Old SCT tuner advice needed

Reaction score
I had to update to the SCT X4 but now my tuner is constantly telling me to get updates. What a pain in the ass.

Laga

Reaction score
I had to update to the SCT X4 but now my tuner is constantly telling me to get updates. What a pain in the ass.
Don’t do it. Most of the updates are for different models of vehicles and not needed. Updates have been known to screw things up.

lenko

Reaction score
Still using my SCT X Cal 2 tuner that I bought in 2006. One time it stopped working so I took it apart and spotted a broken wire and soldered t. Works like a charm. Kept all my various tunes and loading programs on a separate hard drive in case I ever need them. Never did find need to update this original tuner.

Last edited:

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I know it's not a 4.6, but I still use my SCT X3 and SCT Livewire on my laptop with AM "tunes for life" as well. I did have to update each, but both updated and work. Although I find Livewire on my computer cumbersome and very slow. I don't like how it's designed or works at all.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Just want to add to loading tunes with what software.
There can be two different files for tunes.
.mtf file, unencrypted tune file, can only load with SCT TUNING software ONLY.
.cef file. This is the version that gets emailed to you. And you load it with the "decice updater" software ONLY. This file will not open in tuning software and is encrypted.
You cannot pull tunes off of an X4, and load it to a different device. Period.
Most will be using .cef files unless you tune your own. These are locked to your X4 serial number, and can only load onto that one device.
Total PITA IMO, but this is all about protection if intellectual property.

GriffX

Reaction score
FYI: I use a SCT 2 device and it is working with Win 10 64bit without problems.

ZwookY

Reaction score
Still using my SCT X Cal 2 tuner that I bought in 2006. One time it stopped working so I took it apart and spotted a broken wire and soldered t. Works like a charm. Kept all my various tunes and loading programs on a separate hard drive in case I ever need them. Never did find need to update this original tuner.
I have the same unit for my 05 but I've lost all my software. Any chance you can help me out? Looking for the Extreme Tune software specifically.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I have the same unit for my 05 but I've lost all my software. Any chance you can help me out? Looking for the Extreme Tune software specifically.

What is the Extreme Tune software? Only programs I know for SCT is Pro Racer.

hammeron

forum member
Reaction score

I have an extremely old version, if you absolutely must have it, I will find a way to get it to you.

The LiveLoad software does the same thing as far as I remember, and is much better product.

View media item 8625View media item 8624

ZwookY

Reaction score
What is the Extreme Tune software? Only programs I know for SCT is Pro Racer.
From what I remember, you can use it to change parts of your tune. I'm looking to use it for tire size, O2 sensors, etc.

ZwookY

Reaction score
I have an extremely old version, if you absolutely must have it, I will find a way to get it to you.

The LiveLoad software does the same thing as far as I remember, and is much better product.

View media item 8625View media item 8624
I don't have permission to view media for some reason so I can't download your ET software.
Can you maybe share on Google Drive or something like that?

07 Boss

Reaction score
From what I remember, you can use it to change parts of your tune. I'm looking to use it for tire size, O2 sensors, etc.

I've always been able to do that with most of my tunes. Some tunes are locked or protected and those functions are locked out for the user, but only my Lund tunes was I not able to change those parameters.

laverda_jota

Reaction score
Hello again. I thought I should provide an update to the old software saga. I was lucky enough to get through to a very helpful guy at SCT and we worked through the steps that led to tunes be loaded on the handheld tuner successfully. The old 'updater' software was no longer functional and a software re-install helped, though it is a different version than what I had ... but is backward compatible. Though as noted above the update option suggested can be ignored. At this point part of the problem was my interpretation of the tuners info being displayed. I had thought after uploading the latest tunes the handheld would display those tunes, not true. The handheld displays the last tune uploaded to the car. The laptop software and how it displays the tunes confirms that the tunes exist on the handheld. Not intuitive but maybe it is my old brain.

Just wanted to say thanks to all for the ideas and I am sure I will be back with some other question at some point.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Its not just you. SCT software kinda sucks. lol And I use their tuning software. lol
It is not intuitive at all. But it does work well, once you get used to it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back