New York State Emmissions Inspection

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

For anyone who is in NYS and cares, the KB tune passes the new inspectino with flying colors, no cats, no rear o2 sensors, ARH longtube headers and a whole host of other stuff haha

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

For anyone who is in NYS and cares, the KB tune passes the new inspectino with flying colors, no cats, no rear o2 sensors, ARH longtube headers and a whole host of other stuff haha

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am guessing that's an OBDII only test?

If it were an OBDII test only it would have failed. They scan for sensors being turned off. Or at least they do in Texas.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If it were an OBDII test only it would have failed. They scan for sensors being turned off. Or at least they do in Texas.
Not here - checklist just says connect and scan for codes... I suppose it can be "interpreted", but I doubt most would bother unless they saw something missing...

However, there is a "visual inspection" which checks for required emissions (present and not tampered with)...

My various conversations with the state EPA suggest that they are more interested in the "spirit" of the law than the "letter" - so replaced, but functional cats generally would pass, but you may have to take a sniffer test if someone in the process wants to get anal...

I am expecting (though not looking forward to) this all to get much more uniform, federal and worse (like everything centralized and federalized) given the recent Supreme court...

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
hawg you are wrong. at least in ny you are. it is a obdII test only. and it passed. in NYS 96 and older cars still undergo emmissions testing on a dyno whereas the car is run from varying speeds of 0-60mph over a 2 mile period using tail pipe sniffers, oil temp sensors, rpm sensors ect. on 97+ cars all you do now other than the typica saftey inspection (horn lights ect) is plug into the OBDII port. when you start the car the check engine light must come on then immediately go out. if it does, you pass. i tried this after uplaoding a tune and it did not finish the test as it did not find the ready codes that the car had been driven enough miles. after a trip to atlantic city and back i reran the test and it passed with no issues.

now your supposed to visually inspect for cats so i taped a picture of a kitten to my headers lol

Last edited:

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
hawg you are wrong.
That felt good didn't it.
That's why I said "or at least the do in Texas".
They run a full scan against the vehicle and specifically check for sensors that are turned off. There have been a whole bunch of people crying about not passing because they had O2 sensors disabled in their tune.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That felt good didn't it.
That's why I said "or at least the do in Texas".
They run a full scan against the vehicle and specifically check for sensors that are turned off.
That's ok - Hillary is going to hear his car and put the smack down on him...

We are going to need a new bumper sticker after the next election:

"They can have my V8 when they pry it from my cold dead hands"

Larry_H

Custom Motors Built
Reaction score
IF the Dems get total control, if you don't have a hydrogen production system in your garage, you're gonna have to walk to work....They seem to be more concerned about the quality of the air than they are about seeing to it that everyone has medical care, and food, and shelter...But they sure want you to have a job so you can pay taxes to pay for the programs that will stop you from being able to get to work to pay taxes...ahhhh!

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
yea hawg it felt really good. somehow i missed the texas part.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
But they sure want you to have a job so you can pay taxes to pay for the programs that will stop you from being able to get to work to pay taxes...ahhhh!
My view is that everyone who doesn't feel the need for speed should drive the most efficient car possible to offset my abuse of the air... Its just irresponsible for them to drive anything that gets less than 90mpg when they don't care how fast they accelerate...

What are they thinking? Someone has to offset my greenhouse gasses!

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My view is that everyone who doesn't feel the need for speed should drive the most efficient car possible to offset my abuse of the air... Its just irresponsible for them to drive anything that gets less than 90mpg when they don't care how fast they accelerate...

hahaha hell yea lol:clap:

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

+1 :beerdrink:

matt texass

Reaction score
Dam looks like im gonna have to turn my rear 02's back on when i go to get inspected

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back