possibly lost/seized the motor today

06Mach

forum member
Reaction score
I just finished this....wow.

Sorry to hear that.

I know how you feel, when I blew up my 89 on the Autobahn, I tore it down, and literally shed some tears. What didn't break or melt, was utterly destroyed....even cut deep into my cylinder walls....there was nothing to salvage....fire took out my wiring, tranny locked with the crank....
On top of that, 500 Euro towing fee home....

I feel you.

Hope this works out!

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ron unless you have a low ceiling in your garage it's not that hard to pull the engine and trans as one unit, with the car on jack stands. I pulled my first motor this way, you just need the normal ceiling height to get the picker high enough.

Earl

Weill it will be happening outside, so ceiling height is not an issue. I was HOPING to avoid fucking with the trans and fluid lines.

Bent crank snout or bent rod?

At this point, the most likely scenario. I also need to look closer at the heads, and see if maybe i dropped a valve or soemthing?

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
plugs were pulled 10 minutes after the motor failed. no damage to them, and no detonation , hell they werent even wet with coolant, oil, or anything.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
And looks like you have some damage to the no. 4 main bearing! I'd start at the cylinders on each side of that bearing! There was excessive friction at that point for some reason!! It may be a starting point!!

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
yup, but theres nothing else I can do until the motor is out. unfortunately that means trans has to come with it.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
yup, but theres nothing else I can do until the motor is out. unfortunately that means trans has to come with it.

Why not just pull a motor with the converter attached to it and leave the transmission in the car? I know you wouldn't wanna go back together this way but to get the motor out of the car to be done.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Why not just pull a motor with the converter attached to it and leave the transmission in the car? I know you wouldn't wanna go back together this way but to get the motor out of the car to be done.

because you can damage the transmission that way, something about the pump iirc

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
I just had my motor disconnected from all motor mounts sitting on a jack, and I'd bet that there is enough room in front of these engines, especially with the radiator out to move it forward enough to get it safely of the pump with the converter attached!! as long as you move it straight forward with very little lifting should be safe! I'd have to try it I believe. I've done it on some older vehicles!!!

EDIT: the snout on the rear of the converter is only about 2" long so you don't have to move it far!!!

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ron, what I did add my house was disconnected transmission, take the heads off the motor in the car, jacked the car as high as you can get it, then you will be able to take the motor off the motor mounts and drop it on the ground (not literally) on something soft that will slide and slide it out from under the car. Every thing needs to be off and it will be easy.

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
Jacking the ass end up can help. It lowers the core support a bit and you don't have to tilt as much to get it out which means less height needed. Did I miss where you can't pull it out side to lift it out and push back in? HOA BS?

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Jacking the ass end up can help. It lowers the core support a bit and you don't have to tilt as much to get it out which means less height needed. Did I miss where you can't pull it out side to lift it out and push back in? HOA BS?

no i said it was going to be pulled outside. i dont have a choice on that

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
yea starting to part it out, some threads in for sale section

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the part out. Hope you stick around the forum.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back