Shitty Texas fuel!

hammerdown

forum member
Reaction score
Well boys, keep my Mustang in your prayers as I travel back to Arizona... Had to fill her up with 90 octane just now. Wasn't a choice. Not sure how well this is gonna work out. Dont have an 89 or an 87 tune Ican load. Added a bottle of do-nothing convenience store octane booster. We shall see....

-HD

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Lol how is it shitty Texas fuel? I dont know where you filled up but Texas has 93 everywhere. Sounds more like piss pour planning on your part. Thats like me trying to drive across country and not knowing where the e85 stations are at, would be pretty dumb on my part.

hammerdown

forum member
Reaction score
Into NM now. Just circled a Love's at Tucumcari. 86 88 & 90. Anyone know of a good phone app that will sort this out for me?

mustang02

forum member
Reaction score
Into NM now. Just circled a Love's at Tucumcari. 86 88 & 90. Anyone know of a good phone app that will sort this out for me?

Gasbuddy, sort by premium. Don't do any WOT and you'll be fine.

hammerdown

forum member
Reaction score
yeah I'm going pretty easy on it staying out of the boost for sure. cruise set at 80 so far so good

I'm not going to worry about it anymore at this point. when I get home I'll dump a couple of gallons of VP 100 in it. top her off with premium and all will be well

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If u have ur SCT with you, knock a few degrees of timing out of the tune.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Like mentioned nothing to worry about I use 87 for road trips as well I just don't go high rpm full boosting the bitch.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
I feel ya. All they have here is e-10. I'm used to pure gas so I've been taking it easy. On the bright side this should speed up my ethanol conversion.

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
I feel ya. All they have here is e-10. I'm used to pure gas so I've been taking it easy. On the bright side this should speed up my ethanol conversion.

So get it tuned for 93 with ethanol and it will make more power than pure 93...The ethanol will help keep detonation at bay.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Ethanol free gas isn't a good idea. It will contain mtbe which is fairly nasty for your motor.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
What problem? Ethanol is a fantastic fuel that allows for higher compression, lower combustion temps, and more power. Even in quantities as low as 10%.

I have a 2012 Focus that makes more power on 87 octane gas with 2.0 liters than my 1971 Chevelle with a 350 made with any type of gas. The 12:1 compression motor of the Focus wouldn't be possible without ethanol in the gasoline. At least not with 87 octane.

I've been using a 10% blend whenever possible since it was first available to me in 1979. We called it gasohol back then. Heard lots of horror stories from people who didn't use it. Never knew anyone who had troubles using it.

Pure gas is fine. Mixing it with ethanol gas is when the problem starts.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
What problem? Ethanol is a fantastic fuel that allows for higher compression, lower combustion temps, and more power. Even in quantities as low as 10%.

I have a 2012 Focus that makes more power on 87 octane gas with 2.0 liters than my 1971 Chevelle with a 350 made with any type of gas. The 12:1 compression motor of the Focus wouldn't be possible without ethanol in the gasoline. At least not with 87 octane.

I've been using a 10% blend whenever possible since it was first available to me in 1979. We called it gasohol back then. Heard lots of horror stories from people who didn't use it. Never knew anyone who had troubles using it.

The issue with e-10 is most cars aren't made to handle it. Not really anyways.

We're all aware special considerations have to be made with pumps and other fuel components to run e-85 problem free. It's a fantastic fuel, but it takes a little more prep work to really shine. Just my $0.02

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back