So, Is She a Goner?

07 Boss

Reaction score
So we’re ordering parts right now and I’m going to go ahead and get the CS/gt500 rear bumper with the diffuser. My question is should I paint the diffuser satin silver or black.

JJ427R

Reaction score
Bumper silver but diffuser black to match your tail lights and rear panel.....
Don't those diffusers all come in black? Never seen one painted any other color?
Roush one is black as are the side splitters and front lower....

Last edited:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Yes, they're textured black plastic. Pain in the ass to paint. Really needs to be smoothed first, then adhesion promoter, primer, paint, clear ..... I'd just leave it black.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Bumper silver but diffuser black to match your tail lights and rear panel.....
Don't those diffusers all come in black? Never seen one painted any other color?
Roush one is black as are the side splitters and front lower....
they aren't painted from the factory, they are textured plastic, like the side rockers and front splitter.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I thought the GT500's came with the same bumper but color matched?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
bumper yes, diffuser no

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Best close-up I have of the rear bumper and diffuser ... it's not whole, but obviously it flips to the other side

20160405_305s_8.JPG

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
GT500's have the entire diffuser black, all the way around. But CS's, same bumper, have it color matched on the sides. Or in my case, a Black CS, they left it textured black like a GT500 would have. Like others have said, I'd leave it all black all around. Easier and cheaper

Shaggy

Head PooBaa of the Asylum
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Keep it black but it looks like it won't match your side panels as I see in the first pic, they are color matched..

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="JJ427R, post: 2435555, member: They are never the same even if you straighten em. .[/QUOTE]

i have been a auto body repair tech since the early 80's.
with modern electronic measuring systems, modern pulse mig welders and squeeze type resistance welders, duplicate factory spot welds, being available for for quite a while now. this statement is a olds wives tale.
it's still somewhat true in billy joe jimbobs corner autobody repair shop with the 50+ year old equipment. but a modern certified bodyshp is capable of repairing that car back to like new condition and you will never be able to tell it was repaired. and you will probably get a warranty backing up the repairs done also.
i regularly do significant frame repairs on almost new cars, less than 1000 miles on them. and when they leave the shop all frame measurements are within 1MILLIMETER of factory specifications. when the cars are done they will look and drive just like the new car they were before the crash.

to the original poster. your car is a easy fix. you will probably need a new 1/4 panel, rear body panel and maybe a partial trunk floor replacement. with new parts the job will be done in 2 weeks easy. unfortunately they will probably use salvage body parts so it will require more effort, more time, to repair.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Well, parts are ordered, mostly. Having an issue finding the flush mount window louvers. Might have to put the factory glass in and go another route. Bummer, I really liked those.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I missed that. Don’t see any unpainted on their site. Might be worth an email or call if he has already done that.

I think his car is Vapor, wonder if Silverhorse has more colors or an unpainted pair

Talked to Marcel at SHR. They don't think they are doing another production run and all they have is two or three different painted ones. He suggested to buy one and they will include their masking kit and have my shop repaint it.

OR

I could just go with the factory glass which I have somewhere and get the Cervinis C-series window scoops to go along with my C-series side scoops which I already have on there.

I always like the SHR louvers. I always thought they looked the best with the proper retro styling cues. And you could see (kinda) through them unlike any of the other options.

08gtlarscar

forum member
Reaction score
I have my OEM 1/4 windows available as I also swapped them out for the SHR ones.

If you can't find yours you can have mine for free as they are just collecting dust. I am also in the Las Vegas area.

Last edited:

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
if you are careful use a heat gun to warm up the louver. then have someone push on the back side of the louver when warm. the louver will pop out pretty easily.
i did this when i painted my car. unfortunately i over heated 1 side and it's junk, the other side it worked perfectly.
silverhorse racing has 2 listings for unpainted louvers on ebay. if they are discontinuing them i will try to buy a extra set.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back