New house, new renovation project :)

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Gabe,

I have been following your thread here on your new home project.
It is beautiful and you have a lot of exceptional talent to do what I have seen in the pics.

Congratulations on a beautiful home. :cheersman:

Terry

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Thanks Terry ...

Yesterday we continued installing hardwood, I finished the wood in the large back bedroom, my bro-in-law started the small bedroom, I took over and will finish it today, he also took on installing more wood on the living room floor and he installed the barn door on the walk-in closet.

The back bedroom floor:

2015-07-24_hardwd1_zpsojtcpj0h.jpg

2015-07-24_hardwd2_zpssqiqgbmv.jpg

2015-07-24_hardwd3_zpsaptarmbp.jpg

The small bedroom, with only the last 2 rows left to be installed:

2015-07-24_hardwd4_zpsoavxzasz.jpg

The barn door, which will need to be tweaked a bit, the door needs to be raised and the mount locations will be changed a bit, but it looks awesome:

2015-07-24_barn-door_zps2baxgqfk.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Today I finished the hardwood in the small bedroom and the larger of the 2 hallway closets.

The bedroom:

2015-07-25_hardwd-smallBR_zps3bayakaj.jpg

I also installed a bunch more hardwood in the living room, with only 2-3 courses left to run, and that will make it so ALL the hardwood will have been installed.

Meanwhile, my bro-in-law stayed busy as well, he finished installing the barn door in the front bedroom, for the walk-in closet.
He then built a platform with hardwood on top and a flat front on which we'll install some of the same tile as the bathroom floor.

The platform, right after he started it:

2015-07-25_laundry1_zpsuelv5hij.jpg

With 2 sheets of particle board on top:

2015-07-25_laundry2_zpstybp0ybv.jpg

And with the hardwood top almost done:

2015-07-25_laundry3_zps0sx84qfk.jpg

Oh, yeah .... he also installed the top cabinet there in the bathroom :)

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Today I installed the last upper cabinet in the kitchen, the one that will be above the fridge and in-between the 2 pantries, and I also secured the left pantry which had been just standing there so far:

2015-07-26_kitchen_zps9kbtgp2x.jpg

I didn't finish installing the hardwood in the living room yet, since a couple other things more pressing had to be done, especially today being the last day that my brother-in-law was gonna be there to help.

So after doing that cabinet and pantry, and after he hung some doors and trimmed more windows, we went outside for him to have a look at the sky light in the sunroom ceiling, since we had a small leak from the fkn thing recently ... he ended up caulking a few areas, but he didn't really see anything in particular that would've caused the leak.
Hopefully his caulking does the trick.

2015-07-26_Jamie-skylight1_zpsqwiqb81c.jpg

The man is fearless ... I hated the idea of getting up on the roof off the ladder, he jumped up there like it was nothing and started walking all over my roof, lol

2015-07-26_Jamie-roof1_zpss0fcsghn.jpg

As it turns out, the chimney is made out of metal, not brick, and we already knew it was fake since there's no fireplace or wood-burning stove in the house (anymore) ... I really just wish that the previous owner had paid the few extra hundred to have had it taken out completely when they re-roofed last year.

While he was on the roof though, he took a few minutes to also clean the gutters and pressure-hose them so they'd actually drain properly:

2015-07-26_Jamie-roof3_zpsdzgvs1q1.jpg

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
That's not a very steep pitch on the roof, not a big deal to walk around up there. Most northern roofs are stupid steep to prevent snow buildup, those are the tough ones to walk on. One slip and you're going over the edge!

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
That's not a very steep pitch on the roof, not a big deal to walk around up there. Most northern roofs are stupid steep to prevent snow buildup, those are the tough ones to walk on. One slip and you're going over the edge!

I'm not a fan of heights and the way the roof was bowing down as he was walking on the sunroom roof, I wasn't gonna jump up there anytime soon.

That's something that will have to be looked at more in-depth when we re-roof in a few years. At that point the skylight might finally go away too ...

Tomorrow is the big move-in day.

I'm packing stuff up here now, to move there tomorrow, gonna head over early to bring a load of stuff and meet the electrician early, as he's coming back for hopefully the last time.

Tomorrow night we may be still sleeping here, or we might have our first night at the new house, we'll see how the electrical work goes and how the move goes

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Good luck! Took me 6 weeks to move and I'm still not settled in. I couldn't imagine trying to do it in one or two days.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Well, about 4 trips with the Tundra and 3 with the Forester, we have the beds left to bring over, the Living Room TV, the TV stand, and a few small things.

In the morning I'll bring over a bunch of stuff with the truck, let the electrician in for the last time, and wait for the new fridge and chest freezer delivery, then get back to moving stuff.

Tomorrow evening the buyer for the GF's place has to come by for their walk-through before the closing day, so we have tomorrow morning and early afternoon to finish the move and clean the place.

We still don't have a usable shower in the new house, so we'll shower in the old place tomorrow then I'll have to get right back to working on the bathroom shower tile in the new place.

Meanwhile, today the electrician came back and wired up a few more new switches, most of the generator wiring, and installed the new sunroom ceiling fan and the new pendant lights in the sunroom/dining room and above the sink.

