Old SCT tuner advice needed

laverda_jota

Reaction score
Hello,
It is a bit of story so please bare with me. Approx. 10yrs ago I purchased a 2007 GT convertible with a 5 speed and applied a few of the usual mods. One being a series 3 JLT CAI, and the ‘tunes for life’ option. The device used to upload tunes was a SCT SF3 tuner. Life got in the way and I was forced to sell. This year I turned 60 and my loving wife and daughter arranged to have the GT purchased and returned to me! I am lucky. Now the riddle. The SCT SF3 device is no longer supported and the old laptop that had the SCT software no longer functions properly, updates fail, cannot move tunes to the tuner, etc. I would like to go back to a less edgy tune @ 87 octane but cannot. I still have the original car tune and wondered what to do. The current tune is what Bama called a V2 91 performance. I also have all of the tunes used over the years.

I am willing to buy another more modern tuning device but want to retain the JLT CAI.

Any thoughts about the best next step? I am not that interested an extracting every HP available and just want a smooth, fun tune for rowing gears on Sunday. No strip, autocross etc planned.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Sadly it sounds like you need to start the process over with the new vehicle. Just have the tune generated for the mods you have.

Laga

Reaction score
I had a similar situation a couple of years ago with my 05 and it’s original SCT tuner. I was not able to update it and wound up getting a SCT 4. I think you will have to do the same. Once you do, have Lito tune the car. It will run better than it ever did with the Bama tune. You’ll be able to get multiple tunes for various power and octane levels all for one price. Well worth it.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Hopefully you can still upload your original stock tune to the ECU so I suggest you:

1. Buy an SCT X4 tuner from Brenspeed with their 87, 91, and 93 octane tunes for the JLT 3 CAI already loaded onto the device.

2. Use your SCT SF3 to upload the stock tune to the ECU.

3. Upload one of the Brenspeed tunes to the ECU with your SCT X4. The original stock tune file will then be saved in this device and the SCT SF3 will become redundant.

4. Back up the stock tune plus the Brenspeed tunes onto another storage medium in case the X4 decides one day to go poo poo.

laverda_jota

Reaction score
I knew I could count on the forum! Thanks very much for the help and now I have a plan of action. Much appreciated [emoji1303]

laverda_jota

Reaction score
Apologies one final question. Can I run the stock tune with the CAI for a short period of time if I drive cautiously? Thanks again.

Worried it would be running too lean.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Apologies one final question. Can I run the stock tune with the CAI for a short period of time if I drive cautiously? Thanks again.

Worried it would be running too lean.

Probably run poorly and will most likely turn a Check Engine Light On

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
is it the exact same car you sold?

I take it you did not "return to stock" before you sold it and kept the SCT in hand and the car left with the modified tune?

laverda_jota

Reaction score
Yes. The exact same car and came back with the tune I had uploaded and the same tuner that was married in the trunk. It was a relative who bought the car and made no changes at all. My goal was to drop the tune to 87 and not much else, but then ran into the usual tech obsolescence. Thx for the comments.

… in addition I believe the relative received a notice from Ford about a recall and had the airbag issues addressed at the dealer and I did not know till recently that this had happened. Might be bad if a PCM mod was applied. Not sure. Thx very much.

Last edited by a moderator:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So the SCT only has The 91 rune loaded on it?

What’s wrong with the laptop?

laverda_jota

Reaction score
Correct, SCT has the v2-91p tune on board and the laptop, though dated works ok. It took awhile but I was successful with OS updates et al (I am a multi decade programmer by trade). The SCT software tries to update and I receive an error message that the update file size does not match. It does as I checked the byte size, etc. At that point the file transfer does not complete and I am stuck.

Loaded the SW on a current well spec’d laptop and received the same errors.

Likely a start from fresh if possible. Thx for the help guys, and listening.

BirdMan65

Reaction score
I made a 4" CAI using stock sensor??Maf?? and SC3 tune from American Muscle about 10 years ago. Still have the 06GT auto 100,000 miles now. I bought 89 and 91 tunes using a BBK 62mm throttle body. Runs good on 91 tune w/+2* added timing.
Do you want or can use any of my tunes? If so I can email them to you. Dale

laverda_jota

Reaction score
I appreciate the offer Dale but I have all my tunes saved, but cannot transfer to the tuner due to the SW problems. The msg states the transfer occurred to the handheld but when I review the device only the 91 tunes is visible. I thought the tuner could hold more than one tune. Incorrect?

BirdMan65

Reaction score
On my saved SCT junk I have ' Jungo Device Updater, sct drivers V1011. What is SW? I haven't used this stuff since 2013

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the offer Dale but I have all my tunes saved, but cannot transfer to the tuner due to the SW problems. The msg states the transfer occurred to the handheld but when I review the device only the 91 tunes is visible. I thought the tuner could hold more than one tune. Incorrect?

IIRC, it will save 3 tunes on it.

laverda_jota

Reaction score
On my saved SCT junk I have ' Jungo Device Updater, sct drivers V1011. What is SW? I haven't used this stuff since 2013

SW = software (apologies IT acronyms)

I have the SCT program installed on an old Dell laptop, when the app launches it wants to update, and you watch the file download to the end and then it errors out. I can go through the steps to ‘send’ the tune to the handheld, which appear to complete correctly but the files do not show up. I am out of town till Friday but will give it another go when I get home. Thx for the comments [emoji1303]

I have sent questions to Brenspeed, American Muscle and ‘Lito’ to see what can be offered up as a solution.

Ron Rabie

Reaction score
I have read most of this thread. I have a 2013 gt that had the SCT BAMA tuner and a few tunes. I went through American Muscle for a "Tunes for Life" program and requested a special tune. I wanted all of my timing tapes set back an effective single degree in timing. This to run nitrous at my altitude of 6,000 feet. Now I will discuss this with anyone who is interested separately but the moral of the story is that talking to American Muscle and SCT many times, no solution was forthcoming even though the device had an option for adjusting timing, it would not do it. My solution was to restore the stock tune, ditch BAMA and SCT and go with HP tuners. With this I have created 2 tunes, on for my altitude and one for sea level for running up to a 175 hp nitrous shot. This all works beautifully and I now have a 7500 rpm redline screaming 5.0 with 116,000 miles on it. HP is not cheap and you have to study your cars engine control system to tune it safely but you can get exactly what you want within the available engine parameters. Good luck.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I believe you can just buy a newer tuner and use the current tune in the car as the stock tune. When I switched from Diablo to SCT, the first time I hooked up the SCT tuner I used the custom diablo tune as my stock tune.

Back