Preventive maintenance until moving to Europe

Discussion in 'Mustang Chit Chat' started by Musse, Jul 13, 2019 at 8:50 PM.

1. Musse

Musse Junior Member

Just bought my first Mustang GT - one with about 60k miles and from 2006 - excellent condition for the age and clear one-owner history! Completely stock and will stay so. The car is going to Finland for which it may be thinking later what bad it has done but we take good care of our cars despite cold... Anyhow, in general spare parts and repairs are more expensive (2-3 times I guess) on another side of the Atlantic so I try to be proactive - I have been planning to do following maintenance activities until shipment in the States:
    - Change the Spark Plugs as they are not mentioned to be changed yet
    - Change automatic transmission oil
    - When in Finland anti-rost protection handling to be done until Winter

Otherwise I have not foreseen any other major activities to be done at this point but would be glad to hear for suggestions! Are there any typical technical failures in these cars to be smart to prepare for? For example like buying spare alternator to be shipped now at once.

2. RLF9409

RLF9409 My blood runs Ford blue!

What are you doing in Finland?

As long as you can receive dhl and fedex you still have access to parts from most vendors in the states. It's just the shipping time and costs that suck.

Not sure of inspection requirements in Finland but you may want to have the car inspected including a brake test. My car had a frozen parking brake line that I had no idea wasn't working. It is a common problem in 05 and 06.

I don't drive mine from Oct to Apr because of the summer tires and Mustangs are terrible in the snow...

2006 Saleen SC #409 MMR 1000S stroked 4.6 3.0 pulley 1 piece driveshaft

3. Dino Dino Bambino

Dino Dino Bambino I have a red car

I live in Cyprus and ordering/shipping spare parts from the US hasn't been a problem for me. The only downside is the cost of shipping/custom charges/VAT so I tend to put in larger orders so that the shipping cost relative to the parts cost isn't as high.
    It's a good idea to have a spare alternator 'cause shipping one in is expensive. Get an 09-10 Denso unit and definitely change the spark plugs.
    When ordering a replacement engine oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, and cabin air filter, I'd recommend ordering at least two at a time so that you always have at least one spare. As time and budget allow, you can gradually add to your spare parts inventory in anticipation of future replacement 'cause your local Ford dealer won't have them.

RLF9409 likes this.
  4. RLF9409

And have a spare serpentine belt!

2006 Saleen SC #409 MMR 1000S stroked 4.6 3.0 pulley 1 piece driveshaft

5. stkjock

stkjock ---- Madmin ---- Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator S197 Team Member

Clutch
    Throw out
    Engine oil and filters

6. Sky Render

Sky Render Stig's Retarded Cousin S197 Team Member

I would change the plugs, belts, and ALL of the fluids. I do that every 50k miles on all my cars regardless.

Inspect all of the suspension parts, as well, especially the rubber bushings.

New pads and rotors wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

7. Pentalab

Pentalab forum member

100% synthetic Automatic transmission fluid..... like "RP Max ATF"..or similar.
    100% synthetic eng oil, like 0W-20... or (2nd choice)... 5W-20
    Put some.."fuel stabilizer" into the gas tank.
    Since you are shipping the car to Finland, you may as well pack the TRUNK with as many spare parts as will fit. You can get some more items on both rear seat floors..... and pass front floor.

Dino Dino Bambino likes this.
  8. Screamin_dutch

Screamin_dutch Member

Fuel pump

9. Dino Dino Bambino

Absolutely agree. You can ship a lot of extra items, especially heavier bulkier items that would be very expensive to ship at no extra cost.
    In that case, add a one-piece aluminum driveshaft to the growing shopping list.

10. RLF9409

I would check with the shipping company before packing the car with extra parts. I wanted to ship a new clutch and cats with my car and the shipping company told me I couldn't.

11. Dino Dino Bambino

When I shipped my cargo plus the Mustang inside a container from the UAE to Cyprus 2-1/2 years ago, I was allowed to pack the inside of the car to the rafters, so I did.