Sound System?

slowstang06

forum member
Reaction score
So after riding around with people with nice systems, i feel like its time I upgraded from the Shaker 1000.... Has anybody been able to fit 2 15s in their trunks? I'm wanting 2 15s and a 1000w amp... will this be any good?

Any other opinions, lemme know! I'm new to the stereo type things

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you want to go deaf, then your plan is sound. You are going to need some custom work to fit 2 15's in there; this trunk isn't very friendly for subs if you want some usable space afterwards.

I'd check some car audio sites for box building techniques & tips so you can get a good gauge of how much space you will need. It will be a lot with 2 15's just to give you a heads up.

There isn't a 'best' brand out there. How you hear things is completely subjective. It's no different than what happens here with these aftermarket companies. 95% of people here are fine with a vendor such as Livernois, but there are 5% that will call you a dick rider if you like anything about them. Same thing happens with car audio equipment. There is a large contingency that likes Kicker and there is another group that will say that they suck. Do your research and buy what makes you happy.

Last edited:

blown05gt

Reaction score
it depends on what you are looking for and how deep your pockets are when it comes to audio just like anything else.... i would definitely not recommend 15's in a mustang.. even if you are looking to beat your brains out that can be accomplished with two 12's if properly done.. i had two memphis m3 12's in a 7.2 cu. ft. box with a memhis mclass 1000d, memphis sq6.5 components all around with two memphis mclass 400's 3 optima redtops and 0 guage wiring through out with other components in my 99 and did a best of 149.5 in spl and it was a sound quality setup that i built as a demo car for my old shop... as far as brands go i do really like memphis but as stated before it is personal preference... currently i am running a pair of infinity 10's with a alpine v12 500 and it sounds pretty good for what it is and i am content... if you want some ideas or have any other questions feel free to ask and i will help you out the best i can.. i have been out of the stereo game for a lil while but i did it for a long time and used to own a shop....
carlos

blown05gt

Reaction score
oh and also you dont always have to spend alot of money on the equipment you just have to match things up properly and a good install is worth more than anything when it comes to audio.....
carlos

TotoGT06

forum member
Reaction score
Skip the 15s, thats ghetto and you dont have a SUV, get 12s or 10s. Even 8s hit very hard like mine do.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score

musshoss

forum member
Reaction score
thats a nice kicker system and all but its soo pricey. i have had great experiences with alpine. looking to upgrade my two type R 12's to the type X's soon. You wanna talk about beating your brains out....15's though, not for me. just too much and you need the right amount of power to make them sound right. plus they are bigger and weigh more. just get you some type r's and a 1000w amp. trust me, you wont be disappointed.

slowstang06

forum member
Reaction score
yeah its kinda expensive to ge t the stock back..i was looking into the alpine type rs but i couldnt pass up the cheap 15s and the 1000w amp that comes with them... im thinking about buling a box for myself... basic measurements (without the subs) like just eyeballing it makes it look plausible... if anything i could take the rear seat out right?

TotoGT06

forum member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Infamous

BMW
Reaction score
bigger is not always better. i had a resonant engineering SE12, a single 12 powered by a 800 watt RMS @ 2 ohms amp. i beat the shit out of some other setups with multiple "bad ass subs" that were either poorly designed, poorly installed, or just plain had shit equipment.

one of the better off-the-shelf woofers are alpine type R's. i wouldnt bother with the type X's if you want louder, they are geared towards SQ and refinement; while they're clean, the R's can get plenty loud anyways for what they are. pair them up with a quality set of component speakers, amp them, and you can enjoy all your fav music to the fullest extent

Last edited:

Racingtheburg

forum member
Reaction score
I'm building custom tubes for 2 12's right now for my GT to be able to take in and out with ease. Also I will try to stuff 4 12's with my shaker 1000 still in :) Lightweight as well for my design. I will share when completed.

Alter Ego Trip

Pot Stirring Aficianado
Reaction score
So after riding around with people with nice systems, i feel like its time I upgraded from the Shaker 1000.... Has anybody been able to fit 2 15s in their trunks? I'm wanting 2 15s and a 1000w amp... will this be any good?

Any other opinions, lemme know! I'm new to the stereo type things

Wow, a lot of misinformation in this thread.

Personally, I would first invest in some sound dampening. The quality of your system is only as good as it's environment. For every 3db's of cabin noise reduction, you effectively double the loudness of your stereo. A layer of sound dampener, with a layer of CCF and MLV added over the top will make a huge improvement in NVH.

As someone else mentioned; sound is very subjective. I'm an SQ guy so my opinion probably differs a lot from others on here. You don't need 2 15's to get some nice clean hard hitting bass. Box construction will play a huge roll in the frequency extension, SPL, etc., of the driver. Winisd is a great program to map each driver's characteristics in a given enclosure. One of the cleanest and most accurate drivers I have owned is a JBL w12gti MKII. They are reasonably priced and can hit extremely hard without getting sloppy. Older RE's are great drivers as well. The newer ones not so much.

If you truly want to get the most out of your system, invest in a good processor. JBL's MS8 and Audison's Bit One can really make a dramatic difference in how good your system sounds.

JMTC, I'm sure I'll get some change back. :)

Impact 5.0

Don't hate..Appreciate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Exile Audio or Hertz if you want to pay for quality products... Not saying whats listed above inst good but my experience these are the best.

Also you want a good head unit.. 5 watt outputs.

Alter Ego Trip

Pot Stirring Aficianado
Reaction score
Exile Audio or Hertz if you want to pay for quality products... Not saying whats listed above inst good but my experience these are the best.

Also you want a good head unit.. 5 watt outputs.

The HX300D is a great bang for the buck woofer but there are others that will outperform it for less. I loved my Mille though.

You don't necessarily need 5 watt pre out's, unless you're fighting noise issues. The only thing a 2volt will do is require you to turn the amp gain up a hair more. If you are really concerned about noise, go with a balanced input from the HU to the amp. ;)

stangstud09

Respect my authority
Reaction score
i have a probox with memphis audio amp and 10" sub for 150$ . i think memhpis audio is the way 2 go man, and a single 10 is all you need. trust me.

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
i custom built a "stealth box" like JL Audio has only I didnt pay near that much for it. It turned out having almost exactly 1 cubic foot of air space and my 10" alpine type R turned out sounding better than my JL 10w3-v2. I am running it off of a 1200watt mono block alpine amp. Doesnt add much weight and sounds amazing. Anything more would be annoying, and I used to compete in bass competitions back in the day with my F-150.

I also drilled a set of Alpine Type-R tweeters in the doors. That really crisped up the sound of the highs a lot, I was pretty impressed considering that they are only running off the built in amp on the head unit.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back