Pulling motor with or without trans (manual)

Pankerton96

Reaction score
Getting ready to pull my motor this weekend to rebuild it and I've been torn between trying to pull my motor with or without my 3650. Has anyone pulled with trans or is there not enough clearance with jacks? Disconnecting trans while laying on floor is last thing I wanna do but if it needs to be done then I guess it needs to be done, lol. Thanks for any advice and would appreciate any tips.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
When possible, I'll always pull the trans with the engine. It's so much easier to separate them out of the car, and then upon reassembly to get the clutch and trans on straight when out of the car! Plus, I've broken a clutch before by trying just get the engine in and lined up with the trans still in place (with an auto, it's not as bad, but I still prefer to do engine with trans together if possible).
It does take a little more lifting height and, removal of the hood.

Pankerton96

Reaction score
When possible, I'll always pull the trans with the engine. It's so much easier to separate them out of the car, and then upon reassembly to get the clutch and trans on straight when out of the car! Plus, I've broken a clutch before by trying just get the engine in and lined up with the trans still in place (with an auto, it's not as bad, but I still prefer to do engine with trans together if possible).
It does take a little more lifting height and, removal of the hood.

Thanks for reply. Exactly what I was thinking just wanted to get second advice

truckman7

forum member
Reaction score
When I pulled my motor/trans. I did with them together. Like Tex says. It's a lot easier. Just make sure the front clip is off and u pull the radiator. Gives u extra clearance in the front. Oh. And get a tilt with the hoist and put a bag over the yoke so u won't have a mess on the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
A couple pics:
V8 going in at angle (trans is connected to it); I used a board against the radiator and cardboard on top:
S2010529.jpg

V6 coming out at similar angle:
S2010522.jpg

I bolted chains to the transmission ears and used the leveler to help get more of the angle.
The hoist I used was over 9' tall.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Another idea is to unbolt the K-member and tranny mount and lift the car with the hoist. I've done it like this a few times but never with this car.

Speed+Clinic

forum member
Reaction score
it is easier to drop it from the bottom but yeah you can do it form the top. You do need a lvler/angler. There is no way to do it without that.

slow06stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Another idea is to unbolt the K-member and tranny mount and lift the car with the hoist. I've done it like this a few times but never with this car.

it is easier to drop it from the bottom but yeah you can do it form the top. You do need a lvler/angler. There is no way to do it without that.

I have to agree. I just dropped mine out of the bottom. I have taken one out of the top without the trans and tried the drop it out of the bottom with the trans this last time. IMO it was a lot better dropping the k member. I used a trans jack from Harbor Freight on the trans and wooden dolly on the engine side and it moves around easily.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I've always pulled just the motor. It's very easy. Remove the battery and tray, unbolt the exhaust at the manifolds, unhook the wire harness connectors, unbolt the trans, take the two motor mount bolts off, remove the fan, unhook coolant lines, unbolt the power steering and a/c, remove the intake manifold and cai along with the injectors and rails.

Pulling just the motor doesn't require removing the radiator or hood as long as you have a leveler on the hoist.

It's up to you, both methods will work. One requires removing the radiator and hood along with unbolting the driveline, trans support and the slave cylinder line along with more wire harness connectors.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
I removed engine alone. Hood and radiator left in. Had a leveler but wanted to burn it down after struggling to align tranny and engine. Leveler was very useful. But cut the cheap handle off of it and used a big socket on wrench.

sdleo29

forum member
Reaction score
I've always pulled just the motor. It's very easy. Remove the battery and tray, unbolt the exhaust at the manifolds, .

So when you say unbolt exhaust at manifolds, off the motor or at the mid pipe assuming one has long tubes like me. Sorry for stupid questions but I am trying to get as much information to attempt a motor swap myself.

Thanks

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
So when you say unbolt exhaust at manifolds, off the motor or at the mid pipe assuming one has long tubes like me. Sorry for stupid questions but I am trying to get as much information to attempt a motor swap myself.

Thanks

Keep the headers on the motor, unbolt at the back of the headers. Long tubes might need a little more room than stock manifolds. IIRC I had to unbolt the steering rack to get the steering shaft out of the way with MAC LTs.

Can't really remember because I only put the motor in with the MACs once.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
This did not occur to me - I could leave the transmission in place and remove the engine? How in the h e double hockeysticks do you line up the input shaft when putting the engine back in? I'll be installing a new clutch, also slave. How were you guys supporting the front of the transmission?

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
lots, and lots, of swearing to align it in car...that was my method

jack/jackstand on front end of transmission

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I've always done engine/trans out of the top. I'm about to do one and I'm going out the bottom this time. It's got HUGE headers on it though. Much easier out the bottom.

46addict

Reaction score
Any other tips on lining up the trans to the engine when the engine is installed from the top? I too, am trying to gather info.

truckman7

forum member
Reaction score
Any other tips on lining up the trans to the engine when the engine is installed from the top? I too, am trying to gather info.

I would go to harbor freight and invest in a trans jack. And for some more clearance I'd remove the intake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Make 2 alignment studs. Buy two 3" long bolts that are the same dia as the bellhousing bolts (i dont remember the size). Cut the heads off. Grind the head end down to a cone shape. Screw both of those into the back of the block, one on the bottom of the drivers side, one above the starter location. This will align the trans and not bind up the input shaft when you try to get the trans mated to the block.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back