Need some help

rad_rob

forum member
Reaction score
So I was driving around today to go help out my stranded friend. When I got back in my car after getting his going, my car wasnt running right. It definitely lost some power and kinda sounds like its not firing on one cylinder. There is no knocking or anything like that, just not running right and it even sounds like its not firing on a cylinder. I checked all the coild to make sure theyre getting power and they are, but i dont have the tool right now to get my plugs out to check them out. It is however raining outside and I have a trufiber hood and and intake. Do you think I may have just gotten some water in there, or something else? I had to get home and thought if it was water it would have gone away by now, but its still doing it. Just curious if any of you guys may have experienced this before or possibly know where else I should look. It was running perfect when i shut it off for not even 2 minutes to help my buddy but when i fired it back up, the problem started. Thanks in advance for the help!

cdutchess78

forum member
Reaction score
sounds like it could be water.i used to have stock hood and then switches to a cervinis concept hood which has dual openings in the front.i went to car wash and sprayed car with hose like always not thinking about opened hood and cai. when i went to take off,it started misfiring and popping,sputtering,etc.luckily i had canned air with me,so pulled off side of road,took off cai,and sprayed water out.worked fine after that.id say thats your problem.

rad_rob

forum member
Reaction score
That makes me feel a little better. haha. Im gonna let it sit until this storm passes and check it out then. Its gonna be an intense storm for a few days apparantly, but as soon as it passes, hopefully all will be fine. :)

HorsePowerAddicts

Builder/Tuner
Reaction score
Most likely sucked in some water but could also be a coil going bad. Moisture in the air can affect the coils when they are going bad.

rad_rob

forum member
Reaction score
Most likely sucked in some water but could also be a coil going bad. Moisture in the air can affect the coils when they are going bad.

I wonder if this is what it could be. How would I check that? I went and tried to idle it tonight and it is still running funky. Im gonna try to figure it out tomorrow morning, but Im starting to stress about it.

rad_rob

forum member
Reaction score
Well I scanned the car this morning and it is throwing 12 codes. 4 of them are for the oxygen sensors which I expected, but the rest are ignition coil faults. The first one said ignition coil D and then he read through the rest really fast, but they were all ignition coil faults. Now Im not sure where to look. Theyre all getting power, I checked them with my multimeter last night, so Im lost now. Any ideas?

HorsePowerAddicts

Builder/Tuner
Reaction score
First step would be to clear the codes. Then start the car up and see which codes come back on. See which cylinders are misfiring. Then swap a coil from a cylinder not misfiring with one that is misfiring. If the misfire changes cylinders then you know the coils bad. Could be many other problems but that is a simple test to try.

bullitt boy

Reaction score
Make sure that there is no water in the plug wells under the coils around the plugs.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was having a misfir, had an inch of water on one of the plugs because the cop boot didnt have a good seal, ended up sucking it out with a straw lol and shoving a microfiber towel down in there to try the rest then removed and cleaned the plug and cop and problem fixed.

rad_rob

forum member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if that's it. There was a ton of water around the coils so I wonder if I just got some water in there. If not ill try switching the coils around and see what happens

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Check the simple stuff first. Check the plugs and the COP's. From the codes is sounds like it may be a bad COP but it may be a plug too. I would do what was mentioned earlier which is clear the codes first then start it and see which ones come back.

rad_rob

forum member
Reaction score
Well, I pulled all the COP's and there was no water at all down by the plugs. I tried switching them around and nothing changed at all. I find it hard to think that that many plugs could go bad so suddenly. Im picking up a scanner tomorrow and Im going to actually right down each code that comes up and go from there, but this has me totally stumped.

rad_rob

forum member
Reaction score
Well I got my buddies code reader and plugged it back in. It only threw 3 codes. 1 was P0354 and the other 2 were both P0351. From my search, it looks like thats igniton coil "D" for the P0354 and "A" for the P0351. I cant figure out why it would be throwing 2 for one coil though...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back