possible to reduce idle rpm '08 Bullitt

mykonos

Reaction score
Have an '08 Bullitt....removed stock mufflers, welded in a pair of Edelbrock "street rod" muffs immediately behind H pipe....with 6"x 18" tips. Would sound better with decreased idle RPM.
Possible?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Possible yes, if the car is otherwise stock, probably not a wise choice.

you’ll need a handheld tuner and tune to change the idle

mykonos

Reaction score
First of all....i HATE the rear muffler sound. I removed my '08 Bullitt exhaust system from the H pipe back.
I welded on a pair of Edelbrock Street Mufflers (obsolete now)to the H pipe outlet. Ran 2-1/2 inch exhaust pipes to the rear.....connected a pair of tips that measure 6" diameter...18" long. Sounds awesome....uniqean "old school" setup. A slower idle would yield a deeper tone. Unique sound. Thanks for asking....

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Idle is computer controlled at about 800rpm if I remember correctly. You might be able to get away with 750 or so but any lower and it will stumble and stall out. If your issue is the exhaust sound then fox the exhaust. Don't fuck with the engine tuning (unless you are getting an actual tune).

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
Any pictures of your setup? Curious how you crammed mufflers right after the H..

LikeabossTM

forum member
Reaction score
Also, you need to keep it near stock for sufficient oiling at idle, especially as the oil pump gears wear with higher mileage.
I’d be leery of getting below 750 rpm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is a great point, you're not just lowering the idle, you're lowering the RPM for any system associated with and relying on the designed engine idle speed

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
The issue is probably those 6” diesel exhaust tips.

Just to piggyback off what others have said, you’ll have issues with things like power steering, charging and coolant flow at idle. These systems were designed to run at the stock rpm. I have underdrive pullies on my 00 Gt, which essentially do the same thing, and I have issues with power steering and brakes at low engine speeds. Just something to consider.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
6" diameter tips, WTF ?? Pse show us a pix of these 6" diam tips. This has gotta be a 1st.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Also, you need to keep it near stock for sufficient oiling at idle, especially as the oil pump gears wear with higher mileage.
I’d be leery of getting below 750 rpm

I'm late to the party, but this was my first thought. With the stock oil pressure gauge being fake, most guys don't have visibility on true oil pressure. But, for those dropping below 700 RPMs at idle, I bet oil pressure at idle, after the oil has gotten 200+ degrees on a hot day, is below 10 lbs on even a really healthy motor. Maybe that's inconsequential, but it would wig me out.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
My 2010 GT, bone stock, with the 5 speed automatic..... was 600 rpm idle, with car in 'drive'...and foot on the brake. They all did that. Since been increased to 750 rpm.

PonyDNA

Reaction score
Seems lame to lower idle just for sound. Idle speed like any engine tuning should give you some improvement in engine efficiency, reliability of idle under any and all operating conditions, hot cold snowing etc. and minimal emissions.

07 Boss

Reaction score
My 2010 GT, bone stock, with the 5 speed automatic..... was 600 rpm idle, with car in 'drive'...and foot on the brake. They all did that. Since been increased to 750 rpm.

It's been a little while since I've been in the tuner but I thought I had two idle speeds. One for in neutral/park and a lower one for when the transmission was engaged. I didn't ever think that much about it as I just figured it was to keep the fluid from heating up too fast sitting in gear and not moving. I could be completely wrong though.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
It's been a little while since I've been in the tuner but I thought I had two idle speeds. One for in neutral/park and a lower one for when the transmission was engaged. I didn't ever think that much about it as I just figured it was to keep the fluid from heating up too fast sitting in gear and not moving. I could be completely wrong though.

First I’ve ever heard of being able to set two idles.. would that be to raise the idle under load to maintain the same idle speed regardless of being in gear/park or to allow a lower idle in neutral than would be useable under load?

07 Boss

Reaction score
First I’ve ever heard of being able to set two idles.. would that be to raise the idle under load to maintain the same idle speed regardless of being in gear/park or to allow a lower idle in neutral than would be useable under load?

My mind is a little fuzzy on this (getting old) but I seem to remember back in my Diablo tuner days that there were two idle settings listed in the user adjustable parameters. I seem to remember the default idle in neutral at 750 and the idle in gear at 650. I think I set them both at 700 and never looked back. I've since moved on to SCT and HP so I can't be positive. I wonder if I have that old Diablo tuner hanging out in the dark depths of my garage? That was back in the day when Doug ran bama.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
My mind is a little fuzzy on this (getting old) but I seem to remember back in my Diablo tuner days that there were two idle settings listed in the user adjustable parameters. I seem to remember the default idle in neutral at 750 and the idle in gear at 650. I think I set them both at 700 and never looked back. I've since moved on to SCT and HP so I can't be positive. I wonder if I have that old Diablo tuner hanging out in the dark depths of my garage? That was back in the day when Doug ran bama.

IMG_0425.JPG
Straight out of HPTuners VCM Editor of a stock '05 Mustang GT PCM tune file....upper left corner. Same for all Spanish Oaks PCM's in all 05-10 GT's whether auto or manual.

07 Boss, your memory ain't that fuzzy..............
:)

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just disconnect a vacuum line and it will give you a fake cam lope as well.

Or just put in a fouled spark plug. Chances are you'll have 8 of them if you drop the idle speed enough.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back