SCT Software Strikes Again...

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Last night, it was suppose to be pretty simple - take the start up tune from my email, open it with SCT Device Updater, download tune to device, plug it into car and install. Nope... too much to ask.

First off I dealt with the Windows 8/10 driver issue where the device would not connect properly, and then after I figured that out I got stuck on this other issue.

I go to select the file to transfer to the handheld and I get this error along the lines of "Invalid file type" - It's strange because the software recognizes it as a tune file. Also I double checked the serial number I gave them off my device and with the tuner and that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Now I'm stuck trying to reload the firmware on the handheld because I figured "what the hell, let's see if this works" and last time I had an issue with this tuner (circa 2011 I did the same thing). I found firmware 1.2.151 but after hours of waiting it doesn't look like it is making any progress. Not sure if that is the latest firmware build, but SCT doesn't seem to openly support this device any more.

I have a X3 3000-series. Any help would be really appreciated.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
FWIW their software, or at least the auto update part of it, just blew up on my Windows 10 laptop for no obvious reason. I ended up having to remove device updater and reinstall it from a fresh download. That at least got the latest version on there.

I've seen worse but I am not particularly impressed.

travelers

Reaction score
I'm still using 7 on one of my laptops and had the problem with an update last year so I had a copy of an older version which I reloaded and worked. If they are not supporting the older X3s I guess I'll end up upgrading to a X4. I might any way as I'm putting in a new clutch and trans this spring and it will save me the time to have the crank sensor relearned as I understand the X4 can handle that.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I believe the X3's are still supported. The Xcal2's are no longer supported.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I have an X3 and I just updated it a couple weeks ago when I tuned my 03.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

BlueDevil

BOOSTED!
Reaction score
Have you tried calling SCT? Their tech help has been great in my experience. They can access your laptop remotely and get everything updated. They also did a swap on my SF3 a couple weeks ago (non-warranty, but not expensive, either).

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Have you tried calling SCT? Their tech help has been great in my experience. They can access your laptop remotely and get everything updated. They also did a swap on my SF3 a couple weeks ago (non-warranty, but not expensive, either).

You must have caught them on a good day, or else you shit out a 4 leaf clover. SCT is notorious for their shitty service. Hell, I live right here about 10 miles from them and gave up trying to deal with them. Now I just drive to VMP and toss it on Justin's desk so he can fix it.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Ended up just saying fuck it. Dropped the car off at the tuner and told them to just charge me for a new one.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I feel your pain. SCT's shitty software dicked my laptop so hard I had to restore the thing. I re-downloaded livelink and updater, but haven't tried to use them again yet lol. I also updated my restore point... I hate having to download huge game patches lol.

Phil1098

Reaction score
This isn't good, my PC lost it's hard drive a few months back. I just ordered cams and a email tune. Don't have the cams yet, but I'm going to need to update my X3 and download the updater from SCT. Does it just not update only, as in could I put my current tune back in if need be? Before I update I put the car back to stock, don't want to lose at least my current tune.

Phil1098

Reaction score
I just downloaded the SCT updater and plugged in my X3. No issues at all, said it was current and everything is good. I guess I will see what it does when I try downloading my new tune when I get that. So far it doesn't seem like there is anything different, I went to their site and there was a section to download the updater for an X3, it doesn't look like they no longer support it.

Phil1098

Reaction score
To OP, maybe that unit is too many versions old. I got my email tune today and it loaded into my X3 in a few seconds with no issues at all. Mine is like the last of the X3s though, I'm a cheap bastard and the X4 was out when I bought mine a couple years ago.

JimC

Reaction score
I downloaded and reinstalled the sct device update. I don't get the error message now

dsmith658

forum member
Reaction score
Used a local hp tuner previously with good success.

I love my HP nGauge. When I want to log a run I touch it twice, and I am logging. No more cables to mess with, at least until I want to download logs from it. Then I have fuel pressure, boost, and all my ECU data in a single log.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Are the driver issues mostly with both windows 8.1 and 10 or just windows 10 ?
I don't know if this may be an option, but I downgraded from windows 10 back to windows 7 and that fixed the problem.. Just saying :shrug:

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Its with Windows 8 and 10. It's relatively easy to fix after I figured it out. Just go to the Device Manager and right click and search for a driver online. Miraculously enough that fixes the issue instantly.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back