New to Mustangs

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
How much is the 4.0L your looking at?

4.0 isn't a good engine. If you need to do timing chains the motor needs pulled as there backwards and at the rear of the block. They do have timing chain issues with to the guides breaking. The 4.0L MPG isn't that great especially comparing horsepower vs MPG. If you need a V6 I would go to the Camaro and get the 3.6L if you can't afford a 3.7L mustang. Even the Charger/ Challenger 3.5L of that time sucks and stay away from.

4.0L sucks because it dates back basically to the 70s and was ment to be a truck engine. Not a car engine. With very little changes besides fuel injection added it's an engine designed 30 years ago and Ford used it as a band aid to get by as everyone was tired of the 3.8L V6 mustang eating head gaskets!

Bad Horsie

Reaction score
Try to be patient and look for a 08 GT with a build date later than 11/07. I could be off by the date a little. this is when they improved the heads with the friendly spark plug design. I love mine. and only added a CAI,Tune,Magnapak axle back exhaust...… drive both and decide for yourself. My neighbor has a 07 V6 that I work on. decent car but I like the V8 better.....

testcase

Reaction score
I've got both a v6 auto and a gt stick both 2008.
The v6 is a fun car, actually feels more balanced than the GT in corners.
Is it the fastest out there? No..
But then the GT isn't either, not even in my own driveway for that matter.
Get the V6 and build to suit you with that in mind. Put in some 3.73 gears and positive or swap in a gt 8.8, that's the route I went that was actually cheaper than building the 7.5.
Just my thoughts

Otha Starkey

Reaction score
Here is my 09 V6/automatic vert. I also wanted to do a few upgrades, so motor wise I have done a BBK 70mm throttle body, BBK cold air intake, hotter coil pack and a Superchips Flashpaq 92 octane tune. Have not had it dyno'd but I can feel much better response and fuel economy has upped a couple of MPG. Also went with a Pypes axle back muffler. Suspension has been upgraded with Eibach 1.5" lowering springs all around, Slotted and drilled rotors and ceramic pads. Upgraded the wheels to 18"x 8.5". Next upgrade will be some 3.73 gears and true dual exhaust. May not be quite as fast straight line as a V8, but it is a great canyon carver.DSCF4682 (1).JPG

Torkair

Reaction score
Got the car for $4200, needs some love though. It's gonna be my DD for college and work and will be 1000x better than the clapped out Grand Marquis I've been driving. While the Ranchero is a riot to drive, 6 mpg does tend to make my wallet cry.

I was thinking that once I finish school and get a job that actually pays a living wage I'd see about doing a 3.7 swap and sticking the TT ecoboost goodies onto it. This'll probably require a complete drive train swap, but I like to plan things out well in advamce.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Got the car for $4200, needs some love though. It's gonna be my DD for college and work and will be 1000x better than the clapped out Grand Marquis I've been driving. While the Ranchero is a riot to drive, 6 mpg does tend to make my wallet cry.

I was thinking that once I finish school and get a job that actually pays a living wage I'd see about doing a 3.7 swap and sticking the TT ecoboost goodies onto it. This'll probably require a complete drive train swap, but I like to plan things out well in advamce.

That sounds just about the same amount of work and cost as a 5.0 coyote swap. Just sayin' :Big Laugh:

As for the 4.0, yes, some had timing chain issues. But if yours runs good, and has no unusual noises, then you are fine. Just change the oil regularly, and drive it. Mine had over 110,000 on it when I pulled it for the swap. Had absolutely no issues with it. I sold the engine on craigslist, and the guy sent me a text after he installed it thanking me for a great engine. So they are not as bad as ppl say.

Last edited:

stang_gang

forum member
Reaction score

OR you could buy a totaled out gt from copart (for around 2k or less) and swap the engine, trans, and diff in and youd have a mustang gt for around 6200

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back