2015-07-27_lights1_zpspf0i3gmi.jpg

2015-07-27_lights2_zps8ywv2lzu.jpg

2015-07-27_lights3_zps0kwz16lm.jpg

I still have 2 rows of hardwood left to install in the living room, a whole bunch of new wall-base trim to do, all the cabinet doors need to be installed, all the drawer fronts need to be installed, we still need a whole bunch of new switch/outlet plates/covers, we still need to paint the stairs and the trim there, all the trim needs another coat after the nail holes are filled-in and all the trim seams are caulked, all the closets still need new lights installed, we have yet to even order them, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things, besides the bathroom that still needs a bunch of tile work and a new mirror.

Oh, yeah, the closets still need shelves and other ways to hang clothes in them.

Good times ......

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Gabe,

This picture shows the quality of your work which as I said before is simply "Outstanding".

You guys have a beautiful home and something to be proud of for years to come.

2015-07-27_lights3_zps0kwz16lm.jpg

Terry

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
Well, about 4 trips with the Tundra and 3 with the Forester, we have the beds left to bring over, the Living Room TV, the TV stand, and a few small things.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. A FEW SMALL THINGS. HAHAHAHA.

Good luck with that.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. A FEW SMALL THINGS. HAHAHAHA.

Good luck with that.

Thanks ?

We really only have 2 boxes of toiletries left to bring over, besides the beds, TV, and TV stand.

Then time to clean up the place, shower, and leave

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks ?

We really only have 2 boxes of toiletries left to bring over, besides the beds, TV, and TV stand.

Then time to clean up the place, shower, and leave

Ha. You're welcome. The little stuff is always what has killed us in the last few moves. Seems like it's a few small items, turns out you need a dump truck to move it all. BLACK-MACHINE just went through the same thing.

Pro-tip: Buy a Groupon for a cleaning crew to clean the place. $100 VERY well spent to not have to worry about the cleanup, and the new owners will very much appreciate it.

Congrats on getting it all wrapped up! I know it's been a journey.

BLACK-MACHINE

living my 2nd child hood
Reaction score
Ha. You're welcome. The little stuff is always what has killed us in the last few moves. Seems like it's a few small items, turns out you need a dump truck to move it all. BLACK-MACHINE just went through the same thing.

Pro-tip: Buy a Groupon for a cleaning crew to clean the place. $100 VERY well spent to not have to worry about the cleanup, and the new owners will very much appreciate it.

Congrats on getting it all wrapped up! I know it's been a journey.

hey leave me out of this, i've been drinking my way to recovery and now the state of FL is fucking with me about the VIN on the car.lol

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Well, we're moved in.
Two and a half days of non-stop work in 90-degree humid weather, but it's done.
Last night was the first night in the new house, the cats are freaked out about being in a new place, construction is still kinda going on, trim still needs to be installed on baseboard, I just finished the hardwood, moving on to the shower tile, which is kind of a cluster fuck ... the tile around the shower cubby needs to be redone, and I still need to install the till at the bottom and top of the walls, plus a bit of the glass mosaic tile.
I need to finish this SOON since we need to take showers, lol ...

Yesterday we got our new fridge and our new chest freezer delivered/installed, and I paid the guys a few bucks to also install/hook up the dishwasher and the washer/dryer machines, so at least all those things are working.

As far as pics, I have a few more to upload, but the internet isn't working here yet, and the mobile hotspot on my phone has been shit.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Finally got my Mobile Hotspot working on my laptop via my phone (Comcast coming tomorrow to install the cable).

Got the new fridge delivered yesterday:

2015-07-28_fridge1_zpsnvy0ozih.jpg

2015-07-28_fridge2_zpsfxq0o5qf.jpg

And had the guys move the washer/dryer from the basement to the new spot in the bathroom, and they also hooked the machines up:

2015-07-28_laundry_zps2cmsfd5p.jpg

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
I dig the kitchen more every time you post an update. It is sleek, modern, and simple!

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I dig the kitchen more every time you post an update. It is sleek, modern, and simple!

Then you'll really like this update.

We hung most of the cabinet doors and installed all the drawer fronts this morning:

2015-07-31_kitchen_zps1k8oa8fp.jpg

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
Looks good! I don't personally love the red wall, but the cabinets look great. You're almost there, man! What are your plans for drawer pulls? Or are you just keeping them without?

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Looks good! I don't personally love the red wall, but the cabinets look great. You're almost there, man! What are your plans for drawer pulls? Or are you just keeping them without?

Thanks and no, we're not leaving them blank, we just haven't found a set of pulls that we liked enough. We know the style we're looking for, but there's about 479 different looks within just that one style, and then different sizes too .... so, we're working on it :)

Yesterday I got back to working on the shower tile, finished installing all the smaller pieces along the bottom (right above the tub), and also installed the pieces of floor tile that we reserved for the front of the laundry pedestal:

2015-07-31_laundry_zpsascrrada.jpg

2015-07-31_tub_zpsu3rsgprd.jpg

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
Check out Overstock.com for cabinet pulls. I was able to do my whole house for around $120, it was insane lol. Ended up saving me nearly $200 so it worked out quite nicely and would recommend you check it out.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back