Need a tune

FredB66

Reaction score
I believe needing a wideband depends on if your NA or FI. Lito asked that I get a wideband and a boost gauge when he did my tune. I think the boost gauge was optional, but he preferred having it.

DieHarder

Reaction score
Is a Wideband O2 sensor required or can people tune without it?

IMHO preferred; especially if you plan additional upgrades in the future and a necessity if you add a blower. For what you're doing he can tune without it but easier to get the most out of the tune if you install a wideband that you can monitor/capture AFR's from and other parameters with a laptop (optional) and software (I use Livelink). With them Lito will be able to tune the car perfectly.

If you are planning additional upgrades in the future to do this right add a WB sensor/gauge and laptop to monitor outputs from the WB and X4. Setup's not that difficult and you can learn quite a bit about tuning.

Word of warning using the SCT X4 - Once it's mated to your car (and working properly) do not accept global updates from SCT. My experience has been too many issues with the software updates (had to send mine in once to fix it); not accepting the updates has not affected my ability to use the device (modify/add/replace/update tunes). My recommendation is don't accept them when they pop up on your computer.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Agree on the updates. No need if everything is working. Most of the time, the update is not even applicable to your car. I have updated my x4, and watched what files were being pushed. I can tell you, its the entire database of supported vehicles.
Update only if sct tech support tells you to, ignore the popup. And restore to stock before updating, and reload tune after.

JC SSP

Reaction score
If its just the CAI or off-roads you can get away with the strategy tunes that come on some handheld programmers or a download from reputable sources (i.e., Steeda, Brenspeed, etc.)

If your looking to build on what you have and continue with more advanced mods (i.e., cams, bigger TB, power-adders, etc.) that require re-tuning, then make the connections locally on "who tunes" Fords (preferably with a dyno) so you can update and re-tune as necessary. Obviously, more expensive, but your chances of getting done right are much better.

Jim O

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong but... if the car is stock except for a cai you don't need a custom tune. SCT tuners are pre programmed with certain CAI's so you can just select your cai and which octane you want to tune for and its a go.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong but... if the car is stock except for a cai you don't need a custom tune. SCT tuners are pre programmed with certain CAI's so you can just select your cai and which octane you want to tune for and its a go.

That's true except that the pre-programmed "canned" tunes in the SCT handheld tuner aren't as well optimized as an email tune from a reputable hands on tuner such as Lito or Brenspeed.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back