One More #8 Kids!

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
It would still be pretty easy to void the powertrain warranty imo. A motor tuned with added spark timing, modified wot lambda, vct changed to hold more compression, and modified knock sensor tables detonates a piston causing catastrophic failure. It would be hard to prove that was a fault of Ford.

normally yes, but how do you tell one guy with a tune that we wont fix your car even though there are stock ones having the exact same problem.. now if it were different pistons getting hosed then I think they could skip by it.. but the same one over and over.. remember, in the long run Ford has to prove it was the tune. In front of a judge looking at the same issue with tuned and non tune cars I think tie will go to the runner(customer). Challenging Ford for something that cost a few hundred or a thousand might be a big waste of time.. but for 7K and up.. we might see some lawsuits..

and I will be sitting in my 3v eating :popcorneat:

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
normally yes, but how do you tell one guy with a tune that we wont fix your car even though there are stock ones having the exact same problem.. now if it were different pistons getting hosed then I think they could skip by it.. but the same one over and over.. remember, in the long run Ford has to prove it was the tune. In front of a judge looking at the same issue with tuned and non tune cars I think tie will go to the runner(customer). Challenging Ford for something that cost a few hundred or a thousand might be a big waste of time.. but for 7K and up.. we might see some lawsuits..

Actually the customer has to prove it WASN'T.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

I feel bad for those who have been affected. I'm going to make some popcorn myself.

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
Just a curious question here.

Why does it seem that no one can believe that a stock engine will fail? Its it cause no one really wants to believe it, or am i missing something?

I have been following all of these threads from day one. I dont have a dog in this fight, and honestly i could care less since my car is running perfect. I also know if my engine fails, ill be footing the bill.

The previous bigfoot analogy was spot on, lots of stories so far, but little factual documentation. I'm certainly no pro tuner, I just work on my own stuff and for people I know personally, there are people who should be a lot better than me. I do things people say not to do, like running individual cylinder knock control instead of global, and have been since the day after I got the car, nearly 15 months ago. I've beat the hell out of this thing in what has been a brutal summer down here and haven't hurt it. I even ran it in the Texas mile to 160MPH with a 4.30 gear, spending a whole lot of time above 7k RPM compared to any car that just runs the 1/4. Through a friend that works at a dealership I've used his login to the Ford internal technician forums and used every keyword I can think of trying to find a discussion there about a a broken coyote. I've never been able to find one. A few on the MT82, but not many. I don't at all try to imply that there aren't some sort of failures going on out there, but there is absolutely zero information to point to the pandemic that some people seem to think there is.

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I dont buy the stock one. Not saying you are lying or making shit up. I just dont believe it.

That is what I was told. I know the owner of the car and he had nothing done to it.

Sorry but with the piston still in the bore, no one is looking at the side of it.

You may not want to be lumped in with the previous stories, but that is exactly what this is. No first hand information, no pictures, no teardown. Now maybe be that will change if the car gets torn down going forward as you've indicated, but right now this is a bunch of speculation.

Reading Comprehension owns you... "TOP SIDE"...no where did I say they looked at the side of the piston. It isn't my car and I did not need to take pictures for any reason. The tuned car will have the motor torn down and rebuilt. The stock tune car is getting a complete motor and I do not believe they were tearing it down. He mentioned it being shipped back to Ford. Also standing there and looking through the scope kind of gives me a little first hand information. I am not speculating anything as I looked at it.

Are you certain it was #8?

Rear Cylinder on Driver's Side.

Here is the place they are at.

http://terrebonnemotorco.dealerconnection.com/?lang=en

Give them a call and see if they will tell you anything. They are a very high volume Ford Dealer in Louisiana and may not. I don't know so someone give it a shot and see what they say.

I have no reason to make anything up. Talk to the Service Manager and see if he will tell you.

Last edited:

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
That is what I was told. I know the owner of the car and he had nothing done to it.

Reading Comprehension owns you... "TOP SIDE"...no where did I say they looked at the side of the piston. It isn't my car and I did not need to take pictures for any reason. The tuned car will have the motor torn down and rebuilt. The stock tune car is getting a complete motor and I do not believe they were tearing it down. He mentioned it being shipped back to Ford. Also standing there and looking through the scope kind of gives me a little first hand information. I am not speculating anything as I looked at it.

Rear Cylinder on Driver's Side.

Here is the place they are at.

http://terrebonnemotorco.dealerconnection.com/?lang=en

Give them a call and see if they will tell you anything. They are a very high volume Ford Dealer in Louisiana and may not. I don't know so someone give it a shot and see what they say.

I have no reason to make anything up. Talk to the Service Manager and see if he will tell you.

