possibly lost/seized the motor today

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i will either have to lower the kmemebr to the floor and figure out how to get the car high enough to slide it out or pull it with the trans, and that i dont think i have the room for, or the maneuverability to do with jsut myself.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
ive pulled the motor before Bruce, but i detatched it from the transmission first. I cant do that in this case since i cant spin the motor to decouple the flexplate and the converter

Forgot about your auto. Well crap.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
How much ceiling height and room in front of the car do you have ?

Attachments

• motor 3.jpg
    motor 3.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Dillon Dollar

forum member
Reaction score
Dont let the transmission scare you i used a cherry picker to remove my engine and transmission the the heads still atached just very carefully

HG6283

Granny Shifter
Reaction score
If the motor will not turn because a bearing seized, would it be possible to loosen or remove the bearing caps ??? At least enough to turn the crank and be able to remove the trans?

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Dont let the transmission scare you i used a cherry picker to remove my engine and transmission the the heads still atached just very carefully

I droped mine in by myself with the headers and all . Everything except the intake and the front plate on my crank support. With a small picker in the garage. I had to use a leveling divice and a jack under the car to catch and lift the trans after it was in the tunnel. If he has 6-8 ft in front of the car and an 8ft ceiling then it is possible.

Ron, here are a couple of pics of what I an talking about. I dont have one of the entire unit on the picker, but you get the idea. I had the bumper, bumper cover, and radiator ect out as well.

Here is the equipment.

motor3.jpg

Here is what I stuck in the bay. Less the intake and front plate on the crank support.

powerplant.jpg

Dillon Dollar

forum member
Reaction score
I droped mine in by myself with the headers and all . Everything except the intake and the front plate on my crank support. With a small picker in the garage. I had to use a leveling divice and a jack under the car to catch and lift the trans after it was in the tunnel. If he has 6-8 ft in front of the car and an 8ft ceiling then it is possible.

Ron, here are a couple of pics of what I an talking about. I dont have one of the entire unit on the picker, but you get the idea. I had the bumper, bumper cover, and radiator ect out as well.

Here is the equipment.

motor3.jpg

Here is what I stuck in the bay. Less the intake and front plate on the crank support.

powerplant.jpg

dam that motor looks sexy

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
Took the words right out of my mouth...that thing is sexy. Also 94tbird, I don't know u from Adam but im in new jersey, if you need help pulling it I would def give u a hand.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Took the words right out of my mouth...that thing is sexy. Also 94tbird, I don't know u from Adam but im in new jersey, if you need help pulling it I would def give u a hand.

Thats what I'm talking about! All the Jersey boys on here and Ron cant get help with the motor delete?

If I was closer that motor would be out for sure ! I may not know how to get my car on the road fast, but I can have the motor out and torn down in about 5-6 hrs by myself. In my garage of course though.(seems you said earier that driveway is a bitch) Good luck Ron!

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I'm just waiting on him to get another person to help. My offer to help has been on the table for a while but he'd like one other person to assist. My current issue is recent events at the track. I should be free on this Friday if you can get someone else to assist. Travel will suck on Black Friday but I'll deal with it.

My08Stang

One Bad Poster
Reaction score
I'm just waiting on him to get another person to help. My offer to help has been on the table for a while but he'd like one other person to assist. My current issue is recent events at the track. I should be free on this Friday if you can get someone else to assist. Travel will suck on Black Friday but I'll deal with it.

If it has to get done this Friday, and you have no one to help, text me :) I'm pretty much available anytime after this holiday weekend

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
If the motor will not turn because a bearing seized, would it be possible to loosen or remove the bearing caps ??? At least enough to turn the crank and be able to remove the trans?

I would try this, ^^^If you get the pan off and find its a rod bearing (where I'd be looking first), you can pull the plugs, take the rod cap(s) off, push the affected piston(s) to the top of the cylinder bore(s) and turn the crank to get the TC bolts out.
If it happens to be a main bearing, once you find the one siezed, pull that main cap, and then the crank should spin.

That way all the extra help won't be needed.

I know its a pain in the butt to pull the pan and lay on your back to pull the bottom end apart. But, you coulda had the whole engine removed piece by piece by now. lol

I wouldn't be able to stand it myself.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I would try this, ^^^If you get the pan off and find its a rod bearing (where I'd be looking first), you can pull the plugs, take the rod cap(s) off, push the affected piston(s) to the top of the cylinder bore(s) and turn the crank to get the TC bolts out.
If it happens to be a main bearing, once you find the one siezed, pull that main cap, and then the crank should spin.

I know its a pain in the butt to pull the pan and lay on your back to pull the bottom end apart. But, you coulda had the whole engine removed piece by piece by now. lol

The pc by pc option is really not that bad of an idea ! Just start tearing it down .

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If it has to get done this Friday, and you have no one to help, text me :) I'm pretty much available anytime after this holiday weekend

Thanks Bro

I am only 30 minutes away. I am down to help out if need be.

Thanks man. Ill get something organized soon hopefully. Id liek to get the damn thing out soon as Im moving, and would be a thousand times easier to push the car onto a trailer with no motor and trans in it.

My oil pan is already off so I could try this.

The pc by pc option is really not that bad of an idea ! Just start tearing it down .

I may give this a shot!

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well i pulled the 2 rearward main caps today. One bearing looks shot, the other looks ok to me. Even with both main caps removed, I still cannot spin the motor

Should I put these caps back, and take out others, leave these out and continue taking the rest out? Any suggestions?

Crank #4
IMG_20120318_142337.jpg

Bearing #4
IMG_20120318_142416.jpg

Crank#5
IMG_20120318_143215.jpg

Bearing #5
IMG_20120318_145006.jpg

Last edited:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Crank #3
IMG_20120318_153041.jpg

Bearing #3
IMG_20120318_152912.jpg

Crank #2
IMG_20120318_155756.jpg

Bearing #2
IMG_20120318_155934.jpg

Last edited:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I cant get to cap 1 due to the motor mounts blocking the side bolts. Most of the rods are in a position where I couldn't unbolt them so I didn't even try. Id maybe be able to get to 2, possibly 3 of them. plus i was getting tired, and i do not work smart tired.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back