Sky Render's Build Thread

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Interesting...I wouldn't have figured the lubricant would have anything to do with how the gears work. Then again...I can barely explain how a Torsen works.

It has to do with how the diff locks up. Look for another article explaining its installation and theory of operation in the upcoming weeks. :thumb:

Since I seem to be pretty much copying your mod list, about how much is installation going to cost us?

I was quoted 3 hours for just the posi unit. (It's more than that if you're swapping gears; mine are staying stock.) You also have to replace the bearings while you're in there. The bearings run about $40.

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
The only downside is that the bias ratio of the TrueTrac is "only" 3.7:1

Whoa whoa playa! Where you get that #? Specifically "the source". I've always wondered what it was because people either say it is 2.7:1 or it's somewhere between 2.7 and your 3.7. Never seen 3.7 definitively. If that's the case, I could care less about a Torsen T2R. Unless there is another factor to account for that I'm not considering.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Whoa whoa playa! Where you get that #? Specifically "the source". I've always wondered what it was because people either say it is 2.7:1 or it's somewhere between 2.7 and your 3.7. Never seen 3.7 definitively. If that's the case, I could care less about a Torsen T2R. Unless there is another factor to account for that I'm not considering.

Sorry, Eaton claims 3.5:1:

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Automotive/DifferentialsLockingDifferentials/PCT_317264

Also, a LOT of people outside of S197 forum use the Eaton TrueTrac for road racing and autocrossing. It's very popular in the FF Cobra crowd and those who road race older muscle cars.

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
That's close enough. It's enough to make me go the Eaton route come mod time. The price is right and you would have to be negligent to destroy it.

neema

forum member
Reaction score
No, it's a standard OBD-II plug, so you'd have to unplug the gauge if you want to use a different scan tool. I wonder if it would be possible to install a second OBD-II port, though?

I wonder if something like this OBD2 splitter would solve that issue? There would be a lot of cables down there, but some zip ties may make it an easy solution to run more than one accessory plugged into the port.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I wonder if something like this OBD2 splitter would solve that issue? There would be a lot of cables down there, but some zip ties may make it an easy solution to run more than one accessory plugged into the port.

Sorry, I just saw this. That's an interesting piece. I'd definitely consider playing with it. It would allow the use of the Aeroforce gauge(s) and a data logger!

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hmmmmm...

1235209_807815792582334_9183509460132655301_n.jpg

neema

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry, I just saw this. That's an interesting piece. I'd definitely consider playing with it. It would allow the use of the Aeroforce gauge(s) and a data logger!

I ordered one for using the Aeroforce gauge + Aim Solo DL. I'll let you know how it goes.

How's the Truetrac?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
^^^ HAHA! :roflmao:

First autocross with the new LSD is on Saturday. So far, I've only driven it on the street, but I REALLY like the TrueTrac.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Yes, great article. That got me off looking at diff choices for when I finally burn up my stock Trac-Lok.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My current exhaust sounds pretty damn good, but it drones on the highway. A LOT. I've been looking at Corsa for a while, as they have a very nice exotic tone to them, and they advertise their systems as "drone free." So when Corsa contacted my magazine and expressed interest in my installing and reviewing some of their parts, I jumped at the opportunity.

IMG_20140516_163151_359.jpg

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back