Recommendations for good pads and rotors?

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
Is it possible to turn slotted rotors? Or would the bit get caught in the slot and gouge or break?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Here is my "no longer track worthy" rotor. About 6 track days or 2 sets of pads worth of use.
Ignore the rust, don't drive the car much with WFH. lol Literally just put them on about a month ago and drove maybe 100 miles..... gotta get beer every now and then.... lmao

image000000.jpg

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Is it possible to turn slotted rotors? Or would the bit get caught in the slot and gouge or break?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I never heard anyone cutting other than smooth rotors.
A system that uses grinding stones could do it. There were those machines for rotors that were too much work to remove from the hub, right on the car.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Believe I only have 5 track days on those... :( New one's are on order, trying to make the last track day of the year at BIR Oct 5th....
Heat checking, and I'm not all that surprised that it could happen that quickly. From an engineering forum,
Jun 23, 2005 · ... heat checking is also known as thermal fatigue crack propagation. Tensile stresses generated by exposure to temperature transients (with a delta T as low as 300 deg F) can generate low cycle, thermal fatigue damage, as well. The appearance is similar to a checker board pattern of surface cracks.
The common guideline is that as long as you can't catch your fingernail in any of the lines, the rotor still has usable life left. But you're on notice to inspect and recheck on a much tighter schedule.

Here's one of mine, hard to get the focus right but some of it's reasonably clear.

heat-checked rotor - web.jpg

Norm

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Yes I'm checking my rotors regularly lol.

On JJ's pic, looks like driving on the street with "track Only" pads.

JJ427R

Reaction score
Yes I'm checking my rotors regularly lol.

On JJ's pic, looks like driving on the street with "track Only" pads.
Have not been driving on the street with them other than to and from the track, but it was a 300 mile drive each way... ;)
My normal pads the last couple years have been Ferodo Racing DS2500 Street/Track on all 4 corners. My last track days at Road America I switched to Hawk DTC-30 on the front and HP+ on the rear. I'm going to check mine more often now....

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back