalytic converters turned off throw a code to the emissions tester forcing the car to fail? I'm kinda not ready to drop the cash on a catted midpipe and new tune right now. What do you guys do to dodge emissions?

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
It causes it on my car. Find someone to "get" you an inspection done. They are typically charging less now that there is no sticker involved.

V8 Vol

El Jefe
Reaction score
I haven't had to do this yet since mine is a 2014, but I will assume that in 2016 my cats will go back on a few months before the testing and upload a tune with that change (I use Bama).

Some tuners can send you a tune that will work without cats, but those experiences vary greatly and it would suck to have your tag expire and still be working on trying to get passed.

There is also a visual test, but from my experience they have no idea where to look and just go through the motion.

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
Put two non-foulers on each rear O2 sensor. Install the STOCK tune. Drive for a while (20-40 miles) Go pass inspection. Install performance tune. Be happy.

The guys that did my inspection, after failing 3 times, knew good and well my car didn't have cats. As long as the computer passed it, they didn't care. Hell, I blew it off at the time because I didn't know what non-foulers were, but when I failed the first time they asked me if the car had non-foulers.

07TR

forum member
Reaction score
Put two non-foulers on each rear O2 sensor. Install the STOCK tune. Drive for a while (20-40 miles) Go pass inspection. Install performance tune. Be happy.

The guys that did my inspection, after failing 3 times, knew good and well my car didn't have cats. As long as the computer passed it, they didn't care. Hell, I blew it off at the time because I didn't know what non-foulers were, but when I failed the first time they asked me if the car had non-foulers.

That's a good shop and a good trick

danzcool

Reaction score
Keep a mailing address in the non-emissions county and leave your car registered there? Got a buddy or Family member that still lives there that would be willing to have your mail delivered to them?

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Did you keep your stock catted mid-pipe? I would just throw that back on, flash the PCM with the stock tune and go get tested. Then come home put the off road midpipe back in and re-flash the car with the modded tune.

It's less than an hours work. That's of course assuming you have the original catted mid-pipe and have a hand held tuner for the car.

Another option is leave the car registered to an address that does not test. In Illinois it goes by whatever address is on your drivers license. So I can move and put in a forwarding address with the post office but as long as I stay away from the DMV and don't change the address on my drivers license then the car stays registered to county A even if I reside in county B.

Last edited:

HG6283

Granny Shifter
Reaction score
I have high-flow cats, and on the rear sensors I had to install 2 anti-foulers on bank 1, and 3 anti-foulers on bank 2, to prevent showing a code.
In my area, they check emissions without sniffing.

Trade it in for a VW Diesel, I hear they pass emissions ;)

^^^ Good One! ^^^

Last edited:

svtadam27

forum member
Reaction score
As long as no check engine light is on you should be fine. But you'll fail the visual inspection portion with no cats. Also there are days they do two speed idle tests in which a tailpipe Prob does get inserted but it's mainly for data gathering for GCAF. I have the moniter turned off in my tune and I pass every year with the help of one of my good friends.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
After installing JBA ceramic LT's and JBA hi-flow cats, mine would throw the P0420 + P0430 ... 'catalyst system low efficiency' codes. Not all the time, but usually 5 mins after using the blower on the hwy a few times, and never around town. Installed a single anti fouler on each side, and it was worse, throwing the same 2 codes, 6 times more often. Removed the anti foulers, then shut off rear O2 sensors in another provided tune. We don't have emissions in my town, but do in the next town over, so if the car was ever sold, it could be an issue.

Big Daddies garage makes unique anti foulers, with a tiny cat built into the exhaust end of the anti fouler. It was designed for folks with no cats at all, or folks WITH hi flow cats, LT's etc. Works good, provided the inspection agency doesn't looks for cats with a mirror on the end of the stick.

http://bigdaddiesgarage.com/mini-cat-cel-fix.html#o2%20Simulator%20Mini%20Cat%20Big%20Daddies%20Garage

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back