This is what happens when the masses ask a question and someone tries to share . This guy knows someone and shared and gets blasted . Good job guys ! I guess we should all be quite and blame it on the BAMA TSB! LOL

lostsoul

Reaction score
Actually the customer has to prove it WASN'T.

This has been covered 100s of times here. You think a judge wont throw the book at Ford and make Ford pay "IF" the stock cars are having the same issues as tuned ones? haha

If this is true and other info points to this issue on stock stangs this WILL get ugly.. not to mention all the crap people have given tuners

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
This has been covered 100s of times here. You think a judge wont throw the book at Ford and make Ford pay "IF" the stock cars are having the same issues as tuned ones? haha

If this is true and other info points to this issue on stock stangs this WILL get ugly.. not to mention all the crap people have given tuners

That's assuming someone is dumb enough to go to court, with proof that their car was modded, hoping for a verdict to go their way. Lawsuit would cost more than the engine.

One of us actually deals with Ford warranty claims in our profession, and I have NEVER seen a modded car get an affected part covered. It's too easy to say "does increased ignition timing cause more heat?" and "does a leaner AFR cause more heat?" BOTH of which an aftermarket tune will do.

Factory failures or not, the manufacturer absolutely WILL NOT be found liable on a modded car.

haha

lostsoul

Reaction score
Factory failures or not, the manufacturer absolutely WILL NOT be found liable on a modded car.

haha

I dont know how to look up court cases with modded cars, but I did have Mitsubishi put a new engine in my gsx many years ago because my car had crank walk. They tried to deny me also because of my mods, but after agruing with them and threatening to get a lawyer involved and the big kicker, showing them they had a reputation for crank walk even stock they finally caved. People with mods have won before, it all depends how far one wants to go.

What your saying goes against the Magnason act completely.

If judges can throw away the votes of millions that said no to gay marriage. Or one that now allows criminals to sue the state for money because of conditions.. then you think they will always side with a dealer in all cases..

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
What your saying goes against the Magnason act completely.

What I'm saying goes with the real world completely.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a guy getting his car fixed for free if he can. My point is the customer doesn't decide if the warranty claim is voided or not, the mfr does. It's then up to the customer to have that decision overturned somehow.

PS - it's not the DEALER, it's the MANUFACTURER.

linnE

forum member
Reaction score
Has there been any factual documentation from Ford? Or are we still getting 2nd and 3rd hand speculative accounts about vehicles in question?

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
all 2nd and thirds hand speculation. This is my buddies car, modified wit ha tune and exhaust, and the #8 issue. Fords results here:

royalford.jpg

JJ@WMS

forum member
Reaction score
Take it from someone who has been in a "voided warranty" situation with one of the big three makers a few years ago. The manufacturer has to prove that the modification caused the failure, not the other way around.

Voiding your powertrain warranty is the manufacturers first step to push you to the side in hopes that you will either customer pay the repair or go away forever, however you do have options and tools at your disposal, all you have to do is read the owners manual.

All manufacturers have agreed to binding arbitration via the BBB when problems like this arise and they have to prove to an unbiased arbitrator(sp) that the reason for the failure was the fact that you modded the vehicle. If the arbitrator decides in your favor then your warranty gets reinstated and the vehicle gets repaired and 90% of the time they do rule in your favor.

Most people dont know enough or follow thru long enough to get to the point where they are sitting at a table with the manufacturer on one end, you on another and the unbiased arbitrator on another. They keep all this information as secret as possible but it is true and I have been there before.

Mod your car and you take your chances for sure but know that if you want to play the game, the game is out there for you to play.

JJ

lostsoul

Reaction score
Take it from someone who has been in a "voided warranty" situation with one of the big three makers a few years ago. The manufacturer has to prove that the modification caused the failure, not the other way around.

That was my point. pacettr is right to a point where they can just void it and say whatever.. its up then to the person what to do next. If they go to court though I would think the judge would want the mfg or dealer to then prove the mods caused the issue. Even then the mfg will most likely have a better hand. But if there is a few cases of stock cars having the exact same issues then I dont think they will gate away with it..

someones got to have contact with main ford engineers to see if there are cases being hidden

DIB5.0

forum member
Reaction score
I seen him posting on AFM and im sure he said he had a Lund tune.

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
KillerKandy or RedCandy quit posting here about tuning. Please for the love of god!

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
I just do not understand why forum members would post there problems and refuse to give details. It does not help anyone, and cause others to distrust the posters. When people are asked to post up on the problem, only a few have given details and proof. From what i can tell, there have only been around 15 cars with #8 failures. This whole thing started with a couple Dbags, 2 in Texas and 1 in VA, that tried to get there cars repaired under warranty after they D-modded them.( these cars were beat on for up to 6 mouths before failing)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back